April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (vern21, GETTEMANS), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Its a shell built using the Cheddite hull. If your gun or guns had issues extracting them, theyd probably have issues extracting ANY shell built using the Cheddite, including but not limited to RSTs. Seeing how pretty much all Cheddite hulls are built the exact same way.

And why on earth would you use shells that have corroded heads? That in itself would more than likely lead to extraction issues in any gun. Good lord.

On the flip side, my shooting buddy has shot oodles of those Italian Herters loads in 16 gauge, I never witnessed an issue. He gets about 4 to 5 reloads out of the hulls too before theyre trashed. I myself have popped off around a thousand or so of the 12 & 20 gauge loads without a hiccup as well. Even a finicky Franchi 48 chews em up and spits em out. Thats saying something.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Corrosion on steel head shells is a known storage issue.

They certainly were not shipped from Italy that way.

I've been sold corroded Winchester shells from Bass Pro, and corroded Fiocchi shells from Guns Galore.

Brass head shells are not immune from storage related deterioration either.

The steel head shells do not age well in paper boxes in any environment above 50% or so humidity.

Considering the stuff likely gets here in a shipping container on a boat it's amazing the condition on delivery is as good as it usually is.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II
There is a Remington Gun Club 16. loaded with an oz. of 7 1/2 and $8 a box. Not a wide selection and a bit pricey for large volume shooting. Those Herter's shells were the thing I bought from Cabela's after the take over. No reason to go there ever again.

No Gun Club 16's, but there are Rem Lead Game Loads in 16ga: 1 ounce, 6-7 1/2-8. The hulls reload pretty well, but I happened to find a good reloading recipe for 7/8 oz in Cheddite hulls, and I have several flats of new Herter's to shoot up. No problems at all with them in several different 16's I've used. But looks like that may have been luck of the draw. So far, haven't found any corrosion on the heads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Its a shell built using the Cheddite hull. If your gun or guns had issues extracting them, theyd probably have issues extracting ANY shell built using the Cheddite, including but not limited to RSTs. Seeing how pretty much all Cheddite hulls are built the exact same way.

And why on earth would you use shells that have corroded heads? That in itself would more than likely lead to extraction issues in any gun. Good lord. ...

I have shot thousands of Cheddite hull loads in my Fox 16 and it works flawlessly with them. I loaded from a fresh box of Herter's shells and did not inspect the heads with birds coming in. After the problem ejecting the first load, I inspected ALL the shells in the flat and about half were corroded. I had to sort out the ones that were usable and sperate them from the corroded ones. OF COURSE I DID NOT CONTINUE SHOOTING THE SHELLS WITH CORRODED HEADS. GOOD LORD!

I put this on the vendor who sold them.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How does the vendor who sold them control shipping conditions in a sealed cardboard case? Gimme a break. I put it on you, who loaded your gun with shells that had corroded heads. Do a better job of paying attention to detail and look at what you put into your gun before loading it. Even by your own admission the shells with out corroded heads ran fine, yet you pull no punches disparaging the entire line of Italian made, Cheddite hulled shells that work fine for 99% of the people whove used them.
Corroded bases on these newer steel based hulls that are brass or zinc washed is not uncommon. Check em before you load em.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.