May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, SKB, 4 invisible), 287 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,503
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My 16 bore muzzle-loader J.C. Reilly SN 5512 arrived today. It's 1847 with both the 316 High Holborn and 502 New Oxford Street addresses on the rib as pointed out in the Reilly line.

The barrel exteriors are not nearly so pitted as the photos make it appear. The action is very crisp, the hammers snap like mouse-traps. This is going to be my only "project gun" so I'll be asking some questions.

-- I want to recondition the stock. The wood looks really interesting. The checkering is almost worn off. I'll redo the finish following the internet but how do you redo the checkering?
-- For starters, how do I check out the bores of a muzzleloader? I've beamed a military rifle light down them....they look decent. But how to know? How do you clean a muzzle loader to start with? I want to shoot this gun but 170 year old barrels need examination. Who do you recommend?
-- And....can I rebrown these barrels myself or do they need to be sent out and checked out? To whom?

Last edited by Argo44; 07/27/19 11:46 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I can point you to the correct chap to re-cut your flat top checkering. You may be surprised what a cleaning will do for it. Raw linseed oil can do wonders. Beyond a bore light or scope the breech plugs need to be removed to get a good view of the bore condition. Blackpowder is water soluble so the best way to clean the bores ends up being a good scrubbing with soap and water followed by oiling the bores. I would not attempt to re-brown your barrels yourself without lots of practice on scrap tubes. It takes a fair bit of trail and error to get the browning process down correctly. Drop me a note for more info on both the stock refresh and the barrel browning. I just cleaned up a nearly black stock full of oxidized oil and dirt with pretty much zero abrasive paper. The gun now has a nice old rich glow to it and wood looks great. Most likely the best route for your gun as trying to make it look new would look "off". Best regards,
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
My 16 bore muzzle-loader J.C. Reilly SN 5512 arrived today. It's 1847 with both the 316 High Holborn and 502 New Oxford Street addresses on the rib as pointed out in the Reilly line.

I want to recondition the stock. The wood looks really interesting. The checkering is almost worn off. I'll redo the finish following the internet but how do you redo the checkering?
-- For starters, how do I check out the bores of a muzzleloader? I've beamed a military rifle light down them....they look decent. But how to know? How do you clean a muzzle loader to start with? I want to shoot this gun but 170 year old barrels need examination. Who do you recommend?
-- And....can I rebrown these barrels myself or do they need to be sent out and checked out? To whom?

Nice looking gun....

Its quite sad that after 170 years it has crossed paths with a shade tree gunsmurfer.

I bet ol'Reilly is rolling over in his grave about now.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored]
Originally Posted By: Argo44

I want to recondition the stock. The wood looks really interesting. The checkering is almost worn off. I'll redo the finish following the internet but how do you redo the checkering?

Nice looking gun....

Its quite sad that after 170 years it has crossed paths with a shade tree gunsmurfer.

I bet ol'Reilly is rolling over in his grave about now.

the only smurf posting on this thread is you Smurfette.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

A made in China borescope costs peanuts these days. Plugs into your cell phone.
Like magic for examining a muzzle loader bore.
Can be ordered from eBay or Amazon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stevie pie pOooo

My reply was not to you nor did it have anything to do with you.

But since you chimed in...

He could send it you a gun farmer like you.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]He could send it you to farm out...

You have nothing to contribute to this board as usual frAnk.....just another no nothing blow hard is what you are.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Says the gun farming smurf...

Originally Posted By: SKB
I can point you to the correct chap

Rumor is the more work you do for members of this forum the less your credibility as a gunsmith becomes.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: [censored
]Says the gun farming smurf...

You are the only Smurf here Smurfette.....

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You trashed another thread Stevie...

You're like a little punk kid Stevie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.