March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Southern Sport, Borderbill, damascus, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 46 1 2 44 45 46
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Greyduck
Oldest son and I broke out the Elsie's for a duck hunt.

What load are y'all shooting in those nice old guns?

I've shot just about every soft non-toxic load imaginable and the only one that was close to lead was Kent Matrix (a poly-tungsten) load. Back at the turn of the century Federal made a similar load that was very light (one ounce in a 12 gauge) but it hit hard. They didn't make it for long. I had varying experiences with Bismuth loads but I think the Kent version out now is as good as any. Fiocchi, which I normally like, offered two density of Tungsten-ploy loads neither seemed to hit hard. I finally gave up and had choke tubes installed in a 1979 BSS and shoot steel through it now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
I just finished breakfast and that picture of your great looking meal has me hungry already! Great utilization of game meat.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, Thanks for the compliment. If you want to try it, this is the recipe. When I read it, I thought, no way! Cooking with citrus is no my kind of thing, but it turn out to be perfect, especially for turkey legs which are slightly problematic to begin with.

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipe...as-street-tacos

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rubberhead
Originally Posted By: Greyduck
Oldest son and I broke out the Elsie's for a duck hunt.

What load are y'all shooting in those nice old guns?

I've shot just about every soft non-toxic load imaginable and the only one that was close to lead was Kent Matrix (a poly-tungsten) load. Back at the turn of the century Federal made a similar load that was very light (one ounce in a 12 gauge) but it hit hard. They didn't make it for long. I had varying experiences with Bismuth loads but I think the Kent version out now is as good as any. Fiocchi, which I normally like, offered two density of Tungsten-ploy loads neither seemed to hit hard. I finally gave up and had choke tubes installed in a 1979 BSS and shoot steel through it now.

with an ounce and a quarter of #5 bismuth the following works wonderfully on mallards and pheasants.
Hodgdon Longshot Ched. 209 WAA12R 31.4 gr 7,200 PSI 1,350 fps

From https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Could use a tich less powder and a roll crimp for even less pressure.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,
Thanks for the recipe. My idea of "problematic meat" would also include Pheasant legs.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, I know what you mean about pheasant legs, but I find that most of my favorite recipes will handle them well enough. However, with this recipe, I'm reconsidering my butchering practices for them this fall. I kill quite a few pheasants and this year is shaping up very well for birds so far.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Greg, time for a 2020 thread. Folks will have dove pics on Tuesday, I suspect, and I know good and well I'll have some come Saturday...Geo

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A bit confused here re the first recipe. How do you braise in all that beer? I thought the searing of the meat in some fat or oil came first, then the braising began after adding the mix of liquids and solids. Perhaps the sentence was just out of place.

And IMHO, the legs and thighs are the best meat on a pheasant.

Page 46 of 46 1 2 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.