May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (cable, Lloyd3, Canvasback13, R Reynolds, Pwog, GETTEMANS), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,551
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one who knows me will be surprised but I have to nominate the Manufrance Ideal. Simple, reliable, extraordinarily strong, in production for 100 years and a true round action. What more could you want.

The thing that holds it back is an incredibly poor safety design.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/29/19 02:19 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

No one who knows me will be surprised but I have to nominate the Manufrance Ideal. Simple, reliable, extraordinarily strong, in production for 100 years and a true round action. What more could you want.

The thing that holds it back is an incredibly poor safety design.

Well...not to nitpick, but the MF Ideal isnt a BL. When someone refers to a boxlock, it usually means an action based off the original A&D design. Nice pic though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil

My vote for best overall BL design goes to the W.W, Greener Facile Princeps or FH series guns. These guns are ridiculously strong, petite actions, the internals are robust and hearty....the fastening system is far superior to the W&S series too. Youll rarely see these guns in the shop for action issues or being off the face.

Oy. Nice guns and all, but, not idiot proof. If someone tries to close it when It isnt cocked, it breaks. And, if you see one in a shop on this side of the pond, chances are better than good the pooch has already been screwed. Ed Landers wont be fixing that one.

Is ed 1 trying to sell a Browning? Cant think of a different reason hed pipe up.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

yo no feedo el trolldo...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was referring to the G, or self acting ejector, which was a different gun than Dustin was talking about. My mistake.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The three main action designs for break open double guns are; sidelock, boxlock & trigger plate. A boxlock does not have to be of Anson Deely design to qualify as such. There were even muzzle-loaders well before Anson & Deely which were called BoxLocks because the firing mechanism was placed "In the Box" (Frame) rather than on a side plate.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ithaca Flues has the fastest lock time; great balance between the hands; and overall elegance. Best of all, it is not on the radar for the masses. A true connoisseur's smoothbore.

JKB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Hurrah" for the American Makers, who produced guns that even us "Po Boys" could afford.
It's somewhat like asking whether a Ford or Chevrolet is best because neither is as good as a Roll's. Either is far ahead of walking if you have far to go.

I have over the years enjoyed shooting with various brands of the American made guns, even the lowly Stevens, & enjoyed my times afield with them all.
Had I been required to wait until I could use an "English Best" I would have had to go armed with a Slingshot.

I simply find Mr Vickners to be highly prejudiced against "ANY" American & frankly in the Famous words of Rhett Butler in GWTW I don't give a *(#@%.
I love my Lefevers & don't truly care whether he likes them or not.
The ball joint does its job & so what if it made assembly a bit cheaper, all the better to keep the cost down.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

While the BSS is reliable, I have seen two of them "off face" and they are surely over heavy.
Fortunately there are more choices than English Best as an alternative to American po boy doubles.
Any middling Birmingham boxlock shows superior fit and finish.
Only the finest American doubles come close.
I know that I am no gunsmith, but Dewey Vicknair seems pretty on target to me.

Last edited by Saskbooknut; 04/30/19 09:33 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.