May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (CJF, Birdog, KY Jon, Stanton Hillis, eeb, 1 invisible), 319 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RARiddell #540115 03/07/19 08:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, my skin is pretty thick (and scarred), It'll take more than some Down North attempt at humor to get me upset.

No, Dad's not needing another dog. There's a reason I've got his out at my son's place. The dogs outlived him, which is why I'm not getting anything but rescues from here on out (have one now). The GSPs were basically pets, but they weren't "In Town" pets. They had the run of 60 acres of Texas Hill Country which isn't even a good warmup for Jack (Jaeger). Fred isn't quite so ambitious. But they are in the closest thing to that right now and were it not for Jack's fresh chicken addiction, he would be allowed more freedom. He's only allowed out under strict supervision.

People think they want dogs so they get a puppy. The puppy becomes a dog and they realize it's like having another person at their house and in their lives, which is a lot of trouble. But, it's just a dog right? The dog always get the short end of the stick.

The couple behind us, who can barely take care of themselves, got a status enhancing Great Dane puppy. You know what happened. He barks incessantly because he wants some interaction and there's nobody to give it to him. There's a hole in the corner of the fence he can look through standing up and he'll let #1 Wife pet him but runs away when I try. Probably has to do with the "Man of the House" over there (just speculation). But, he's way too big for their kids to play with, so now the back yard is his, and his alone. Barking is his only hobby.

Anyway, Good on you for taking in the dog. Good luck.

Alan

RARiddell #540148 03/07/19 10:41 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Nothing sadder than seeing a pointer live in a 6X8 kennel being let out to run once a week if she is lucky. My last pointer, named Ginger, could cover a quarter mile faster than most drag racers. She learned when I let her out she had to sit until released, then she could go to the first fence row, which was a quarter mile away. At that point she would look for the covey of quail which was almost always in it, or nearby. I’d give her a few minutes if she could not find them before a recall. If she failed two days in a row to find them we would go find them. After all that was her job and she love doing it.

RARiddell #540153 03/07/19 11:03 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pointers are near and dear to my heart, she has some very unique markings and I just couldn't stand to see her locked up and wasting away. She is a very young sweet pointer. I thought it would be interesting to see what people thought, based on her looks. She is safe now and we are fattening her up, once she gains all she lost she'll look more like a pointer! She is only 30lbs and all bone. You can't tell from the photos but she is tiny!

RARiddell #540166 03/07/19 11:57 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If you lived in NC you could name her Tarhead. She is a looker. I’d make sure she gets a chance to run in the field. Pointers are such a ball of energy. Mine would work so hard that in hunting season I could not feed them enough to keep them from loosing weight. Had a male who would whine and bark when he got left in the dog box, even if he had hunted the first two farms. Never was enough for him. By end of season his ribs would clearly be showing. I fed him like a Clydesdale and he still lost weight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.