April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ted Schefelbein, Joe Wood, Hugh Lomas, AGS, buckstix, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#54859 09/02/07 09:04 PM
Anton Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen: I have found a Kawaguchiya SxS that I am interested in. It is an Anson & Deeley boxlock in 12 gauge, field grade with minimal engraving. It has seen little use. The frame is case hardened and retains 90% of its colours. Straight grip, splinter fore end and double triggers with (approximately) 28 inch barrels. The walnut has a pleasing grain which curves down toward the toe. The stock is equipped with a ventilated rubber butt pad which looks original, but I am not sure. The gun looks like a carbon copy of a Birmingham boxlock. "Kawaguchiya Firearms Company" is engraved on the rib, with little else to identify it.

Fjestad, the Blue Book and the internet have info regarding the Kawaguchiya U/O's and auto's but nothing on the SxS's.

Does anyone know anything about these guns? When were they produced? Any ideas as to value? Anything else I should know?

Thank you in advance for any info or opinions you have to offer.

Anton

Sidelock
Sidelock

It sounds like Sakaba-made 'Royal' which was a copy of Webley & Scott 700 a wonderful Jap gun in 6.5lb weight range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 110, of Carder's book "SxSsof the World for Y2K shows "Kawacuachiya"(not correct spelling of any Japanese name). Japanese copies of the English Cogswell shotguns.
I think the Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. has gone fulltime into the fried chicken franchise business. Seriously, it's probably an OK SxS. If it looks well made ans feels good in your hands and the price is reasonable, buy it.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it look anything like this Miroku? These were sold under their own name and by Charles Daly, Western Field, and in the mid 60's, Kawaguchiya. both this one or the SKB mentioned by Jagermeister are, IMO, good solid guns. These off brand Mirokus may be one the last 'deals' out there. I'd like a 30" 12 ga Western Field.

Last edited by Yeti; 09/03/07 09:20 AM.
Anton Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, gents. I had no idea that the Japanese manufacturers shared models between brand names. I understand that a Miroku might be a Charles Daly, but not that an SKB might be a Kawaguchiya. Deep fried or not, the description of a Webley & Scott or Cogswell clone is closer to this KFC gun than the Miroku pictured (or any Browning BSS I have seen). As for the mid sixties time frame, that is quite possible although I would have guessed late fifties. I will post pictures of the gun as soon as I can lay my hands on it (private sale, elderly owner, it might take a couple of days). Thanks again.

Anton

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think an SKB could be a Kawaguchiya, but I might be wrong. I think Kawaguchiya is the name of the company that made (and makes) Mirokus. Miroku first started out marketing guns they called "My Luck"--the Japanese version of which is Miroku (to which they changed when "My Luck" didn't seem to resonate with American buyers). I owned a Kawaguchiya very much like the gun you describe--so marked on the barrel--but "Miroku Model M" was marked on the underside of the receiver.

Charles Daly, of course, is simply the name of an American importer--the name having changed hands a few times since it first appeared in the late 19th century. And likewise, Charles Daly shotguns have been imported from a bunch of different countries and companies. My count might be off, but I can come up with six different countries that have produced shotguns bearing the Charles Daly name. In more or less chronological order: Germany, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Spain, Turkey.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought KFC was absorbed by or molted into Kodensha, but I could be wrong...I know KFC was right in Tokyo...is Kodensha in Tokyo?

Anyway KFC made mostly single shot shotguns...hammer and hammerless...extractor or ejector, including some finely engraved single barrel trap guns.

They also made at least three different boxlock doubles...the highest grade of the three has a Purdy bolt.

the middle grade has a grip helico

the lowest has no rib extension.

all three could be had with ejectors.

What is the model designation of the gun in question please?

They also made 2 types of 101 type over under shotguns...the trap and skeet gun, or the hunting model...both were hand engraved, with the same 101 selective trigger and ejectors..

In my opinion, if this company followed the design leads of any other company, my guess is Verney Carron

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The two O/U KFC guns that I have seen looked exactly like the 101 Winchesters, but with generally more engraving and of the same or better quality. I was told that both were high grade guns. Those made very late 50's. Its been a long time ago. I have seen one KFC SxS and that one did not look like a Miroku. No idea as to model or when made, but it was a case colored B/L w/action side sculpted. I can't recall if it was scolloped or straight.

FWIW, Jaqua had a KFC for sale within the last couple of years, but I don't recall the configuration or specs., only remember seeing it on the list.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. I have a KFc marked O/U made by Miroku; a 20 ga model OS. Definitely not a 101 style.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgot to mention...some KFC SxSs are marked "Hibiki"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.