Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got some guns that will fire twice simultaneously with one muscle contraction of my hand. They are not machine guns. There are some of these guns that have been known to fire two shots simultaneously with one pull of the trigger. They are not machine guns.

It has long been known that a semi-auto rifle can be fired repeatedly by hooking one's thumb into a jean pocket or belt loop and having the recoil move the rifle back and forth pushing the trigger against thumb or finger. That is not a machine gun.

A device attached to the side of a semi-auto firearm that by means of a cam rotates continuously activating the trigger is not a machine gun.

A stock that is, for all intents and purposes, loosely attached to the action that allows the action to move back and forth firing as the action moves forward again is not a machine gun.

The average guy on the street who buys a gun and puts a bump stock on it is probably not going to hit what he's aiming at on the first shot much less any subsequent shots.

Bump stocks are not machine guns and never will be no matter how many times anyone says they are.

Also, I still have my doubts about the guy in Las Vegas. I think he was dead before the shooting rampage started. The range at which the shots were taken and the angle at which they were taken doesn't add up to the lethality of the shooting.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
I don't care about bump stocks and don't care if they are banned. What I do care about is they claimed they are something they are not. If they can claim they are machine guns, they can classify anything they want to as machine guns, even if they don't fit the definition. We already see many talking heads talking about "simi-automatic machineguns".
Mike

This.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was floored when they allowed them in the first place. Seemed like a decision that was ripe for reversal from the day they made it.

The problem is that there a boatload of them out in the wild, many of them purchased with cash and no record of the sale. How do you put that genie back in the bottle?

My solution? Add them to the NFA registry. Tell folks they have X amount of time to either turn them in or register them. Make the tax fee reasonable . . . say $50-$75 . . . and the penalty for possession severe. Sort of like the "Any Other Weapons" on the NRA registry (i.e. Auto and Burglar). The fee for those is only $5 (established in 1935).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nudge
Der Ami,

I promise you, as a matter of principle we're not far from each other. I just feel battles are best fought in places where you have the best ground under you. Otherwise, remove, and look for a better place to make a stand.

Nudge

You have to make a stand on everything. There is nothing to be gained by trading away something in the hopes of appeasement. There is no appeasement.

That said, the earlier comment "it effectively mimics full auto" caught my eye. This is semantics in my opinion. The vast majority aren't engineers and don't care the "how" something works. They care about that it works. Bump stocks effectively create a full auto experience. If the subject is to be dealt with effectively, better to deal with it head on than to hide behind word play.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

That said, the earlier comment "it effectively mimics full auto" caught my eye. This is semantics in my opinion. The vast majority aren't engineers and don't care the "how" something works. They care about that it works. Bump stocks effectively create a full auto experience. If the subject is to be dealt with effectively, better to deal with it head on than to hide behind word play.

Exactly. If it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, it smells like a duck. It's a duck.

Without having read the exact verbiage of the National Firearms Act of 1934, I don't think a new law should be needed. Maybe belt loops are outlawed already too.

Last edited by BrentD; 03/27/19 08:36 AM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes- so maybe with the belt loop ban pending from our elected "numb-nuts" it might be a smart move to invest in the suspender (braces for our Limey readers) making business. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Giving in on this is what I call a "Russian Compromise"( maybe I should say "liberal compromise"); they say " what is mine is mine and what is yours is mine- I'll compromise and let you have half of yours back". This sets a new baseline for the next time they demand a compromise( and they will)and then we lose half of the half we have left over. I spent most of my working life estimating and negotiating changes to contracts. An "auction" is not a negotiation and seldom results in a fair and equitable adjustment to the contract price. Similarly if we give away rights in an auction we are not being fair to our progeny, whose rights we give away so people will say we are reasonable. The biggest mistake we make is believing they have good intentions. We know from long experience that they will use those that have gone through a heartbreaking experience and tell them an inanimate object is the cause of their loss( not the one that wielded it), then present them to the public; so if we resist we are evil. The kids that lost their class mates or the parents of the lost students are not the ones we are fighting. We are fighting those that are "setting up" all the rallies, and refusing to let the ones that disagree with them participate. We seldom know who they really are.
Mike
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ATF Firearms Technology Branch examined these a few years back and called them simply a part or accessory.

The complete definition of a "machinegun" under the NFA also includes the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

After the Las Vegas mass murder, the President ordered them to be re-evaluated. The ATF attorneys got more involved this time around and determined that during the original evaluation the law was not being interpreted correctly. Specifically, the meaning of "single function of the trigger."

After a period of review, of which the public was free to submit their own opinions, they were banned.

I don't agree with their assessment, and believe that it is only going to cause headaches down the road. But, it is what it is.

We need to be diligent because the left will never quit or give up. Every day they are finding more and more creative ways to chip away or end arounds at not just firearms ownership but hunting as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The left is slowly chipping away at my rights and my money. Confiscatory tax rates, ever increasing taxes on property, constant backdoor attempts to limit my gun rights and the rights for due process is how they are trying to win.

The fact their supporters never worked hard enough to own anything of value gives them freedom to suggest that its only fair to take from the haves and give to the have nots. Well I did not see any of those SOBs working fulltime while paying for a college and graduate degree like I did. I did not see those SOBs working 60 hours a week for the first 17 years after school. I do sure see them licking their lips to get their hands on my assets to give away to their brain dead supporters.

Its only a matter of time when the minority doing the work gets tired of paying all the bills. When the baby boomer generation retires in 10-15 years the gravey train is done. Millennials and generation X &Z will never be able to carry the load onward. Then we will print money and be the United States of Venezuela.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
....My solution? Add them to the NFA registry. Tell folks they have X amount of time to either turn them in or register them. Make the tax fee reasonable ....

And, what part of this stock is a firearm of any sort? Maybe, we should worry about who is put in charge of reasonable taxes for double guns, if we dont like it we could always turn them in.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.