March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (DAM16SXS, GeorgeGibbs505, jcn, SKB, 1 invisible), 861 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 45 46
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, the opener for doves will sooner be here. And with that opener, the beginning of another hunting season for most of us. So it's time to start this thread again for this year.

Every year we see some great pictures of the members here and their dogs, family, friends and of course game. I know this year will be the same.

I do have one request. Please keep this thread on track. Please, no personal attacks or sarcastic comments to those who post in good faith. Let's just have fun with this one.

I wish everyone here a successful,fun and above all safe season!

Best Regards!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I was hoping we'd hear from you again this year with a new game/gun thread. Always my favorite of the year...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
I know it's that time of year when your excellent thread starts up again! I'm hoping for a good season to post some nice photos.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yay, my favorite every year!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Woohoo! Thanks Greg!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I can't follow a bird dog, walk across plowed dove fields, or stumble through the squirrel woods any more; all I can do now is hunt from a deer blind that I can drive to and admire the hunting you guys do, especially when you carry the young kids. Post a lot of photos so we all can have a good season.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

My favorite topic too! Jim

NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
You brought up an interesting point, as I too find that whatever kind of season I have, it is greatly enhanced by the photos and tales of other members here.
Karl

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Blues 1, Steve and the Spaniel's 0, but it is not over yet.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Today was opening of Special Teal. As teal hunting goes, it was pretty lousy.

Gus actually made a great retrieve on a wounded diving teal after many dives in pursuit and pulling up half the pond bottom in the process. But this was his proudest moment.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not many birds here, but Gus made the best of it.

This is probably why the birds were so shy. That frog on the decoy scared them off

We have mud, yes, we have mud.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a cool looking gun Brent. What is that?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a Greener Fascile Princeps, 40 guinea model, made in 1902.

I should add, it cleans up very nicely, just like Gus.

Last edited by BrentD; 09/03/19 08:04 AM.

_________

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

3 flushes, two really really small birds and a hen. Shot 4 times, no birds. All the shots were screaming down hill, seems impossible to get below them with enough lead.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pic, Brent. Nice gun and some mighty fine eating birds, too. Congrats on a good hunt.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted for two of my favorite people, John Roberts and son Ross Roberts. Opening day in MS. These guys are the salt of the earth.

They're killing me, as I wait for Saturday coming, but I'm happy for them. BTW, Ross is the handsome one. wink grin

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. And you're right on the looks.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A little unusual post for this thread, but GA has an alligator season on a draw system. My oldest son George Jr. drew this year and has been hunting several nights lately. He got this one night before last at a lake south of town:

The law requires that the gator be caught first with a hook or some other method before being killed. George jr. shot this one with a crossbow with a line attached to the dart. The line was supposed to detach with a float to track the animal's movements, but the line got wrapped around the bow somehow and he found himself kneeling on the prow of the boat with the crossbow in his hands, and an eight foot gator pulling on the other end of the line.

He got the line loose after a pretty scary "nantucket sleigh ride" and they followed the gator into some lilly pads where they could pull him to the top. Then they threw a weighted treble on a rope over the gator and pulled him close enough to be harpooned.

Finally George jr. killed the gator with a 12ga bangstick. After all that story, I kind of felt sorry for the gator.

It is at the processors now to be skinned and the meat processed into steaks with the white meat and sausage with the dark...Geo

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Do you enjoy Gator George? I have eaten some from Florida but did not care for it.

Looks like fun night out on the water though. Good for George jr!

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll eat it cut in nuggets and fried, but is not a favorite...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tastes like chicken, chews like tires. smile

Sounds like quite a battle though.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had gator tail at Papadeauxs seafood house and it was outstanding!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is really good if you tenderize it. A Jaccard works wonders on any wild game. It will make turkey breasts as tender as chicken fingers

Sidelock
Sidelock

Missed the opener last weekend but bagged six this AM with the old Boss #1.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely Boss gun and I like the seat as well. Another 1st of season shot for me with J Blanch & Son hammer-gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like you nailed him good Geo.
Must weigh half an ounce more than he started out.

O.M

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Geo. That Blanch is a beauty as well. I went back to the same field this afternoon at 5 oclock. The birds flew thick for 45 minutes. I was the only person in the whole field and so just had to to wait for crossers. I wont confess to how many shotsI expended bagging an additional four birds. What a great time of the year. Dove season truly invigorates me for The coming Upland season.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

No pics, but a good shoot this afternoon with my grandsons Jackson and Lane, and about 15 other fellows that I don't get to see but about once or twice a year. I took a limit with my .410 FAIR Iside and the grandsons had 9 and 10 each. Very hot by the thermometer, at about 97, but with a 34% humidity it was really not that bad. It wasn't a barn burner, but there were birds drifting in steady all afternoon.

Geo, I have a seat that looks like that one a whole lot. I found it under a pivot of mine a few years ago, where someone had been poaching and left it. I used it today. Very well made "blind chair", with swivel, four legs and the whole thing folds flat to carry. Pretty nice for a confiscated item.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a funeral to go to today. So I missed my own shoot. 14 others did not. Boys got their limits and almost everyone else did. I get to go tomorrow to another field. Will be just my sons and one friend with me. Not as many birds at this field. But they all were big, mature virds opening day. With a weeks education they ought to be a real challenge. Taking my big bore, Winchester Model 12 Skeet gun in 28 gauge. That was my first shotgun that I got when I was 12. It was new then and I was almost new myself. Its a classic and Im not far behind. Shoot well my friends and enjoy the company. Too many will be gone too soon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I used to just sit on a wooden shotgun shell crate turned on end as a kid. As the years have taken their toll, I've used a lot of different blind seats trying to be comfortable.

We use blind stools in Canada with the kind of swivel base my pictured chair has and when I found a chair with that base I bought it. I like how steady the adjustable legs are and the fact it swivels 360 degrees...Geo

It is heavy though.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/08/19 09:32 AM. Reason: added final sentence
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a version of Owen's stool:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAND-MADE-STRON...L-/191835937233
Yesterday not many birds. Had a good time, but I may have been hallucinating from the heat which may have lowered perception of what fun is. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You cant nap in that thing though

Sidelock
Sidelock

We shot again this afternoon. The gun in this picture is a new to me Cogswell & Harrison AT with sideplates. First time I've shot this one but it performed perfectly and looked good when the birds were not flying. Better shoot today and many picked up limits. I opted for comfort in the shade but still had a few shots...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

For anyone interested, Academy Sports has a chair almost identical to mine and George's for $59.95, but in black. Mine is marked Cabela's, and has olive drab frame and legs and black mesh seat and back. Looks like the exact same design.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-deluxe-swivel-chair#repChildCatid=4739524

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan- your chair, and Brother Newberns as well, were most assuredly designed by a serious hunter- well worth the asking price. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fine lookin' "Coggie" Suh. Not being into British fine guns, what is the "AT" series in C&H lineup. What are the: barrels, as to length and choking? Chambers? 2&1/2" Nice older series RST shell box- worthy of a photo page in DGJ, IMO anyway. Miss one or two for this old "damn Yankee" if you would. I'd dang near run into a forest fire wearing kerosene BVD's to get a legal dove season here in MI-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thats a far cry from a five gallon bucket and a burlap feed bag folded over double for padding I had in my youth. When I look at todays equipment, clothing, decoys, ammo and stuff we take so for granted its hard to remember where we started from. Five gallon buckets or crates for seats, surplus army equipment for clothes, or just wear what we had, one brand of ammo, plastic decoys about as life like as a road killed animal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Morning Fox. The AT model "Coggie" stands for Avant Tout. A multi lingual like yourself would recognise the french for "ahead of all".

Standard 2.5" limey chambers, in 30" barrels. It shot like IC and Mod to me, but I haven't measured the chokes.
Best...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fellow forum member invited me to shoot yesterday afternoon with his son and a few others on a 15 acre millet field at his son's farm. The heat has broken a little since this last weekend and a nice breeze made it a great day to be in the field. Not a barn burner, but a good shoot. Some limits, but most guys bagged about eight or nine like I did.I used a 1911 Fox BE I've just gotten back from Bill Graham for barrel blacking and some high quality checkering on the replacement stock...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn, George. Nice gun! I think it's time I met with John and organized an intervention plan. You can't wear those ear muffs when we do it. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill is working on some barrels for me as we speak. Beginning of the season has been a bust, but we are going this Sunday

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No pictures, no shots fired, no quarry seen in this mornings muzzleloader deer hunt but it was an incredible morning on the mountain. I heard the first bugle not 200 yards from the truck and it was non stop for the next 2 hours. I was consistently seeing them from 6:45 to 8:15 and at about 7:30 had to stop my walk in because they were bedding to the North and West of me. I sat there watching cows, calves and several satellite bulls all between 60 and 100 yards away in the timber for the next 45 minutes the whole time the heard bull was bugling but I never did see him. One nice 6x6 was playing around in front of me about 100 yards out for at least 10 minutes, really wide but still not fully mature. He will be a monster next year or the year after. What great fun even if I did not have an Elk tag.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my favorite photograph from this year and for me maybe ever.

I was lucky enough to draw one of 3 pronghorn tag in small hunting
unit here in Utah.

Utah has a program where you can mentor youths and share your tag. I did that this year and mentored my 13 year old grandson on his first big game hunt letting him hunt under my supervision and use my tag.

I had scouted the unit several times and had found some decent bucks. Anyone would take a good first Antelope for a young man.

Our hunt started Friday morning. I had taken a drive around the unit and had spotted what might be the best buck I have ever seen on the hoof. I just hoped I could find him again in the morning. As you know we did find him.

We spotted him bedded down on small hill about 1500 yards away. There was know way we could stock up the valley so we decided to leave him and go up on the plateau and hope we could get near him before he wandered off.

We got lucky and managed to hit the edge of the ridge about 125 yards from the still bedded down buck. I put my pack down and had Dallin get prone. The buck sensed something was up and stood up and trotted a few steps and stopped. Dallin, aimed what will now be his Ruger American Predator 6.5mm Creedmoor, fired and made a perfect shot. The buck went down where he stood. I doubt he heard the shot.

When I got close both down antelope, wow he was an impressive Pronghorn. I don't think my grandson fully appreciates just how impressive this buck is.

I took head and cape to the taxidermist this morning. We rough measured and he might make book. Time will tell is he measure up. Either way, Dallin shot the Pronghorn of a lifetime.

Sharing this experience and getting a young man started hunting was much more fulfilling than if I had shot this buck.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Slowpokebill,
Good on you for starting another fine young man on the right road. When you are long gone, he will be telling his grand son(s) about this hunt. Good on him for a fine shot.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that smug, grown-up subdued smile on the young mans face, knowing full well he wants to be grinning like a Cheshire cat!!!! And rightfully so!! Good story and good picture and good on you Bill for getting this youngster started off right!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am happy for you both, knowing how special it is to help a grandson with his hunting firsts. That really is a nice goat.

Thanks for posting that. You've got some mighty good eating, now.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

These aren't the greatest pictures but what the heck. We were tealing today. It was a spectacular morning leading up to a long day of rain and storms. But for a few hours, it was perfect. And we got some birds. In fact, using that old Cashmore clunker that Ted so vehemently dislikes and some blackpowder loads, I managed to drop 3 teal with the first shot. Multiple birds with one shot is new to me (except at skeet), so this was a nice bonus. We ended up with 4 birds total.

This was a new location for me, and when the big ducks and especially geese become legal, it should be a spectacular location. we had Canadas dropping in on our heads the whole time.

_________

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my first post since this thread started. Some great posts here, keep them coming!

Yesterday was our Grouse/Hun opener. Didn't do squat! My son Jim and I went up to check on our duck slough and decided to hunt by it. Didn't see any birds at all.

Today however was different, went to an old reliable spot and was able to get a double on a covey flush.

More import, it was my new GSP pup Addie's first hunt. It was a whole new experience for her. Her she worked well, but didn't quite know what was going on, but she has time to learn. For her first day, I was happy with her. I think she'll dod well. Just a matter of time.

Anyway, here's a couple of her in the field:

The birds, I used my 16b John Wilkes

Best,

Greg

Last edited by gjw; 09/15/19 07:39 PM.

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
I think that Addie did extremely well for her first hunt, and a great day was had. Here's hoping your season continues to go well.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, few things are more fun than watching a good dog learn and figure out whats going on when they first start hunting. You can almost hear that click as she figures out things. Enjoy the ride.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, thanks Karl and KY for the kind words. It sure is fun with a new dog, at times it does stress your nerves a bit. As I said just a matter of time and more experience.

Anyway, my son Jim and I went out after he got back from school, we hit one area we do well most of the time. Today was a good one. I got 2 and Jim 1. We took Raina today and she did will. Had to end the hunt early, the temps were hitting 80 (supposed to get to 93 today!) and Raina was getting a bit overheated.

Jim and Raina on the horizon

I used my C. Hellis 16b

Jim used his 12ga V.S. 3EC

Raina and the days bag

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg: did your son ever find the 16 ga he was looking for?

Nothing the government gives you is free.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No not yet. He's still looking. One will show up in time.

Thanks!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I have forgotten the parameters that he was looking to meet, but there are several tempting 16g Darnes on Gunbroker.

_________

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well today was fun with a hammergun! My daughter is getting married tomorrow and this morning was the only chance I got to go out for a couple hours. The rest of the weekend is shot (no pun) for hunting.

Anyway, took my 6 month old GSP Addie out for her second hunt. Didn't do too bad, she's starting to understand what this hunting deal is.

Here she is out and about

I managed two today, both singles, I used my 16ga Carl Goluch

Good day overall!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg:

What a stunning piece of wood on that gun. Is it original or did you have it restocked?

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm betting on grain painting. It does not look to me like Mark Larson's work though...Geo

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I'm betting on grain painting. It does not look to me like Mark Larson's work though...Geo

Hey George, you hit the nail on the head. It's a Mark Larson creation. He's done a couple stocks for me, always excellent work.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out after work for about an hour to one of our local grouse spots. Saw a few today, two nice groups (a bit wild). Still, we managed to get a couple. I got two and Jim one.

I used my 16ga FN

Jim used his VS 12ga

Raina and the days bag

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

The FN is nice, but the Hellis is my favorite on this page.

Owen
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, went out a bit today solo, only managed one, but still great to get out on the prairies!

Today I used my 16ga Uggie 1030

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well today was a change of pace, went duck hunting. Not great, but not bad either. There was a lot of water on our old reliable slough, so we had to adjust a bit. Started out overcast and cool, then we got a bluebird day and they quit flying! My friend Rick, brought his Chessie out and boy did she do well. Sure is nice having a dog bring you the birds rather then getting them yourself.

Rick and Mazie

Jim in his "area"

Mazie with a nice retrieve

Jim picking up decoys

End of the day!

I did use my Merkel 147E today

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just returned last night from our Canadian adventure. 67galaxie and I visited our duck club in Saskatchewan and spent the week shooting ducks, geese mostly, a few sandhills and some game birds. For those interested, the game birds (huns and Sharptails) seem to have recovered very well from the severe winters a few years ago. I noticed big hun coveys and lots of chickens as well...Geo

67galaxie's geese and his A grade Fox:

Yours truly with a few snows(Rosses actually) and mallards:

67galaxie with our decoy wagon and the same snows:

The new retriever, he may be a bird eater. See how he's chewing on that goose foot:

The view of the bird feeder out the dining room window. :

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, I'd be concerned about his nose. Looks like more of a sight hound which would be useful in prairie ankle high stubble but not so great in S. Ga. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I's a good bird dog Gil. I's a good bird dog

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Geo, I'd be concerned about his nose. Looks like more of a sight hound which would be useful in prairie ankle high stubble but not so great in S. Ga. Gil

Trust me on this; he ain't built like any sight-hound I ever saw, but he's young and strong enough to swing the sledge hammer while putting up the blind, not to mention the retrieving...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went out last week bird hunting; had two real good days of hunting. I managed to get seven grouse, all singles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, those are wonderful birds. What part of the world were you hunting?

_________

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, went duck hunting today with my friend Rick from MN. Today was the last day he can hunt this state and we did well! We each limited and his Chessie Mazie did an outstanding job of retrieving. Just a great day with a good hunting buddy.

Rick with the "pile" we shot

Mazie with a couple of retrieves

Today I used my Bernadelli Italia hammergun

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice dog, gun, and dekes. What is the maker of the decoys?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
Tim, those are wonderful birds. What part of the world were you hunting?
Hi Brent,

British Columbia.
______

TC

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Nice dog, gun, and dekes. What is the maker of the decoys?

Thanks for the kind words! The Mallard blocks are Dakota X-Treme and the Gadwalls are Avery Pro-Grades

Good quality blocks, I'm happy with them!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last week

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

110% For the percussion gun and a beautiful one it is too.

Last edited by BrentD; 10/06/19 09:34 PM.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, I am in total admiration and awe of you hunting birds with this wonderful old muzzleloader. Thanks very much for posting the beautiful pictures.

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful, Dennis. Well done. Makes me want to unlimber my Manton this season on some doves. Think I will.

Thanks, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

First coyote of the season, Northern NV last week. Wilkes drilling 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer.

Small for this late but he came in just like an old timer.

Last edited by oskar; 10/07/19 11:05 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well that's a little different. Which barrel did you use?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RichardBrewster
Dennis, I am in total admiration and awe of you hunting birds with this wonderful old muzzleloader. Thanks very much for posting the beautiful pictures.
Hopefully this will inspire someone (maybe Stan) to pick up one of these old guns and hunt with it. I got a period capper and powder flask (Austrian) that I am using with this and have a period French shot flask on the way. Can't get much better than that I think.

Last edited by Dennis Daigger; 10/11/19 12:21 PM.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dennis, could you tell about the butt of that fine double? Is it an extension, or is it some type of covering? Maybe a close up pic or two? It looks very well done, from what I can see.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reading about waterfowl hunting I've always noted the supreme importance of setting your decoy spread on the magic X where the birds want to be. On a recent trip to Saskatchewan, I finally found it:

...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that is funny

Sidelock
Sidelock

After galaxie and I set up on that X every morning for a for a week, I have relegated the Magic X theory to the same round file as Gil Stacy's String Theory of Turkey Calling...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Dennis, could you tell about the butt of that fine double? Is it an extension, or is it some type of covering? Maybe a close up pic or two? It looks very well done, from what I can see.
SRH

Stan-I've seen photos of other Continental percussion doubles with buttplates like this but don't know if they are added extensions or original to the guns. Horn, I think. I've added some additional photos of other details of the gun.

Dennis
Sidelock
Sidelock

We are being hit with a huge cold front right now. Temps into the freezing, high winds, wind chills will be in the teens by dawn. I threw the canoe on the truck and the decoys in the back in preparation for a hugely successful hunt.

Just to be sure, I spray painted a green X on the side of the canoe so the ducks will know where to land.

smile

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, Dennis. That horn butt, and the relief carving is impressive, to say the least. Actually, the whole of the gun is impressive.

SRH

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

After galaxie and I set up on that X every morning for a for a week, I have relegated the Magic X theory to the same round file as Gil Stacy's String Theory of Turkey Calling...Geo

The string that turkeys come in on when called is incomplete unless tied directly to the key to success. Gil

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, a bit off topic, today is our Pheasant Opener here in ND. But as some of you know we got hit with a winter storm. Where I'm at we got 14" as of yesterday, plus it snowed again last night (and it's still snowing as I type this). We're supposed to get another 2 to 3" today. But with the snow and winds at 25 to 35mph, I don't think many are going out. The snow is also drifting, that ain't good either. IMO, this will effect the birds somewhat. The snow should be gone by next weekend (will see!). But then, the roads will be sloppy as all get out. It may be awhile until things get back to normal. As far as the harvest goes, it's going to be a while also. We got so much rain here the last couple months, the ground is so soft that the farmers/ranchers can't get into the fields. They more than likely will not get the corn in until it freezes, so your looking at a lot of standing crop until November I would say. In short, I'd like to add.......this SUCKS!!!!!!

Here's a couple pics I took today from my front door

Good Luck all!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, that's what I love about the South...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

But it surely deals with the mosquitoes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

and thank goodness for that

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been dry here since August and the skeeters are gone. I sat in my deer blind this evening till dark hoping for a look at the bear that's been hitting my deer feeding station and never saw or heard a skeeter; or a bear either for that matter. Deer season comes in next saturday...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did a little more messing around with my camera this morning. This is my DeHaan 28 gauge side by side that I picked up used 10 or 12 years ago. It is a sweet little shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been dry here since August and the skeeters are gone. I sat in my deer blind this evening till dark hoping for a look at the bear that's been hitting my deer feeding station and never saw or heard a skeeter; or a bear either for that matter. Deer season comes in next saturday...Geo

Come sit in my box stand if you miss the skeeters. I got gnawed on by a flock of them while the sun was going down

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
That's a great picture!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

The photographer captured while capturing the shot:

Sherburn county, MN. taken this afternoon. We had a nice little hunt.
The picture is my son and a roadside grouse who ran under the truck and back across the road after his picture was taken.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My oldest grandson's first deer. Our GA general firearms season opens tomorrow, but this week has been our black powder early season. Youth under 16 may use any legal deer weapon during this week, so the BP season doubles as youth week.

Emory bagged this nice doe this morning up at my middle GA farm with a NEF 308 single shot. He will be 9 sometime this month so, at 8 he's way ahead of me when I killed my first one...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 10/19/19 08:14 PM. Reason: added pix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done Emory!! :)-

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some have privately questioned the wisdom of letting an eight year old shoot a deer. Emory has accompanied his dad hunting since he was little and seen a lot of'em killed. His father was in the double seated ladder stand with him when he shot the doe pictured above. As evidenced by his expression in the picture, I don't think he was unduly traumatized by the experience.

Just like everything else, effect depends upon the individual affected by the first kill of a large game animal. In this case, I'm proud of the boy and consider his first deer a milestone in his personal development...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Geo.
I don't even know the boy and I'm proud of him too.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations to Emory. My son, Jonathan, killed his first at 8 or 9, can't remember exactly, with a Ruger No. 3, .45-70. His two sons killed their first at about the same age. When a kid is old enough to handle a gun safely, and shoot it accurately, and they want to hunt, they are ready, with proper supervision of course.

I was newly married when I killed my first buck, but there weren't any deer around here when I was a kid. I remember the first deer track I ever saw, in a dirt road on our place. I thought it was a goat track. blush

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great picture Geo, many more hunts with all your grandkids.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Woohoo great job Emory! Now for wood ducks and turkeys! Just lemme know when

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been a crazy year, and this weekend was my first outing. It went very well. I took my 6.4lb Lefever 12 on its first chukar hunt, and hunted with a friend whose english pointer was ridiculously good. My ten year old setter was along for the ride but had a great time:

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is incredible Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, what grade lefever is that? An early E, maybe? Nice treatment on the checkering...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, Good for you and the pooches. Glad you had a great day out!

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks guys. The gun is my special order ungraded gun with a one of a kind original serrated wood butt, no cocking indicators, ejectors, line engraving typical of a G grade, but no grade on the water table. It's basically a GE, and the plain side plates were kind of boring, so I rubbed out the old case color and painted my setter (same one in the photos) on the left side and pheasants on the right, along with a few branches and leaves, in sepia tones so it looks like engraving. Covered with a couple coats of spray finish and it is so far very durable. Working man's E grade! smile

Last edited by Mark Larson; 10/22/19 08:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Metal painting to represent faux engraving is a new on one me. Looks good...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow, Mark, I am impressed! I just assumed that the gun was engraved and had to go back and look at the photo again. Nice work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, That is one beautiful and unique SO Lefever. Fantastic job painting your dog on the lock plate! Really amazing!

Rich
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out yesterday for a few hours. Saw quite a few, but I didn't get any shots, but Jim was the hot gun.He managed two.Most of the birds were a bit spooky. High winds today (25 to 30+mph). Will try and get out Monday. Hope we can connect then.

Anyway, here's Jim and our faithful Raina

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by RARiddell; 10/27/19 08:26 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sherburn National Refuge, backed up on the St. Francis river, where the bridge was dynamited after the road was closed to Santiago:

Last trip we moved four birds, not a bird this time. The woods was active with bow hunters, and guys scouting for next weekends firearms deer opener. But, it was a beautiful day, with great company.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, beauty of a spot...Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Metal painting to represent faux engraving is a new on one me. Looks good...Geo

I was envious until I read that....

A Fauk gun

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Cool Lefever, just saw that. At
6.4 lbs and healthy damascus it is a serious find. If you haven't already discussed it here, what are the dimensions? That is a remarkable weight considering that it's an ejector gun.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/04/19 02:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pair of wild Idaho Roosters taken with vintage 20 gauge hammergun featuring Lafaucheux system underlever.

[img:left]https://imgur.com/xBywpGg[/img]

Last edited by 12boreman; 11/11/19 10:07 PM.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a nice hunt in SD this year. We saw a lot of birds, but they flushed wild for the first 3 days and we had no results. Many areas were wet and access was limited. The crops were mostly standing due to spring rains and delayed planting/harvesting. The farm we hunted was 100% harvested by Wednesday and on Thursday/Friday our shelter belt hunts were finally productive. This photo was from Friday, which was our best day, with 11 birds taken, one shy of a limit.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen, tell me about your Boss.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike is is from 1926, 28, 6lbs 12oz, Mod/XF, file cut rib. Just a joy to carry in the field. The birds were shot with 12ga RST 1 1/16 #4s, 2 1/2. I really became a fan on #4s on this trip, having switched from the #5s utilized each of the past two seasons.

Owen
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well Friday at noon was our deer gun opener. We hunt on a friends farm for the past 8 years or so. Weather wise it was a very nice day, lower winds and temps in the upper 30's with sun and some clouds. We saw quite a few deer, but opportunities for some good shots were limited. I did manage to bag a smaller one (they always look like a majestic Elk in the scope) at 3:30. While the deer was small, I was happy with the shot I made. It was a running shot at about 100+ yards. So I was happy with that. My son Jim didn't fair well, had a couple shots, but didn't connect.

Saturday was a different story, light rain all day long. Got wet and Jim couldn't buy a shot. I could have shot a least a couple more. They were getting up by me on my side of the tree rows. So.....we'll try and fill Jim's tag next weekend. Fingers crossed for him.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the weekend.

Me and mine. I was using a 7mm-08 Remington Mountain Rifle with a 2x5 Redfield Wide View Scope

Myself and Jim

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,
Nice looking picture, thanks for sharing.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

How do you get pictures to actually load and be seen? I can only post the link and no pictures are on my post.
thanks for your help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 12boreman
Pair of wild Idaho Roosters taken with vintage 20 gauge hammergun featuring Lafaucheux system underlever.

[img:left]https://imgur.com/xBywpGg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=12boreman]Pair of wild Idaho Roosters taken with vintage 20 gauge hammergun featuring Lafaucheux system underlever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last photo with the protruding lever is great! The gold inlay is very Germanic.

Owen
Sidelock
Sidelock

Posted for Bill Ferguson

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/14/19 04:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Hey all, well Friday at noon was our deer gun opener. We hunt on a friends farm for the past 8 years or so. Weather wise it was a very nice day, lower winds and temps in the upper 30's with sun and some clouds. We saw quite a few deer, but opportunities for some good shots were limited. I did manage to bag a smaller one (they always look like a majestic Elk in the scope) at 3:30. While the deer was small, I was happy with the shot I made. It was a running shot at about 100+ yards. So I was happy with that. My son Jim didn't fair well, had a couple shots, but didn't connect.

Saturday was a different story, light rain all day long. Got wet and Jim couldn't buy a shot. I could have shot a least a couple more. They were getting up by me on my side of the tree rows. So.....we'll try and fill Jim's tag next weekend. Fingers crossed for him.

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the weekend.

Me and mine. I was using a 7mm-08 Remington Mountain Rifle with a 2x5 Redfield Wide View Scope

Myself and Jim

Best,

Greg

Really?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,that should be a good eating doe. Congratulations. I always enjoy the pictures of you hunting with your boys...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My son and I hunted three weekends starting Oct 26. I got the smaller bull on opening day which coincided with my 79th birthday. David got his the following week. The deer was last weekend. All were taken within 1/2 mile of one another and illustrate why folks in the West are defensive of public lands.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 11/14/19 10:58 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am awed considering the effort that must be required to field butcher an elk that size and pack it out, even if to a processor. That is a lot of meat and bone to tote out. Hope your trucks are always downhill from the kill site!

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, There were two younger guys to help with field dressing and two horses to tote the meat to the truck. No animal was much further from the truck than a mile. Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats Bill, looks like your 'little' one has an extra point on the right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Global Warming will do that to you.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Each of the three days was followed by a blizzard that drove us out of the country sooner than we'd planned.

Global Warming will do that to you.

+1. keith is exactly right about that.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I am awed considering the effort that must be required to field butcher an elk that size and pack it out, even if to a processor. That is a lot of meat and bone to tote out. Hope your trucks are always downhill from the kill site!

SRH

Even a cow is miserable when you're alone. Shot this one around 4 pm so no time to compose a nice picture before getting to work. Had it quartered and bagged by dark. Final load in the truck by 11:00 pm. For reference, a hind quarter weights about as much as a bag of concrete. The front quarters are probably more like 45 lbs. but, once you get the backstraps and neck and whatever you can get your toting roughly 4 bags of quikrete out of the woods. Bill had more like 5 or 6 bags of quikrete to tote. It's been almost a month and my back still hurts. I'm very acclimatized to elevation and it's still hard work at 9500'. I don't know how the out of state people do it.

Last edited by RyanF; 11/15/19 01:03 PM.
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, well we had my sons Jim's tag to fill (I filled mine on Opening Day), so we went to our friends farm again and Jim was able to fill his tag 25 minutes after shooting hours began. We saw a doe standing by a cattail slough and he nailed her with his Browning A-Bolt in .25 WSSM. She was a decent doe and with that, thus ended our 2019 Deer season.

Here's Jim with his doe

It was a good season and a safe one!

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I killed a huge 5x5 whitetail as it came south out of my woodlot (gratis permit)on the 11th. Next day, same time 20 min. after suniet, same wind direction, my friend shot a 4x5 from the same spot. He was heading north into my woodlot accompanied by four does. No other hunters around in both cases. Just tough to predict the movements of these animals.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yesterday was the first day Floyd and I ran our dogs. My MutttPak, Abby and Willa, are in the photo. The other two Britt's, Floyd's Sadie and Pop wouldn't take part in the photo. We hunted edges of a 150 acre clear cut for an hour and a half while temps were cool and found a covey of a dozen or more birds. We left it alone after two birds. While hunting the clear cut edge, Floyd got an alert on his tracking that Sadie was 150 yards into a bottom on point. We went in. Our three dogs were strung out in a line backing Sadie for 50 yards. It was great to see the first day out with them. A woodcock flushed. WC season is 17 days away and we are loaded with birds already because of the northern weather. About noon after we finished at 11, we were looking for more wc habitat and saw this vicious looking, but harmless hognose snake in melanistic phase. Beautiful snake but seeing it reaffirmed our choice of ending when we did because we were in serious EDB rattler country. Whose nose? Only the nose knows. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great job Gil! I can't wait to have time to get after some quail

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good report, Gil. Ever heard of a hognose being called a "spreading adder"? That's the only name I knew for them until I got to reading snake books as a young man.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool snake! Good looking, and really nicely matched dogs too.

_________

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In my part of Alabama, we called the Hog Nosed Snake "Puff Adder" ( maybe "Puffing"). As a young man, I sometimes kept snakes as pets. The "Puff Adder" was a very interesting snake that employed unusual defensive techniques. Being harmless, it had to depend on subterfuge for it's defense. When threatened, it will "puff" up like the photo. A normally marked one( as opposed to the black one in the photo) has spots that look like eyes when puffed up, to mimic a larger snake. It is often said they look like a cobra, but it is unlikely that any threat would be familiar with cobras. If that doesn't work, they will roll over and play dead. If you roll them back to their stomach, they will immediately roll back over. If you persist in rolling them back to their stomach, they will defecate. The smell is so intense that I never tried to find out what they would do next.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Yesterday was the first day Floyd and I ran our dogs. My MutttPak, Abby and Willa, are in the photo. The other two Britt's, Floyd's Sadie and Pop wouldn't take part in the photo. We hunted edges of a 150 acre clear cut for an hour and a half while temps were cool and found a covey of a dozen or more birds. We left it alone after two birds. While hunting the clear cut edge, Floyd got an alert on his tracking that Sadie was 150 yards into a bottom on point. We went in. Our three dogs were strung out in a line backing Sadie for 50 yards. It was great to see the first day out with them. A woodcock flushed. WC season is 17 days away and we are loaded with birds already because of the northern weather. About noon after we finished at 11, we were looking for more wc habitat and saw this vicious looking, but harmless hognose snake in melanistic phase. Beautiful snake but seeing it reaffirmed our choice of ending when we did because we were in serious EDB rattler country. Whose nose? Only the nose knows. Gil

Looks great Gil! Sorry to be way behind checking and responding. I have been quail hunting once with a friend (no photos unfortunately). We have some quail ordered for Thanksgiving so should get Sherwood back on them

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep Stan, all my life they have been spreading adder.

Sounds like a great morning Gill. I didn't get to go as we are trying to finish up gathering soybeans and planting wheat.

Hopefully will get the dogs out by Thanksgiving weekend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Willieb
Sounds like a great morning Gill. I didn't get to go as we are trying to finish up gathering soybeans and planting wheat.

I'm no farmer. I do have a small farm up in middle GA though which many years ago had as good a quail population as anywhere I've ever hunted.

I've hunted that land all my life and my Grandfather kept it mostly in pasture for his cattle. When he passed my Grandmother leased the land out to the local county agent and his twin brother for row cropping.

The twin farmers planted soybeans and corn. After harvest, the land was left in stubble for the winter. Plenty of unharvested soybeans on the ground to feed the birds. The deer herd and the bobwhite population prospered. That decade was when the place was the best bird hunting I've ever experienced.

One year the farmers decided to double-crop the fields and after harvest the fields were turned under and wheat planted. That made plenty of deer feed I guess, but the quail disappeared. This was back in the '70s so before the general collapse of our southern bobwhite.

The reason for quoting WillieB's reference to gathering soybeans and planting wheat was it triggered my memory of the great period of bird hunting in my life. And the wheat crop which I blamed for the loss. I may or may not have been right about the ill effect of double cropping, but in my mind it was a clear case of cause and effect...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I leave my stubble and crop residue all winter, Gil. Many of my neighbors harrow the fields clean immediately after harvest. I see no sense in that, and believe that leaving it matters to birds. My hunting landlords like me leaving it, too.

I do not, however, fault a farmer who needs to double crop by planting wheat immediately after fall harvest. But, it doesn't work well with my crop rotation, anyway.

Willieb, glad to know someone else in the world knows what a spreading adder is, besides me. (For a long while I actually thought the grown-ups were saying "spreadin' outer") laugh

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, I think you have identified one of the problems for survival of the southern bobwhite. Lack of cover in general leaves them exposed to predators. Our soybeans are planted in the wheat crop stubble and soybeans stubble is left. Not that it provides much cover, but it does provide limited feeding.
Wheat is planted behind peanuts and grain sorghum.

Trying to make a living off the land and managing for quail is a difficult task. I try to balance the two as well as I can. Non productive areas are left for the birds, woods are burned on a three year rotation, nest predators are controlled where feasible and feed is spread on a two week rotation year round. While I will never have the numbers that the plantations in the area have, I have seen the population of wild birds increase over the last 10 years.

I know your post wasn't meant to be critical, I just wanted to provide some options that we can do to help gentleman bob.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Something is magical regarding quail numbers in the red hills of SW Georgia. It largely arises from the wealthy, usually Yankees, who spend millions collectively in managing hundreds of thousands of contiquous acres for the pursuit of a handful of feathers. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

kudos to stan an willieb...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

["I know your post wasn't meant to be critical, I just wanted to provide some options that we can do to help gentleman bob."] Willieb

No critical intention whatever, and I applaud you and Stan both for your wildlife friendly farming practices. I doubt there is a single cause for the collapse of our bird population down here. Year round cover though must be an important component of the problem.

On the other hand, plowing under at harvest sets up three months of perfect habitat for the arrowhead hunter. I love it when I walk a field in the Spring and find an artifact hoisted up on it's own little dirt pedestal by a Winter of rain and wind. One man's meat is another man's poison...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow all work and no play makes me a dull boy that forgot duck season opened this morning

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for a few hours today and hunted a friends ranch. Did see some birds, but this year is kind of turning out like last season (which was poor!). We didn't see as many as we have in years past, but I did manage to get a couple, so I was happy. I was really happy with the performance of my 8 month old GSP Addie. She's getting the hang of this hunting thing. Working all the right cover and doing what she's supposed to do. She made to nice retrieves to hand, but still needs some work on her steady to point. She is doing better each time we go out.

Anyway, here's Addie and the days bag. I was using my 12b Henry Atkin

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Today's work. 2 shots, 2 birds. Doesn't always go like that.

Everyone needs a drink. This has always been a useful trick to teach my dogs.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pictures!!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, nice photos. The dog's vintage-styled bells are hard to find...Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS. I am not a huge fan of those, but they are the best I have found. From Orvis or LLBean some years ago.

Did not realize those pics would be so large.

BEST PART WAS NO SKUNKS!

_________

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stuck on the High Plains for a bit longer, such is life. I will survive though. It has been a good start so far. The young man behind me has just guided his first client solo. His brother has been my guide for years. The buck was shot from the cedar on the bluff above me. A spot I had been looking at on the map for years and my first hike in paid off nicely.

Bird dogs did a fine job as well.

The Holland served me well.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, if that's your hunting truck, you need to up your gunsmithing fees. Nice, very nice buck by the way...Geo

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Super windy this morning but we managed two roosters with two shots. Another doubled back on us and flushed behind us and out of range. Took pics but somehow they did not get saved. Not bad for an hour and fifteen minutes.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

It's definitely better than what I'm finding in Kansas.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo- I would love to have that truck and fix it up. I need another project right?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The man who lets me hunt his place has an incredible collection of trucks and tractors. I already have a project truck from up here, a '37 Chevy. Only need to hit the lotto now to finish it.

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Tucker and I put a couple in the bag today.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,
Great picture showing the old field equipment in the frame!
Karl

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks Karl, glad to see someone appreciates it. The dogs are less than impressed with photo time.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great photos. It looks as though your dinner is assured.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really great photos and birds! I would love to see some pics of the 37 truck

Sidelock
Sidelock

We got our Brittany Sherwood on some released quail yesterday. He did really well, considering it was his second hunt ever.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, took a couple hours off from work to hunt before the big storm we're supposed to get this weekend. Went out with my son Jim and our 8 month old GSP Addie. One area I wanted to hunt we got shut out of as they were bailing corn silage. So, we hit a couple other areas. I shot one, but he was wing shot and took off running! Addie couldn't find him, so a lost bird (I hate that, wished I would have missed!). Last place we went, I knocked one dead over some standing corn. Addie was in pursuit and retrieved the bird to hand. She really worked well today,very happy with her!

Here's Addie

I used my 12ga Hubertus today

Will see how we do tomorrow!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Floyd and I took our 4 Britts out yesterday to exercise and hopefully find a new covey and woodcock locations for this weekend's opener. No quail, but the dogs pointed numerous dove on the ground in timber. Surprisingly, on a grassy clear cut dotted with standing water in low places, the dogs pointed snipe (which held), a first for the MuttPak and Floyd's two. With gusty winds, it was some sporty shooting. Here's the serendipitous snipe with Floyd's Ithaca SKB 100 20 ga. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few 2019 birds with my three 16's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like that was fun shooting, Gil. It certainly was a windy day!

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, what is the middle gun?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's an AyA #2. 16 ga. with 30" barrels, IC/F. I'd like to get the stock bent up just a tad.

Last edited by Dave Erickson; 12/03/19 11:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have yet to hunt! Great job Gil!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saturday was opening day in Georgia. Went north of home. Found 4 birds, one in the same 10x10 squareyards where one has been for the past 4 seasons. Flushed wild, never found again. Must've heard about Floyd. Next 3 were in the usual suspect places. Floyd, Abby and Willa, aka my MuttPak.
Today, Sunday, Floyd, Jeff and I. Floyd's Sadie and Pop. We went south today. Found 7. Recovered three. We are off to a decent start for early season. Should pick up as weather turns cooler. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a great day nor a great photo, but we didn't get skunked.

Gus also had a rock solid point on a turkey. Yesterday, he got fed up with my poor shooting and handed me a rooster at the ned of the day, so we got one, but it wasn't shot (at least not by me).

_________

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Above upgraded Fox Sterlingworth to an early AE 20 gauge.

The Princess, aka Sophie who turned 5 this week.

foxes rule
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

tut, nice photos and beautiful dog. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tut,
Beautiful gun & dog. Your great pictures are making me miss my woodcock season, now long over.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree, that is one very nice setter. Gun is ok as well.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some beautiful guns in this thread. There's nothing special about this Belgian guild gun but I hadn't seen any of these birds posted and thought I'd add a little variety.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Skip! Longtime no see. Nice job as usual.
Today was a good day making up for a lot of misses yesterday. Beautiful day for an armed walk in the woods with cool temps and lots of birds. Floyd holding Abby and Willa in check, my MuttPak.
The snow and cold up north have driven them south early. "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow." Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pics, Skip and Gil.

Well done, both of you.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Stan.

Gil, my photo is from last Saturday. I usually have more than my share of misses but for once I looked like I had done it before. I shot at eight birds and killed all of them. I wish I could say I did it with eight shells but I missed two with the first barrel and one was a cripple that I had to flush a second time to put it down for good. I Wish I knew where to find a few of those Woodcock. It's been years since I've shot one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skip and Gil, it is nice to see the results of some upland shooting in our neck of the woods that does not involve released bobwhites. If I could still walk proficiently, I'd be out there with you...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you sir. Most days after walking I feel like I'm about at the point where I can see the finish line. Recovery takes much longer than when I was a young man.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know how old Snipe Hunter is but I know exactly how old GLS is. That is what aggravates me the most. On the other hand, I still have the will to do what I can...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

is dar ah snipe res sipe in dis sum wares...or are you boys jes killim fur fun?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
is dar ah snipe res sipe in dis sum wares...or are you boys jes killim fur fun?

They're eating birds Ed, some of the best...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

. On the other hand, I still have the will to do what I can...Geo

George, a late family friend served in the Pacific post war. He had contact with MacArthur's staff and obtained a copy of a quote (not by MacArthur) that was displayed in the General's office. It was about enthusiasm and the gist of it was that enthusiasm is not just in the realm of the young, but that it was ageless. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw a special on tv the other day about a 105 year old man who is still climbing in and out of elevated deer stands and hunting. Quite inspiring.

"Enthusiasm is the leaping lightning, not to be measured by the horse-power of the understanding." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another good hunt this morning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice pic! What is the terrain in the foreground ? Looks like it has been swiped.Is it crop or just scrub??
Thankyou.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a cow pasture. The area I hunt is behind where I was standing when I took the photo. Here is one showing some of the habitat. Where I took that first photo is on the other side of the water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah thanks,so rough grazing land!Good snipe country.You have some great landscapes to hunt in over there!

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice spot! Grazing and fire are the keys to healthy grasslands worldwide. Idle conditions have ruined most of my good snipe and rail spots around here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a stretch of north FL from I-75 to past Tallahassee where the pastures are full of those shallow wet depressions. We have a bit of it just west of where I live in south GA. Great for snipe and ringneck ducks at times. Skip's picture depicts it perfectly...Geo

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.