March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My eyes are not what they were, and this 1909 Lancaster sxs rifle has the classic thin platinum line on the rear sight and a space where a platinum bead had resided in the front. I want to be able to shoot this gun accurately, and I have struggled. Any suggestions based on experience for incorporating modern sights, like fiber optic material, into these classic sights without damaging them or altering them in a way that diminishes their originality are most welcome
Thank you, guys

Last edited by pamtnman; 07/22/19 12:30 PM.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A base plate can be made and fit to the original dovetail slot. The plate can then be machined to accept modern scope rings and whatever type of sight you like utilized, fiber optic, low power scope etc. The original sight is then retained for future re-installation and no modifications are done to the rifle itself.

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is correct. Thanks, Steve. The rear sight has the usual flip up leaves for different yardages, and a pretty wide base. But it will be easy to cut and fit a replacement. The front will be a challenge. It is one of those small, thin, carefully filed beads on an angled ramp, dovetailed lengthwise into another rectangular ramp, that itself is then dovetailed into a larger oval ramp fitted between the two barrels and probably brazed on...gracious, the craftsmanship that went into the British rifles....probably more in this one front sight than in an entire modern rifle.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why change anything on the front iron sight? Just leave it as is.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Why change anything on the front iron sight? Just leave it as is.

Because the platinum bead is gone and the various substitutes for it in its tiny cavity - white paint, pink nail polish - are just not visible enough.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You will not be using the front sight with a fiber optic sight. To repair your existing front bead speak to an engraver. I need to have some platinum inlaid on an upcoming project and my engraver is going to do a similar project for me on a Rigby sight.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The platinum beads on some other rifles around here ain't cuttin' either. But this gun is missing its platinum bead and so I have been experimenting with various colors of nail polish. Red used to work for me in my youth, but I guess in my dotage my tastes and appreciation for appearances have changed. My wife doesn't care; she probably gave up

NRA Life
FOAC Life
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK we were speaking different type of Fiber optic sights. You want Iron sights you can see not a FO tube type of sight. I did not understand that from your posts as most guys in this situation are switching to tube sights. Then what you need is a custom front sight set up to take fiber optic inserts. I played with these a few years back on a modern muzzleloader. Going to cost a few bucks but it will work fine. Not very durable though. I kept breaking them. Just carry extra and a lighter in your pack.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/...ent=080-000-729

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A few years ago I struggled with this same challenge with a modern Winchester 1894, and my son's Ruger M77 .357 bolt rifle. Terrible sights need help. Some can be helped, some need to be replaced. Thanks for your help, Steve.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By the way, your updated website looks great, Steve

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.