April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

As to the 28 gauge repros, would they sell for anywhere near what they do if there had never been original Parkers built in 28 gauge?

I have my doubts. I dont shop for them, but, there seem to be no shortage of perfect, in the box, repros of all sorts at the shows I go to. Somebody collects them.

Best,
Ted

Well Ted . . . since the Reproduction is a reproduction of the original, there might not even be 28ga Repros if there hadn't been 28ga originals. Yeah, I know Tony Galazan made some 28ga Foxes even though neither Ansley nor Savage ever made any original 28's. But then he doesn't call his guns reproductions either.

The 28ga Repros sell for what they do because, in the opinion of a lot of hunters looking for lightweight small bore sxs, they hit the "lightweight" button a whole lot better than the 20ga Repro does. If sales were based on the collectible factor, 12's would bring more money than either 20's or 28's because fewer of them were made than either of the small gauge guns.

And when a 28ga Repro in very good shape sells for less than a new AyA 4/53 these days (let alone a Spanish sidelock!), and when you compare what you get (a really nice case is included), why should it come as any surprise that they bring the $ they do? They're pretty popular grouse and woodcock guns, relatively speaking, in this part of the country. They'd sell even better, IMO, if more of them had been made with 28" barrels (longer barrels seeming to be the "in" thing these days) and DT. And if the ones with 28" barrels weren't nearly all choked M/F--the constrictions being M/F for a 12 rather than for a 28.

Meanwhile, the BSS Sidelock 20 remains--IMO--both underappreciated (by both hunters and collectors) and underpriced. I'm not sure why. Not that I think 28ga Repros are overpriced, when you look at the 28ga sxs competition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I didn't ask you how your precious SBE is "holding up", now did I? I asked "How many shells do you think you've put through that SBE, Frank?"

Take a deep breath, man. The mistakes you've made are pilin' up. You're squirming like a toad frOg in a frying pan.

SRH

Stan eYe hope yer okay after eating that toad'e frOg...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

Yeah, I know Tony Galazan made some 28ga Foxes even though neither Ansley nor Savage ever made any original 28's. But then he doesn't call his guns reproductions either.

Hey Larry,
Excellent New Britain Foxes made as always in the good ole USA, true to Ansley's 1906 design.
A progression from Ansley and thru the Godshalks, Savage Arms and now Tony.
Take note that A H Fox design guns have been manufactured in New Britain for almost 25 years now,
as compared with Utica at some 17 years and about 23 years in Philadelphia.

New Britain Fox DE
28 gauge 2 barrel set

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is quite a spectacular gun Bob. Any more photos?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Least he could do is find a nice pine tree to lean it against for the photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bob Cash

Yeah, I know Tony Galazan made some 28ga Foxes even though neither Ansley nor Savage ever made any original 28's. But then he doesn't call his guns reproductions either.

Hey Larry,
Excellent New Britain Foxes made as always in the good ole USA, true to Ansley's 1906 design.
A progression from Ansley and thru the Godshalks, Savage Arms and now Tony.
Take note that A H Fox design guns have been manufactured in New Britain for almost 25 years now,
as compared with Utica at some 17 years and about 23 years in Philadelphia.

New Britain Fox DE
28 gauge 2 barrel set

Those are very nice guns indeed, Bob. Wish I could say good things about the Fox A Grades CSMC is currently (or was?) producing for Savage. Somewhere along the line, quality control on those slipped badly--both at CSMC and at Savage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As upgrade from the Browning BSS Sidelock is the BC Miroku Model F, FE and FE II model sidelocks. You have to see and handle to believe, but they're nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There have to be far less than 1100 of those, here. Nice gun, but, both examples I handled did not have ejectors.
No ejectors on a sidelock is a non starter for a lot of buyers.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

As to the 28 gauge repros, would they sell for anywhere near what they do if there had never been original Parkers built in 28 gauge?

I have my doubts. I dont shop for them, but, there seem to be no shortage of perfect, in the box, repros of all sorts at the shows I go to. Somebody collects them.

Best,
Ted

Well Ted . . . since the Reproduction is a reproduction of the original, there might not even be 28ga Repros if there hadn't been 28ga originals. Yeah, I know Tony Galazan made some 28ga Foxes even though neither Ansley nor Savage ever made any original 28's. But then he doesn't call his guns reproductions either.

The 28ga Repros sell for what they do because, in the opinion of a lot of hunters looking for lightweight small bore sxs, they hit the "lightweight" button a whole lot better than the 20ga Repro does. If sales were based on the collectible factor, 12's would bring more money than either 20's or 28's because fewer of them were made than either of the small gauge guns.

And when a 28ga Repro in very good shape sells for less than a new AyA 4/53 these days (let alone a Spanish sidelock!), and when you compare what you get (a really nice case is included), why should it come as any surprise that they bring the $ they do? They're pretty popular grouse and woodcock guns, relatively speaking, in this part of the country. They'd sell even better, IMO, if more of them had been made with 28" barrels (longer barrels seeming to be the "in" thing these days) and DT. And if the ones with 28" barrels weren't nearly all choked M/F--the constrictions being M/F for a 12 rather than for a 28.

Meanwhile, the BSS Sidelock 20 remains--IMO--both underappreciated (by both hunters and collectors) and underpriced. I'm not sure why. Not that I think 28ga Repros are overpriced, when you look at the 28ga sxs competition.

I dont believe for a minute that a 12 gauge version of something will ever sell for what the 28 gauge version of same will, regardless of number produced.

Larry, I believe trying to assign a sensible value to anything with the Parker, Winchester, or, both names, will be useless in a comparison of just about any other make of shotgun.
You can probably put graded Foxes in there as well.

You are right back to my original point. The BSS sidelock represents a hell of a value to anybody looking for a sidelock gun, usable with modern ammunition.
Either gauge.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great informative thread.

Looking back I learned Larry Brown is gun smarter than mr.Ted. blush (That's not true I already knew that).

I learned Stan either eats fried toad frOgs or he tortured them as a kid. crazy

I learned when some people get a new gun it's like a life changing event to them...

Nice gun Ted. cool

Stay tuned for the next Adventures of SupermAn Ted and his side kick ToadmAn Stan.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.