April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FelixD, Dan S. W., 1 invisible), 441 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
Like Rocketman said, the forearm shows lots of use (checkering worn to the nub). Add replacement barrels, Id wonder if not at least a bit tired, if not more so. Id want to examine that gun closely before I jumped in. A lot would depend on the price for me. As a side note, I once asked David Trevallion what he thought about Henry Atkin guns, and his response to me......theyre old.

I shoot a gun made in 1920 that works as well today as the day it was made. Old doesnt matter. Condition does.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: buzz
Like Rocketman said, the forearm shows lots of use (checkering worn to the nub). Add replacement barrels, Id wonder if not at least a bit tired, if not more so. Id want to examine that gun closely before I jumped in. A lot would depend on the price for me. As a side note, I once asked David Trevallion what he thought about Henry Atkin guns, and his response to me......theyre old.

I shoot a gun made in 1920 that works as well today as the day it was made. Old doesnt matter. Condition does.

1920 was a third of a mans lifetime, and perhaps the most important 30 years of critical understanding of production, composition, and development of steel since 1890. If we are still talking about the gun the OP is considering, the front wood and the inscription on the tubes give an indication of condition, and it demonstrates considerable use.

Were it me in his shoes, that gun would be a conditional buy, with the passing of a completed inspection, gladly at my cost, by one of the recognized double gun smiths, say, Dewey Vicknair, Del Whitman, Kirk Merrington, or, whoever holds a similar reputation in Canada.

That said, I admit it isnt me. Good Luck was a statement I didnt mean lightly. Few things in the hobby burn money faster and harder than a sick sidelock with a pedigree.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I own it now. The condition was much nicer in person than in the photos. Action is tight, bores are flawless, ejectors work. It's lovely. The fore-end is better than it looked in the photo - the wood is very dark, not oil-saturated. Yes the checkering worn but it was very shallow and flat-topped in the first place. I may not have it refreshed at all.
Regarding the rib inscription, I had mistakenly related to Nick it read "Barrels Re-fitted by..." and his thought, maybe in the nature of devil's advocate, was if they can't get the terminology correct then maybe its fair to change it.
Rocketman, do the numbers come out the same whether side lever or top? Not debating here, simply curious.
thanks everyone for your insights.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope it is a wonderful gun for you.

Keep us posted.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelevers are uncommon enough I haven't gotten a statistically significant difference. I think it is more of a specialized interest. Like anything, when two guys of means go at over the same gun at an auction, all value bets are off. I, personaly, conclude that the top lever wins against all comers for practicality and aesthetics. Fashion wasn't the deciding factor.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JBLondon
Well, I own it now. The condition was much nicer in person than in the photos. Action is tight, bores are flawless, ejectors work. It's lovely.

Fantastic, Im pleased for you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

A very happy JB arrived at my home yesterday complete with the cased Atkin!
JB has asked me to share with you my thoughts on first sight of the gun.
A 12G S.L.E by Henry Atkin, No1 of a pair,circa 1895.An excellent example of the work of Henry Atkin, described by Teasedale-Buckle in his book, "Experts on Guns and Shooting"[Published in 1900] as one of the best gunmakers practicing in the London Trade.
The best quality replacement Damascus Barrels are engraved on the rib "Fitted by Webley and Scott limited, Birmingham." The "Limited",indicates that the barrels were made some time after 1897.
The barrel dimensions were measured and compared to the proof marks and confirmed to be," in proof". The chamber length was 2 1/2.Wall thickness of the Barrels was at least .025.
You will have seen from the pictures and comments by others that JB has a fine addition to his collection.
If this was my gun all that I would do is to; strip, clean and refinish the wood.

NB:
It is highly likely that the Damascus barrel blanks used to re;barrel this gun were drawn from old stock made By W & C Scott.so as to match the original barrel material.
It is not uncommon to encounter re;barreled #1 guns; likely because it was the #1 gun that got the most use!

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/09/19 09:31 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, congratulations on the new addition to your collection. Looking forward to seeing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting thoughts about the tubes fitted by Webley & Scott. Of course that would have required reproof. And unless there was yet another reproof after that (I was unable to tell from the proofmarks I could read on the flats), the reproof for those fitted barrels took place no earlier than 1925. (Chamber length wasn't marked prior to that, other than for guns with exceptionally long chambers.) So the suggestion that the barrels are old stock makes a lot of sense. Not a lot of new Damascus barrels being made after 1925.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Re: Mr. Hebbes
Roy, it was such a pleasure to meet with you, see your guns/books/accoutrements, and bask in your experience and British vintage gun knowledge. Thank you. Spoiler alert: I did not buy just one fine gun on Sunday.

James, Patrick, and Stephen - thanks for your kind words and you can certainly see the Atkin or even shoot a round of skeet with it at the SXS classic this June.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.