March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

my vote is to leave it alone and preserve it as found...

stan and others, what say you?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

argo, knowing that you like french guns, thought you would like this link:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818363082

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting: Looks like Berthon Bourlier Frères in Saint Etienne - Arquebusier existed from 1753 to 1831. The company is also identified as Berthon Bourlier Et Fils Aine, St. Etienne, France. (Fils Aine = oldest son). Can't find much more. The rib says "C Gordu Berthon Bourlier".....Claude Berthon Bourlier died in 1831 as mentioned above. That might be the "C." The gun is clearly much older that 1861....1820's?

Can't identify the Brussels Arquebusier H. Manglot. Why it's got two gun makers' names on it is a mystery. Perhaps Manglot marketed the gun?

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On the Reilly 5512, looking at it further I'll definitely need a professional familiar with muzzle loaders to look at the barrels and nipples. Recommendation? The stock is not too bad....I'll try Steve's Linseed oil and see what happens.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I got a small flashlight, the size of 1/2 a AAA battery, stuck some opaque plastic over the lens and slid it down the bore facing toward the muzzle..
Gives not a bad initial look.
As others have said the cheap borescope type things you can send down the bore work well too.
Make sure you get one with an angled mirror attachment to get a good look sideways as it goes down.
Be warned, looking through these makes things look far worse than they probably would to the naked eye.

Mines certainly got some pitting here and there, but the breech area was pretty good. Bear in mind you have one pit each side that goes clean through the barrel :-)
I shoot mine with conservative loads of Swiss 2F without issue, but that's a call you have to make.
There's some good info on original muzzle-loaders here:
http://www.cablesfarm.co.uk/a-beginners-...ders/#more-1630

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

The resident gunsmith, Willie Boitnott, during the NMLRA National Matches during the '80s at friendship, IN, used tiny round mirrors, which were highly polished pieces of polished steel, as I recall. He would drop one the right size down the bore until it rested on the breech, then shine a light down the bore and view it. I got him to check the bores on a 16 bore Powell for me, in about 1985, before buying it.

The above method of dropping a tiny flashlight down against the breech will not allow you to view the very bottom of the chamber area, which in many cases is the most deteriorated area of a muzzleloader bore. The length of the flashlight area of the breech cannot be seen.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

or...remove nipples and attach a fiber optics adapter to a flashlight...

https://www.amazon.com/Beamguide-Fiber-A...8CTR49F062KFQH7

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've examined the bores as best I can without a bore light and they don't look bad at all. But here are some condition problems I'll be facing:

Pitting on the outside underside of the left barrel:

Rust deposit on the left forearm area...and is that replacement wood there? I thought this bit of rust corresponded with the pitting above but it's a good inch more towards the chamber.

Dent in front left barrel...this looks new - wonder if it was done in shipping?

Chip on right side of fore arm:

Possible small crack on left side of forearm?

Checkering is pretty worn...this from the stock grip:

A small area of corrosion on the outside breech area of the top left barrel:

Last edited by Argo44; 07/29/19 11:56 AM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nipples are solid, not blocked but look like they have not been taken out in years..I can just imagine stripping one of them. I remember breaking off a screw extractor trying to get the points off a 1967 Triump TT Special - that wasn't fun.

And I don't understand the wood screw on the tip of the ramrod.

I'm going to have to have a barrel guy look at this if I'm going to shoot it. Recommendations welcome.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/29/19 11:45 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The screw will let you disassemble a load that has not been fired.

If you use linseed oil for perking up the wood, make sure it is RAW linseed oil, not boiled linseed oil.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.