March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Dave Weber, FlyChamps, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 287 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#548455 06/17/19 10:50 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It you Google this heading, you'll see posts that show how these tools can be sharpened by soaking them in vinegar. I tried it with some worn cabinet-makers rasps, and it actually works. These tools cost $50-$60 each, and so it really pays to get more mileage from them.

Bill Ferguson
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi--how long did you soak them ??
Thanks Sydney

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I put them in a piece of PVC standing vertically for four hours.You need to rinse them thoroughly with a solution of baking soda afterwards otherwise they'll rust quickly. I might experiment with laundry bleach next. I think anything that oxidizes might work. Bleach would probably work a lot faster.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think what you're looking for is an acid, check the PH of bleach. You may be trying to remove steel in this process, not convert it to something else. If you want something more agressive, you could try plain old pool acid.

I've done it a few time over the years, but mainly on garage sale finds. I think you can get some more use out of a rasp or file, but careful with metal files intended for a good finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Search Boggs tool and file sharpening service. For the non DIY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you should always clean your files and checkering tools with a brass wire brush not steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Boggs Tools & File Sharpening for many years.
They do an excellent job, very inexpensivly and are a quick turn around.

The end results are amazing. Even those files you send in that they consider less than acceptable after sharpening (and cost you nothing) are still sharp and usable.
Those 'rejects' are returned with the tang colored in a red dye.

They resharpen drill bits, mill cutters ect also.

Wrap up the files by rolling them up in newspaper so they don't touch each other. Put a note in with the number of pieces and contact info. Pack securely in a USPO flat rate box.
They usually call and let you know the cost.
Sometimes they just ship w/a bill after you've done business with them a time or two.

https://boggstool.com/
Go to the 'Divisions' section and click on 'File Division'
In there is gives some of the prices for various shapes and lengths of files for both sharpening and for buying new (they sell new files also)

I've tried the acid sharpening process before,,this is like getting a new file back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I helped the widow of a late American gunsmith clean out his shop. One of the things I sold for her was a gallon( or half gallon) of a commercial file sharpening solution. As this was about 1983-4, I don't remember the product name.
Gunny,
I have two commercial " file cards", both have short steel bristles( one has fiber bristle brush on the other side). The "trick" is to brush along the rows of teeth, not against them. To clean "pins" that are not dislodged by the card, I use the flattened neck of a cartridge case. Rarely, I have to resort to a scribe. The "trick" for all this is to go along the rows of teeth, not against them.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vinegar that is a new twist for file re sharpening. The traditional method of dip sharpening over here has always been Lead Acid Battery Acid, to move things along a little quicker a slightly stronger mix of Sulphuric Acid 35% Acid 65% de mineralised water. Another apprentice job for me in past times it did take me some time to work out how I got the holes in my work clothes after they where washed. The files where left overnight in the Acid then rinsed in water then left for a couple of hours in washing soda to neutralise any Acid residue. Sharpening files is a sort of long gone practice because the cost of new files today is a fraction in real terms than in the past, Now it is just use cutting tools until the edge has gone them throw them away this culture has come in rather than re sharpen in modern engineering.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think one of the possible problems with many modern files is that they’re case hardened, so the acid quickly cuts through the hard stuff and the remaining steel is recycled mild.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.