May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Jim585, KDGJ, Tim Wolf, 2 invisible), 521 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,453
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Good to see old friends. Relatively slow for our table. I talked to some people who did very good and others who moved little or nothing. Spotty but some good guns did sell, a nice Grant side-lever and a lovely cased Purdey both found new homes. Over all a success and we will return next year.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, I feel like we have seen mixed messages on pricing lately. Did the show suggest any trend to you?

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

The Purdey had a very strong sale price and condition to match. The Grant was a bargain. The things that moved were priced right for the most part. I priced stuff to sell and had many people comment on the good prices. Over all I would say prices are down from the peak but not as low as some people would have you believe.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was there Saturday. A wonderful show (1100+ tables). Came to see some marvelous double guns that I’ll never own but can still appreciate and enjoy. Thanks, Steve, for the heads up. I had it on my calendar but currently being on any-day-now grandbaby watch almost caused it to slip by me.
Relative to pricing and interest in collector firearms, something dawned on me about half way through my time there. “Oh, boy. The building is full of OWG’s.” Overwhelmingly, the crowd was old (or older), white and male. I brought my 40 year old son with me but clearly it was an old guys event.
Later that evening I read Darin Carwin’s “Message from the President.” He is president of the Colorado Gun Collectors Association. In part, he said, “The last eighteen months has seen the passing of more CGCA club members than I can ever recall before. We have lost club Founders, past Presidents and other leaders and members who have contributed untold hours to making our club and the CGCA gun show what it is today. It makes me think about what the future holds for our hobby. The club’s membership numbers are still robust due to new members joining. However, most of our new members are only a few years younger than the average club member.”
Interest in classic double guns, and classic guns in general, is not reflecting the diversity of America or the younger generations.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Speude Bradeos
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Darin(great guy) is spot on as are you. We have a seriously aging hobby/industry and bringing in new generations is key. I took out two new hunters last year and think I have them both hooked. Getting youth outside, into the field and off the phone is key in my mind.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ShowMeSon
I was there Saturday. A wonderful show (1100+ tables). Came to see some marvelous double guns that I’ll never own but can still appreciate and enjoy. Thanks, Steve, for the heads up. I had it on my calendar but currently being on any-day-now grandbaby watch almost caused it to slip by me.
Relative to pricing and interest in collector firearms, something dawned on me about half way through my time there. “Oh, boy. The building is full of OWG’s.” Overwhelmingly, the crowd was old (or older), white and male. I brought my 40 year old son with me but clearly it was an old guys event.
Later that evening I read Darin Carwin’s “Message from the President.” He is president of the Colorado Gun Collectors Association. In part, he said, “The last eighteen months has seen the passing of more CGCA club members than I can ever recall before. We have lost club Founders, past Presidents and other leaders and members who have contributed untold hours to making our club and the CGCA gun show what it is today. It makes me think about what the future holds for our hobby. The club’s membership numbers are still robust due to new members joining. However, most of our new members are only a few years younger than the average club member.”
Interest in classic double guns, and classic guns in general, is not reflecting the diversity of America or the younger generations.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Perhaps there needs to be a reach across the aisle. I am 37 and buying, but none of my other young professional friends have any interest in guns, hunting or fishing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the same discussion with a friend. Dealers were old, public was old, what was the future? That was the Vegas show...in about 1975. So...all in all...no change except our age. I lost that friend last year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was there Friday and part of Saturday. Wonderful show for displays, Winchester levers and pre-64 Model 70s. Pretty thin on vintage American doubles. In American doubles, some messed with, refinished shooters, plenty of old brown money pits, but real "collectors" items could be counted on one hand. Had some "interesting" weather getting out of there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

...and now the rest of the story (really, the best of the story.)
The new grandson made a safe sunrise arrival this morning!
Grandpa, though, is already wondering if those big hands will fit some of those thin wrist-ed doubles in the safe. 😉

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations on your new grandson. May he grow up to be big, strong and a avid outdoorsman. Never knew an avid outdoorsman I did jut like.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.