April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, SKB, WBLDon, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 865 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Pete and Small Bore- I don't think CC was going to volunteer to donate any digits for chemical analysis!
Might there be a need for a Slacum Oil Recovery Program?

I have procured napier products from napier usa located in pa. Try 570-296-3768. I thought they were still in business but I could be wrong.

david vandercoy
Sidelock
Sidelock

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can someone educate me on the some of the uses of the rubbing oil that comes with the finish kits?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Small bore,

Is 200 "gr" carnuba wax grains or grams?

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Philbert,
That's grains.
Over the years I have received a lot of correspondence from members of this board, too many to mention as individuals.
Let me say your input is greatly appreciated.Dig's recipe is a very good one to start with, indeed it is probably all you will ever need.Let me add a word of caution about Napier oil, it is very good, very quick drying,it is oil based BUT it does contain Poly. which personally I do not like.
Any of you who stumble across a finishing recipe or tip please post here and perhaps revdocdrew can catalogue it for posterity.
All the very best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mention is made of red oil alkanet root in turpentine and boiled linsee. What proportions are recommended, I am acquiring a few ingredients to mix up a batch.
Thanks

Jeff

JJK
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also need to join SOA, Slacum Oil Annomays. While I can honestly say that my use is small compared to others it is still a habit that I fear I will never beat. My only hope of early release from this addiction, from this habit, involves smoking and drinking. Two other sins not to be allowed these day in the ever PC US. Darn those British gun stockers and their cures they have laid upon all of us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fellow Stock-Rubbers.....When I was a 'Budding Soon to be let into the Inner Circle of Purdeys Highly Secretive Apprentiship Soc. One of my jobs ,down under the Floors of No 57-58 South Audley Street, was helping Harry Lawrence mix-up his Slackum Stock Finish.These were the days when Children of Tender Years,I was 15+60 days, Spoke not' untill spoken too..!When Mr L' said "Stir' I Stirred" I burnt the cra*p out of my fingers over that 'One-Ring" city-gas unit.....much to the enjoyment of the other "Old Craftsmen in the Very Small Workshop" It is pictured in Dallas's PURDEYS BIG RED BOOK.The No ONE Finisher there was Robert"BOB' Thompson, WW 1 Veteran of the Trenches.He was the "Tester of the finished Product...He and "Mr L" had me Wet & Drying old Purdey stocks for them to use test samples on. Each AM. when I had "Push-Biked"from my Mums "Flat' 4 m.!!!The firdt thing I had to do was 'Test the Finish on all the stocks', If they had hardened O/Night. all well for 'Rubbing-Out'....I have still the original'Recipe' Somewhere......Maybe Don D" will use it in the "SOON to Started..Volume Two of PURDEYS. Comm. by Purdeys...I Called my OLD FRIEND, Ken Hunt (Engraver of Note) The Old Fart has made it to his 72nd Birthday April 24....We always go the old Remembrance Route"Theres a new book published on the area around Kells Engraving WorkShop,Eley Cartridges started off there.....lots of Gun related things went on around the narrow streets of Soho...So much to do.....So Little Time..cc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I add the Venice turps to my BL, min. spirits, beeswax concoction will I get the same results as the masters? Will I drop my aitches, say Ta, eat more chips and peas thru the week, kippers on a Sunday?

jack

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.