April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gunman #553222 08/22/19 01:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

its called suspension of disbelief gentlemen.

youre suppose to be focused on the plot, not the details.

its this.......$$$

so, directors trim in areas that are not required to make the plot move forward.

now, if all of you that are annoyed by these imperfect details were to take a trip, im sure Hollywood or whatever film studio is filming, would gladly accept your free advice and have you supply them the correct guns.

money an issue? no wages?
are you starting to see why they don't really care about the details?
its not just guns either. odds are, while youre watching for gun mistakes, a zillion other things are getting by you unaware.
cars, appliances, phones, saddles, clothing, you name it. directors would be over budget in a snap if they had to use everything perfectly correct.

the biggest error in filming is language and terms. most script writers don't study the talk of the era, and use modern buzz words and jargon. now that's a burr in my saddle, when a 1800's cowboy yells out in a bar scene...'you go girl!'

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
gunman #553223 08/22/19 02:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

But going back to the title (books) . . . it's not that hard to do a little research and get the gun stuff right. If authors are going to be specific about what their hero is packing, then they ought to make that much effort.

gunman #553225 08/22/19 02:41 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The publisher's editors are supposed to cure technical flaws. A friend of mine who fishes with a known author receives final drafts and brings up such matters and was told by the author that his publisher's editors are paid to make corrections. Despite that, I've seen errors fall between the stools. Gil

gunman #553235 08/22/19 05:37 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
he biggest error in filming is language and terms. most script writers don't study the talk of the era, and use modern buzz words and jargon

On that note Bob....I've always wondered if the flowery (and profane) vernacular they used in the HBO series "Deadwood" was accurate....I have my doubts.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
gunman #553236 08/22/19 05:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why should we be either shocked or surprised when book authors make glaring errors concerning the guns they write about?

Just look at all of the misinformation and intentional falsehoods about guns that comes from our Liberal Left Fake News media organizations and from Democrat Congressmen. Equipping Festus on Gunsmoke with a Model 94 instead of an 1873 isn't near as bad as claiming that semi-autos are machine guns. One is entertainment, and the other involves deceptively attempting to take away our Constitutional Rights.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

gunman #553260 08/22/19 09:04 PM
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't remember the titles, but I have seen two movies in the last year in which someone closed a double accompanied by the sound of a slide racking.

GLS #553266 08/23/19 06:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
The publisher's editors are supposed to cure technical flaws. A friend of mine who fishes with a known author receives final drafts and brings up such matters and was told by the author that his publisher's editors are paid to make corrections. Despite that, I've seen errors fall between the stools. Gil

You're talking copy editors. And the assumption is that they know the nuts and bolts of what it is they're editing. When Iowa State University Press published the first edition of my pheasant hunting book, they didn't have anyone on staff capable of catching any technical errors I made. But then I was careful not to make any. Second edition, published by the same outfit that does Shooting Sportsman, I had an editor who knew the subject well. And it wasn't as much a case of catching technical errors as it was helping me make it a better book, simply because he understood the subject matter.

Slightly different version of the same issue: Back when I was teaching high school French, one of my students was the daughter of an evangelical preacher who'd written a pamphlet that he'd had translated into French. She asked me if I'd take a look. Turned out that whoever did the translation was obviously fluent in French, but not in American English idioms--several of which had been translated literally. Gave me a good laugh, and I helped with a few corrections.

Last edited by L. Brown; 08/23/19 06:57 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.