April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, Ian Forrester, Argo44, CJ Dawe), 415 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a broken Colt Agent myself and bought parts from Jack First, and I thought seriously that I could repair it. I had a merry time getting the spring and screw for the new hand in there (no space), and I was up and down finding the spring that got away a few times. I got it all back together and it just did not work.

It was rather frustrating. There were involved really under a dozen parts. The problem was: some parts needed special fitting and one could not see how they interacted, or what was going on, because they operated in two layers, and the problem was underneath the upper layer.

My friend's gunsmith cousin also had a go at it. He, too, failed. So I finally sent it to Cylinder& Slide. They fixed it and tuned it, and it works beautifully now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When looking at EBay its too easy to get overwhelmed with all the clutter. Almost 100% of the clutter is on Buy it Now listing. After looking at it all once if you must and not seeing what you want just skip it and henceforth just search by auction only items. The Buy it Now listing have become a EBay store which has the same items listed forever.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
George and Alan: Wm. Enders Oak Leaf, Enders Royal Service, Royal Field, Royal Western, and Special Service were Crescent tradename guns for Simmons Hdw., and possibly Shapleigh Hdw. Co., St. Louis.
Enders Royal American was a Hopkins & Allen double; Enders Royal a Hunter Arms Co. Fulton tradename double.
Wm. Enders was Sales Manager in 1904, and Vice President of E.C. Simmons Hdw. in 1914.

You can find an estimated DOM here
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1OxZo5Tkvx2G8eYf747QR9B5RJdN6Siu5JGIhfguSXXQ

Looks like mine was made in 1911.

Alan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I love fixing things that don't work. I found a Dewalt band saw once at a garage sale. Had $10 on it. The guy said it didn't work. I handed him a $10 bill, adjusted the blade cant, turned it on, it worked fine, and I left. The guy was looking at the $10 bill when I was driving away.

Another guy had a Jeep Cherokee, he said it wouldn't start and he'd take $500 for it. He had it at a shadetree mechanics house. He said the fuel pump was out. I looked and the hose was disconnected. Hmmm? I got a bit of gas and poured it in the carb (yes it was that long ago). Cranked the engine and it started. Hmmmmm? I thought, if the fuel pump was bad why leave it disconnected but still attached, it's just two bolts. Hmmmmm? I crawled under the Jeep, catching the look on the michanic's face, he wasn't happy. Hmmmmmmm? What are these little wires hanging down right here. Twisted them together and tried the ket again. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... yep! Gave the guy five C notes, started the jeep and drove away. Went through two engines on that jeep, hated every mile I drove it, and every second I worked on it.

J. Stevens 335. Back together, tried it out today. Works great, doesn't double, flips back on "Safe" after every shot. No biggie right? Unless you break the spring messing with it...... looking for one of those tonight....

There's always one more thing. That's life I guess. If everything went perfect every time I'd never look like a genius, EVER!

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: A R McDaniel Jr
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... yep! Gave the guy five C notes, started the jeep and drove away. Went through two engines on that jeep, hated every mile I drove it, and every second I worked on it.
Alan

Yep, as always with a jeep, the seller gets the better deal at any price.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I sold it, I explained that the rear windshield washer hose was broken and pushed the button. Water squirted out directly behind the vehicle in a long stream. The guy thought it was hilarious and never blinked writing the check for $2400... I ran inside and locked the door when he left.

Alan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did those old timers just get a new shotgun and whack it against a tree to break the stock? It seems like every stock I come across is broken at the wrist.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan;
The very first shotgun I personally owned was a J Stevens Arms & Tool Co 12 gauge double which I think must have been a model 335. Unfortunately, I traded it off some 55 years ago. I had it in mind that it may have been a 325, but it didn't have mono-block barrels. At that point in time, I didn't know what chopper lump barrels were so can't say if it had them or not. It had the plain wedge bolt & not a rotary so would have been no higher grade than the 335.

After I bought it I found it would double if the back trigger was pulled first. Investigation showed the holes in the sears were worn & they could shift about a bit. The left sear tail sat a bit lower than the right one so when the back trigger was pulled the sear tails rubbed together & both sears lifted. I placed a small coil spring on the sear pin between them which pushed them apart & it never doubled again.

I knew a man who went to look at an old McCormick gas burning tractor, a W9 which was priced real cheap because it wouldn't run. He looked it over & paid the owner, who then went in his house to write him out a receipt. While he was gone the man took a piece of chewing gum & stripped off the foil wrapper, removed the distributor cap & placed the foil inside. When the owner came back out of the house it was running. His nephew was with him so he drove the truck home & the new owner got on the W9 & drove it home.
The nephew told me about it later when he came to work where I worked & we came good friends, but he didn't know exactly where in the distributor his uncle put the foil, but the reason it wouldn't start was it was failing to produce a spark to the plugs.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have heard of that but don't know how it's done either.

Numrich had the spring for 4.95 + 4.95 shipping. Ebay had the whole safety assembly with spring for $11 + $4 shipping. Ebay won.

Alan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This 335 has a very light left side strike. Second try failed to fire. Fired on the second click. I noticed when cleaning it up that one side of the barrels had a pretty good grove worn from hitting the firing pin. I may be getting one (or two) of those soon too.

Alan

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.