April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Southern Sport, Papeman, SKB, Mike Harrell, Parabola, Kolar Dickson), 184 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,432
Posts544,706
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
That's something we don't usually see. I find a few sora rails snipe hunting freshwater fields and marshes. I haven't shot any in years; nor have I shot saltwater clapper rails, marsh hens, in decades. Both species are underhunted for sure. Nice bag of birds. Gil

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I don't remember seeing the Soras in the Georgia salt marshes where I've hunted Clappers. The Soras I have seen are in fresh water,up the river from where the salt water is. Same as GLS...Geo

There's not much overlap - I have a sora hole that gets loaded about the same time every year and it's very fresh albeit tidal water. I shoot a few just to say I've done it then leave the rest.

The Clappers are usually in the spartina flats much closer to the coast.

My son coming back to the boat with a clapper and a Citori...

Sidelock
Sidelock

How has the Francis Marion National Forest recovered since Hugo, in '89? I drove through from Moncks Corner to McClellanvile in April of '90 and I can still remember the devastation to those beautiful pine forests. I was competing in the SC Muzzleloading Championship in McClellanville when i passed through and saw that. It was "other worldly". I've not been through there in so many years, Is Awendaw still there?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
How has the Francis Marion National Forest recovered since Hugo, in '89? I drove through from Moncks Corner to McClellanvile in April of '90 and I can still remember the devastation to those beautiful pine forests. I was competing in the SC Muzzleloading Championship in McClellanville when i passed through and saw that. It was "other worldly". I've not been through there in so many years, Is Awendaw still there?

SRH

Hugo broke my heart but other than the wild turkey and white-breasted nuthatch numbers still being low, just about everything is back like it was. Poor management of the FMNF has done way more damage than Hugo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rubberhead
Poor management of the FMNF has done way more damage than Hugo.

That's saying something. Hugo was a bad blow.

Best wishes, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a photo of hunting marsh hen hunting in the Georgia Sea Islands. On the back of the photo: "12/9/1928". For those not familiar with marsh hen shooting, marsh hen shooting is the edible version of shooting mylar balloons. They are abundant in the spartina fields of Georgia's and SC's coast where half the remaining spartina marshland exists on the Eastern coast.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems a lot of us were in FMNF after Hugo. I was there within a week. It was quite the mess. I am curious to learn the details of how it has been mismanaged.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Seems a lot of us were in FMNF after Hugo. I was there within a week. It was quite the mess. I am curious to learn the details of how it has been mismanaged.

First let me position myself - I'm a hunter and have killed just about every game species in the forest except for deer. The list includes wild turkey, woodcock, snipe, squirrel, fox squirrel (when they were legal), dove, bobwhite and wood ducks. It's one of the few places where I know I can reliably catch a redfin pickerel. I'm also an avid bird watcher and saw my first Red-cockaded woodpecker and Bachman's sparrows in the FMNF. I'm a long-distance hiker that has hiked the entire Palmetto Trail section that runs through the FMNF from Awendaw to Bonneau. And, I’m a native plant enthusiast and there’s about a half dozen really unique wildflowers that I have only ever found in the FMNF. I say all of this I’m a big supporter of multi-use management.

The biggest single management misstep, in my opinion, is infrequent or miss-timed control burns. Example: back in the heyday of the FMNF they never burned when wild turkey were on the nest…now it’s an all-too-common facebook rant is someone finding a burned up turkey nest. Areas that used to be havens for both flora and fauna are impenetrable thickets devoid of avian chirps or whistles. I don’t know if it goes back to funding or whether the “new” management techniques are not working but something is different and not in a good way…

FMNF Pine Lily:

FMNF Black-eye Suzie:

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gorgeous photos, Rubberhead.

I was in FMNF for both RCWs and Bachman's Sparrows. The old pines snapped right at the RCW's nest cavity as often as not. It was a surreal landscape.

All the NF's in the SE were shifting to managing for more open, not less open understory. Largely due to RCWs but also other species of plants and animals. However, their abilities to burn have been dramatically hampered by climate change. The number of days that meet safe burning conditions is much less than it used to be. At least that was the case when I left that part of the world for the last time.

Hugo blew the roof off of FMNF and with that, a lot of light started hitting the forest floor, so dog hair thickets and worse were to be expected. There was no way they could manage to make it what it was when the whole architecture of the place changed overnight.

I wasn't at FMNF much. Most of my time was further inland on the bomb plant.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oldest son and I broke out the Elsie's for a duck hunt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally found something that is perfect for wild turkey legs. A slow-cooked carnitas recipe. Unbelievably tasty.

_________

Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.