May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 240 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno Jon. My former pastor hunted deer every season on my place, and my current pastor is a dove shooting enthusiast and hunts with me several times a year. Maybe it's not as politically incorrect down he'ah as it is there. If not, I'm glad it's not.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think his grandfather was talking about being one with nature....

Not laying claim to property.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the other hand, these are available at Lowes:

http://rtecx.com/tree-faces-lowes/

...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was not aware of Pareidolia
https://www.livescience.com/25448-pareidolia.html
https://theartofpatriciaallinghamcarlson.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/face-trees-and-pareidolia/

Apparently the origin of Gnomes and Ents of "The Lord of the Rings"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some pretty deep stuff here to be certain.

The "Great Spirit" or "God" or whatever any group of peoples call "it" we should all know that "it" really defies identification but all people need to call it something. The "Creator" fits the bill for me but I have often made reference to the Great Spirit having a powerful influence on me. I have used this term because the Native Americans' definition of the Great Spirit more closely defines my innermost feelings of the Creator.

We are living beings. We associate, one way or another and on several different levels, with hundreds, even thousands, of other living beings (not necessarily other people) during our lives and the longer we have associated with them the more we have honed our sense of their presence when we are in some degree of proximity with them.

Did you ever have the sense, the feeling, that you were being watched when you are out here in the natural world? I have and I sense this pretty often when I'm out there. The reason we have this feeling is because something really IS watching us. And because of this sense the animals seem to know we are there and they sense a predator among them. In kind, we sometimes sense when they are there and begin to learn the very kind of cover in which they will be hiding or moving.

The "Creator" has given us this sense and some of us - those who heed the call to be hunters - have honed it and pay attention to its whisperings.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Pastor at my Wife’s church is a huge duck and deer hunter, and runs labs. Hunting topics and themes make it into quite a few of his sermons.

https://eaglebrookchurch.com/staff/bob-merritt/

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS

Did you ever have the sense, the feeling, that you were being watched

I did when Satan made me go past the No Trespassing sign.

Sidelock
Sidelock

South Texas has been my home for all but three years of my adult life although we visited and hunted here when I was a kid. I grew up in South Louisiana (almost as South as you can go in Louisiana, Morgan City). I feel quite at home in the South Texas Brush, .... but sleeping out doors on the ground gives me the HEEBEEJEEBEEs.

Contrary to that,

I feel very comfortable in finding a dry spot in a swamp and bedding down for the night.

Now I know there are folks who would not stay in a swamp at night, and rightly so. There are lots of crawly things there.

I don't know why one familiar thing affects me one way and another in a completely different manner. In South Texas on a cool night there are about 10 gozillion stars out not to mention the moon. You can see very well. In the Swamp, it gets dark. You can see straight up and that's it. Aside from up, 20' of visibility is about it.

As a kid I would walk through thigh high water hunting squirrels and rabbits. For miles it's just water and trees. Then I 'd find an old live oak tree that had made its own island from a century of dropping leaves branches and acorns. That's where I could sit and rest, take a nap or spend the night. That's where everything else that wasn't a full time swimmer went to do those things as well. We got along fine. This not to say I was careless. anything fat and black was dispatched with the Stevens and I suppose that commotion kinda cleared the place and claimed the island as my own for the night. I never had one single instance that could be called a close call.

South Texas, scorpions, ticks, rattlesnakes, .... forget it, I'm not sleeping on the ground. I'll stay in a mesquite tree. Oh, Mesquite ants, those big black and white suckers that will raise a knot on you, sting multiple times and cannot be killed by slapping them as hard as you can. Nope no trees... Zipped up tent or in the truck.

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, great thread you started, and no I do not think you are loosing your mind. I'm wondering what your grandfather learned from his father and grandfather.
It is nice to have memories passed down to you and when you were younger they might not have meant much as they do now.

The only relative I had that hunted was my mother's brother. Let me shoot his .410 Stevens 311 and I kept it for awhile and hunted with it. He was a good carver and carved many miniature birds and animals. His favorite was carving a mule with a full pack of tools and bags.
My father never hunted but drove me and friends hunting and would come back and pick us up, never thinking that he was doing something important for himself. During the summer when school let out my mother would drive a few of us fishing until her arthritis became to severe and she became bed ridden.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nightime alone was always something special for me as a youngster. Grandaddy had built a small lake in 1955. I was born in '51 and grew up on Grandaddy's farm, wandering the woods, fields and fishing in the surrounding lakes and ponds. As I got older I really enjoyed "camping out" at the lakes and ponds. One, in particular, had a high bank on one side where I made my campsite. I was also a Boy Scout for many years, so camping was in my blood.

There was one summer that I spent more nights under the stars than I did at home in bed............ many of them alone. That time was from approximately age 12 to age 17. If I was ever scared I don't remember it, and it wasn't important enough to override my love of the woods, and isolation.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am certainly not an anti-social person. I really enjoy hunting, and being with, my friends. But that said, I am very content with being alone. I've been alone much of my life for long periods, but I've never been lonely.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.