Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, what IS a grip safety? I can't say I have ever seen a safety other than a sliding "stalking" safety that was, I think more for reloading than anything else.

And, of course, the half cock or rebounding hammer safeties, but no grip safety.

2-piper, I have yet to see a delicate or easily broken half cock safe. Most that I have inspected are fairly robust like those shown on the Butler locks above. They do wear however, and some of cheap guns have had half-cock issues, but breakage of the type that results from falls, etc., I hear about on the net but have never seen.

I don't see anything in the above photos that I can identify has a grip safety. Do you have some photos, or what am I missing?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

I don't see anything in the above photos that I can identify has a grip safety. Do you have some photos, or what am I missing?

Originally Posted By: Steve Nash

Sidelock
Sidelock

Okay, I see it there. Never seen such a thing on my hammer doubles, albeit most were not back action guns.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful guns! THANKS! pheasant fisher

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Okay, I see it there. Never seen such a thing on my hammer doubles, albeit most were not back action guns.

I think the grip safety, or guard safety/safety guard, was more common on muzzle-loaders. On pinfires I've only seen them on very early examples, or as a carry-over from a muzzle-loader conversion. Here is another example, from a conversion, but sadly not a back-lock gun...

How these work is illustrated in The Shot-Gun and Sporting Rifle by Stonehenge, 1858. The author points out that leaving a space between the safety and the gun allows for a twig to get in between. The final sentence in its entirety reads "To remedy this inconvenience it is only necessary to make the part which appears outside the stock of solid metal, and let it into a socket cut into the wood." Such a design is the one pictured here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, Thanks for posting that interesting information.

Rich

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those are pretty interesting safeties, but I've still never heard or seen one on a muzzleloader. In someways they seem rather redundant, but interesting nonetheless. Perhaps more common on shotguns than rifles?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are fairly common on muzzle loaders. Purdey ,among others, used them. The advantage is the gun could be fully cocked but instantly ready for a rising bird.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I see the advantage with it on bird guns but still doesn't change that they are uncommon enough that I have never encountered one. Did American makers use them too?

If using a half cock is dangerous due to fragility, a gun at full cock, relying on a grip safety like the one shown above is many times more so.

I'll have to look around for these.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RichardBrewster
Steve, Thanks for posting that interesting information.

Rich

Youre very welcome, Im happy to share. But apologies to the OP, I wasnt trying to hijack his thread on collecting hammer guns with a discussion on safeties!

Perhaps its a good example of why more attention on collecting hammer guns is important, while they are still out there to be found. There is a lot to 19th Century gunmaking still left to ponder about.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.