May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, AGS, kemaltunali, David Williamson), 346 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,517
Posts545,692
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox doesn't your state have hunting seasons on shooting racoons ?

I'm betting except in dream land you ain't been squirrel hunting in 50 years.

Guess next you'll tell us you landed on the beaches of Normandy.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've enjoyed reading and seeing pics of Blake. Great remembrances.

I once had a good friend who kept a pack of dogs to run bobcats. They would trail nothing else. They would bay, or tree them, eventually and he would kill the 'cat. He had a little feist that rode in the cab of the truck with him everywhere. Little fella always wanted to get in on the fun, but was never allowed. He feared for his safety, with a big cat. One day he drove as close to where the dogs were treed as possible, and got out to walk to them. He thought he left the feist shut up in the truck, and walked in to the set-to. As he approached the scene he saw that the cat had backed down in a hole left where a big tree had been uprooted, and was backed up against the rootwad. A blowdown like that is locally referred to as a "harrikin". About then the feist came running in from behind him, shot through the pack of hounds and in an instant leapt and seized the big 'cat by the throat. With help from the other dogs he hung on until he suffocated the 'cat.

My friend never doubted that little feist again.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bet the fiest belonged to a guy name of little Johnny....

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK-- Joseph-- In MI- you can shoot raccoons, fox, coyotes and woodchucks on private lands with the landowners permission year around- and if the farmer has crop damage permits, deer- even in the summer- No limit either, except on the deer.

I usually hunt waterfowl in the mornings Oct-mid Nov. and if the day is warm and sunny and the leaves are coming down, squirrel hunt in the afternoons-- so,you lose your bet.

The only vermin/predator with a "season" here are corvids- due to some "Toro-Caca" based treaty with Mexico years ago-but even then, there is a loophole- "If the crows are either a nuisance or are causing depredation (look that word up in your FunkinWagnalls) you are allowed to kill them, no limit.

Limit on Fox squirrels is 5/day- grey or black (Obama specials)- we get few black squirrels around here- but in the Battle Creek area, they are abundant- Mr. C.W. Post brought a pair back from a trip to Europe in 1910- turned them loose on his estate, and they took off like dresses on prom night-

I don't dream about hunting squirrels, I do it- and enjoy shooting any of my scoped .22's (mainly Winchesters-pre-1960) for "tree rats". Stay well- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF, your black fox squirrels did not come from Europe. They are a North American species. Just a different color morph.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We have Abert's squirrels here, mostly the grey variety but we have black ones too. Never shot an abert's squirrel but killed a bunch of grey squirrels growing up. Rabbits too but then I developed an allergy to rabbit fur so they get a pass from me these days.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too- but I get a rash on my fingers after dressing our Rabbits, so I also give them a pass- fried rabbit- yumm- tastes like chicken. But I use a rabbit fur decoy, and the squealing rabbit call on my Johnny Stewart electronic game called to lure coyotes to their doom- in Jan-Feb---RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Abert's are extremely tasty. And live in cool country that is great fun to hunt. The black variety up on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon are called Kiabab squirrels but they are just melanistic Aberts.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am real surprised no one has mentioned gray squirrels boiled, deboned and then cooked with dumplings. Use over a half stick of butter, black pepper, and man is that a meal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always made Brunswick stew out of them, and never concerned myself with whether they were old, or young animals. I did cheat, and use beef bouillon for the stock, or, if I had it, canned beef gravy. If browning the squirrels prior to stewing them made a difference, I couldn’t tell. I also preferred mashed potatoes on the side, but, potatoes in the pot was good as well. It always seemed to come out good, and I fed it to more than one person over the years who became “other dark meat” converts.

Best,
Ted

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.