March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#547411 06/02/19 08:24 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought this rifle a few years ago because it appealed to me as a nice example of early-mid 20th century American gunmaking. I really know nothing about it other than I find it as intriguing, and for me, that's alot with respect to bolt rifles.

Anyway, I thought that I would post some photos of it when things are a bit slow and maybe someone here will recognize the maker from the checkering or inletting work.

It remains a .30-40 and it has the original barrel with superbly filled screw holes. That and the quality of the inletting and the sense of proportions suggests, to me, someone that did this a lot.

The barrel sight is it only unfortunate part - it is a Williams of more recent manufacture. I would like to replace it with something more appropriate.

I would also like to consider scoping the rifle. I think. With something appropriate to the vintage of course. I have a lot of external scopes, but I think a Lyman Alaskan or something like that might be a better choice in this case. I have no idea about mounts or even other scopes options. It does not look like an easy beast to fit with glassware.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn nice Krag! I'd love to own it, probably leave it as is, were it mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice one.. I've always liked the Krag sporters.
Winchester butt plate?

I'm working one over now. Someone elses sporter probably from about the same time.
The M/C stock style had to go, the forend was way too long and overall was just not styled the way I would have liked it to be. 'Pancake' cheekpiece and a schnoble f/e tip now.
Still working on it.

It has nice Pacific sights which was the big plus for buying it in the first place. No rear bbl sight.

The big downer was a look at the inletting once the metal was out of the stock!
Decent wood to metal fit at the edges but they went on an open pit mining operation inside there.
Glass bedding to the rescue and it's looking pretty good now.

Probably should have ditched the wood and started over, but once I got going....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I think it is a Winchester plate.

Whoever did it, knew what he was about. Maybe he was just a better than average garage bubba, but I don't think so. On the other hand, no one here seems to recognize it either.

I find it sort of amazing to look at all the sporterized Krags out there and the range of skill and vision (or lack there of) that they exhibit.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yours reminds me of a Krag Hornet that was listed for sale on this forum many years ago. A search may turn it up. I don't recall who it was attributed to if anyone.

John

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Great little rifle, maybe a Stoeger. The fellow who inletted tne front sling swivel/barrel hanger needs to sharpen his hatchet however. The Williams sight is common to many Krag sporters. My Stoeger Krag has that sight. Your barrel sight is very nice and you do not need to destroy your rifle with a scope installation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A period correct scope would not destroy anything for me. And it may increase its utility substantially. The William's may be common, but for me, it is uglier than some scopes.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

One practical issue to consider regarding scoping is whether it will fit you. It appears there is quite a bit of drop in the stock and I'm guessing the peep sight comes up perfectly. The addition of a scope will reposition the line of sight up at least 5/8" to 3/4". Forgetting that it will negative impact the rifle's value (while costing money) you should consider whether you'll be disappointed with it afterwards. More than likely you'll find you have little or no contact with your cheek. I would strongly recommend you leave it along but just one man's opinion. Good luck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.