March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (docbill, Dave Weber, cable, Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 322 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Was curious to see if there really is a difference? I have read done in the London style or Birmingham made, based on the engraving . Is there really a difference? I would think if you paid enough any Bham gun could easily be a London Gun. Any insight or pics would be great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraving was an outworker job, still is for the most part. The same engravers did guns from all over the country most likely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has taken me many years to figure out that a lot of what I took to be true about 19th century gunmaking, because I read it somewhere, was not.

While I suppose individual London and Birmingham engravers might have stylistic preferences or particular aptitudes, the intertwined nature of the London and Birmingham trade and its use of outworkers would blur any geographical origins.

What I have noticed is an evolution in engraving patterns through the late 1850s and 1860s, and that's as far as I'll go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many provincial makers offered London Pattern sidelocks featuring best rose and scroll or other patterns to customer choice. Dickson featuring Sumner Often the work of Sumner or Kell can be identified on Birmingham products. By the same token, the London makers often turned to Birmingham for actions and components (e.g. Westley Richards @ AA Brown). Characterize it as Symbiotic or Incestuous as you like.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There were engravers and engravers .Some were true artists others did the job to the price paid .
Look at the work of Henry Morris a Birmingham engraver who ran an engraving shop after WW1. Morris had numerous men working for him and trained many apprentices .Some of his work was as good as any I have seen especially his very fine detailed work.I do know that he trained at either Scott's or possibly Webley prior to the amalgamation and took on his last apprentice in 1959 and worked on until the 60's .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Brummy "best" that cost as much as an H&H Royal when new. I think the engraving is pretty solid work and stands up to most.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe one of Henry Morris's last apprentices may have been Ron Collings, a very talented engraver currently based in California. I had the pleasure of meeting Ron during a time that he resided in Canada.
We certainly talked about Henry Morris because at that time I owned two guns engraved by Henry. Henry's Engraving was second to none.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 06/10/19 08:30 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can an "expert" distinguish between London cut engraving and Birmingham cut engraving of the same pattern? I think definitely not. Can an "expert" make a pretty good guess based on the pattern itself? Yes. Yes because house patterns are fairly well known and because most boxlocks were made in Birmingham (which dramatically eases the question). The question if engraved in London or Birmingham falls into the same category as was the gun made in London or Birmingham. A much better question is, "What was the original quality level of this gun?"

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I concur with all the comments above: generally there is no correlation between engraving style or quality and the geographical origin of the gun.
Given the higher wages and costs of London production, I think it would be fair to say that the quality of a TRULY London made gun is ON AVERAGE higher than one from Birmingham and hence the execution may be better. Many top outworkers moved to London for the higher wages but then many stayed and made a good living in Birmingham.
When I look at the work that came out of the P Webley organisation and was retailed by the like of Lang, Evans and Blanch I see engraving of fantastic quality, easily as good as (presumably) London guns made of the same era.
I have always wondered about the Kell style engraving that Blanch used on there Best gun between the turn of the Century and 1st WW. I know that these guns are basically of Birmingham origin but the engraving is so 'Kell' I have always been tempted to think they were engraved in the Kell studios. But we will never know for sure: was there a Birmingham studio doing Kell style work?!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,

Kell style includes the "creeping vine" engraving often seen on Blanch guns?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.