Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canada considers its servicemen and women differently from the US, Bill. The notion of warriors as heroes doesn't generally enter it. It's a volunteer force. It goes where it is sent by politicians. We admire its professionalism although not always their missions. Holding military personnel to account for war policy is unintelligent and old-fashioned. A big difference between yours and ours is the US does not neglect its armed forces between wars as we do.The US is the West's police and we're a cop on a beat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, we've also been an all-volunteer force for a long time. Unfortunately, residual resentment from the Vietnam years--terribly misdirected at those who served, most of whom would have rather been somewhere else--carried over for quite some time.

I served in an Army Reserve Military Intelligence Detachment in Iowa City. University of Iowa, pretty liberal back then. If we wanted to go out for a drink after drill in uniform, the only place we felt comfortable was the American Legion. The commanding officer and I went out for dinner one evening in uniform. Some [censored] made a smartass remark about "weekend warriors". He obviously didn't understand the meaning of the medals on the Old Man's chest--nor what other insignia on his uniform indicated. He was a Korean War vet. Served in the Ranger company of the 2nd Infantry Division. (I'm pretty sure he enlisted under age.) Had a couple purple hearts, and occasionally a piece of shrapnel would work its way out of his leg.

Things got better, but it was a long time coming. I was an instructor at Northern Iowa when former CIA Director Bill Colby came to campus to give a speech, late 70's. Not a lot of noise, but some protesters with signs about 20,000 deaths in Vietnam. (Colby ran the Phoenix Program, which--much like today's drone strikes--targeted key Viet Cong leaders.) Most people did not know that Colby had gone behind enemy lines twice during WWII (France and Norway) as an OSS officer. Genuine American hero. He remarked that he'd been offered a lot more money if he'd trash the CIA in a book or in his speeches. Unfortunately, campus crowds back then were much more welcoming to people like the traitor Philip Agee, who "outed" hundreds of his fellow CIA officers in his memoir. And somehow managed to avoid prosecution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Justified or otherwise, I file that kind of behaviour under ignorance. Nothing else can explain it. I've never seen or heard of anything like it in Canada. A nearby town changed its name to Dieppe after the failed raid on July 19, 1942, at a time when we were losing everywhere. Our military had the country's respect, and there's abiding respect to this day for FDR and Ike for marshalling and commanding forces to save us from looming tyranny.

A lightly populated country compared to the big powers, Canada finished the war with the fourth-largest air force and third-largest naval surface fleet in the world. My Scottish uncle was No. 2 Commando, my Dad bomber pilot shot down in 1942, intelligence chief of The Great Escape. They'd be embarrassed to be called heroes. Our family served under Nelson, took part in burning of Washington, and included a commissioned officer on transport Northumberland that took Napoleon to exile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to all of you for what you did and what you gave.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

King Brown,
Regardless of whether the Canadian forces are volunteer or drafted, I for one appreciate very much their service in the World Wars and the ones since then, especially in the "Sand Box". I may question some Canadian's politics, but never your soldiers bravery.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it was 1968 when a family three houses down the road from my parents lost a son in Viet Nam. He had jumped on a grenade saving other members of his platoon, but was killed instantly. He got a posthumous promotion from E-4 to Sergeant. My Mom was talking to our next-door neighbor lady about it, and they suggested to me and my best buddy that we should walk over and offer our condolences. I had never paid such a condolence call, and didn't know what to say, but we nervously went.

It was a warm day and the grieving family was in the living room. When we came onto the porch and walked to the screen door, they quietly invited us inside. We went over to his parents and told them how sorry we felt. His Dad rubbed our heads and tears welled up in his eyes, and he left the room unable to speak. His Mom hugged us, and I'll never forget the pained look in her eyes. Even years later, you could still see that pain because she lost her son. I just can't understand how anyone could spit on someone because they served in Viet Nam.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Justified or otherwise, I file that kind of behaviour under ignorance. Nothing else can explain it. I've never seen or heard of anything like it in Canada. A nearby town changed its name to Dieppe after the failed raid on July 19, 1942, at a time when we were losing everywhere. Our military had the country's respect, and there's abiding respect to this day for FDR and Ike for marshalling and commanding forces to save us from looming tyranny.

A lightly populated country compared to the big powers, Canada finished the war with the fourth-largest air force and third-largest naval surface fleet in the world. My Scottish uncle was No. 2 Commando, my Dad bomber pilot shot down in 1942, intelligence chief of The Great Escape. They'd be embarrassed to be called heroes. Our family served under Nelson, took part in burning of Washington, and included a commissioned officer on transport Northumberland that took Napoleon to exile.

I've been to Dieppe. Stark reminder of brave Canadians who gave their lives.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith,
I remember coming home on leave for 30 days after my return. After a couple of days to reorient myself, I went over to one of my high school buddies house to say high and perhaps hang out with him. I remember his dad coming to the door with an awful look on his face only to tell me that Ronny didn't come home. I stopped trying to look up old friends until after my 4 years were up. I can still see that ghostly look on his face.
My heart goes out to anyone with such experiences.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been to Dieppe. Stark reminder of brave Canadians who gave their lives. [/quote]

Better yet, Dieppe is a stark reminder of what terrible planning, worse execution, and flawed vision will end up like on a battlefield. Dieppe was a waste of man & material. Even though Churchill and Mountbatten justified it till the end, that was to save face.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You got it right, Lefusil. I wrote the story as part of regimental history of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, led by former quarterback of the CFL Hamilton Tiger Cats, two of his halfbacks as company commanders.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.