April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Just wanted to say I am pleased to report that, in accordance with the ridiculous rules here in Canada, I have taken the course and passed the exam to qualify to buy and possess hand guns.

I also convinced two non gun owners/users to take the full course (I only needed an upgraded license), along with getting another member here, VictoryXC, to upgrade his license to handgun.

The single best way we can fight back against encroachment is to get more people shooting and owning guns, especially women.

One of the newbies is my ex, and to her surprise she found that a friend of hers (our son's classmate's mother) shoots regularly, and so is extremely excited about getting started.

Once I receive my actual license I will be applying in NH for my CC permit. They have issued them in the past to Canadians.

Of course, now I have to figure out what to buy. Always fun shopping for new guns.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/29/19 10:31 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

James, I have a Ruger Mark II bull-barrel .22, registered for target shooting, now restricted to the club. Has there been a change in regulations concerning handguns? Isn't Ottawa polling to ban handguns? I can't find enthusiasm to take on Ottawa; seems most have given up, including local gunshops. Opinion, please.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am just not a handgun guy but after an experience I had last week that may well change. Considering a Colt SAA to keep my neighbors Dobermans inline after one them put a hole in one of my bird dogs last week. The only issue would be I have never been able to hit a barn door from the inside with a handgun. Then again at inside 6 ft I might be able to manage with a bit of practice.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats cback. Food for thought, recently I thumped a few gophers for the first time in quite a few years. I took a 22lr revolver and had a blast. Steve, consider something that you're likely to have with you consistently, the next time they may try to corner you.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh they did Craig, the big male circling me and looking for an opening. I just ordered some repellent spray as well. I am a pretty big guy and loud when I need to be. I let them know I was more than going to put up a fight. I think if I showed any fear the outcome may have been very different. Good idea on the .22lr, might be a better option than a .45 LC.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve. please do not do that. An SAA of any brand, Colt, Ruger, etc. is for fun, not work. You'd be better off buying a little 9mm carbine.

Get a Glock or an S&W M&P and learn how to shoot it. 9mm is the default caliber and would be fine, but I like something different, like a Glock Model 40 10mm Longslide 6" with an RDS, or a Model 31 in .357 Sig. Potent medicine both.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101174102

JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank You for the advice. I have never warmed to the Glock safety and lean towards revolvers. Might need to do a bit of research as to what will work for me.
Steve

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
....Good idea on the .22lr, might be a better option than a....

Sorry Steve, I wasn't thinking pick a .22, only that they can be a ton of fun. For me, I'll take a good confidence shot up to seventyish yards, but fifty is better for me on the ground squirrels. Fun stuff, you can see the misses kick up dust at this time of the year.

Anyway, mostly I wanted to comment that I think single action revolvers have a definite place. I just think if you started regularly carrying a SAA, it would be disappointing to see rubs and scratches show up even if you had the ability to restore it. I have enough odds and ends to actually go looking, but if a decent 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41mg or 45LC wandered in front of me at a great price, I'd probably pull the trigger. I'd be pretty sure the neighbors got the message, but riled up dogs can be tough to reason with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two SAAs, both Italian made by Uberti. One is traditional .45 Colt. The other has a slightly larger cylinder diameter & is in .44 Mag with an extra .44-40 cylinder. I love them both, though have never used the .44-40 cylinder.

The SAA is a very natural pointing revolver. I would not choose one as a regular carry gun for self-defense, but for the purpose stated it should work great.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

your problem with dobermans, is not the dogs, but the owner...did you tell owner of dobermans that his dogs attacked and injured your dog? did you file a police report? taking the law into your hands and shooting someone elses dog is likely to get you shot...time to consider alternatives to violence...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.