May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HalfaDouble, Researcher, 1 invisible), 988 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,526
Posts545,838
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: King Brown
In 1940, wearing moccasins, I went to Caswell Elementary School in Saskatoon in those temperatures. I've never heard since the squeak of snow under my feet.

I hope that was moccasins and really heavy wool sox...Geo

I grew up in Winnipeg probably wearing the same style of moccasins....every kid on the prairies wore them. Grey leather lace up. No lining....just the leather. Then you'd get a felt liner that fit into them. Absolutely smooth bottoms...great for sliding. Not so good for climbing up the hill when tobogganing. But perfect for bumper-shining......hanging onto and getting towed by a car. Usually they didn't know you were there. Great fun.

OMG the world would collapse if kids did that today.

It's about 20F today....we've had 30 hours of on and off again freezing rain. Inch thick on my deck and steps but thankfully the consistency is such that not much is sticking to the trees.

Last edited by canvasback; 02/07/19 07:01 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted looks like your dog likes it.

Global Summer warming will be here before you can bat an eye....

24 tonight I might better get out the Mickey Mouse boots.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just finished walking the dogs, 10 degrees out and 30 plus mph winds. Negative 15 last night. Starts to warm tomorrow.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You need to teach your dogs to use the indoor toilet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

24 tonight I might better get out the Mickey Mouse boots.

I'd kill for a pair of size 14 wide Mickey Mouse boots in the earlier version without the air valve. The ones made by the sub-contractors Hood and Bristolite were the best because they weighed noticeably less than the other manufacturers. They must have used lighter materials or thinner rubber that still met government specs. I have a couple pairs of the newer version with the air valve, and while quite warm and good for stand hunting or ice fishing in sub-zero weather, they are too heavy for doing a lot of walking.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remember the Mickey Mouse boot stories that you pumped air into the valves and that's what caused them to work so good.

After hearing this guy say he had never been duck hunting that his feet didn't freeze off I loaned him mine.
He was duck hunting on the Mississippi river out of a boat blind...he owned a 4 Wheel Drive accessories store after he got back he bought about a half semi tractor trailer load of the boots in various sizes.

In the late 1970s I had a pair of the Hoods marked USMC with no high altitude air valves I recall they had a slick rubber inside.

Myself I think the Bata Rubber Co. ones are the best.

One pair I purchased came with the military instructions pretty interesting read.

I live down South and I have two pair.
If I lived where Ted was I'd have 3 pair for myself two for the wife and one for the dog.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It was about 5 below zero when I got home from work today. My Son and I shoveled the snow that fell after we shoveled yesterday, maybe 2 inches or so. After that, I stepped into the house to warm up a bit, and slipped into warmer boots, and ran the dog. Stiff wind out of the northwest, always a bad thing in February, and Im guessing, -25 to-30 windchill. It died down a bit at sunset, but, it was still unpleasant. No chance the boy, or, the wife were going to tag along.
We saw three deer, and no birds of any type. I feel for the squirrels in this weather, their fur is not all that warm.
The snow is about belly deep on the dog, and it is critical that a lightly furred Setter be able to run to stay warm. If she gets wet in this weather, she WILL get hypothermic. It is easy to see, her tail begins to droop, and she follows rather than leading.
If it wasnt for her, I wouldnt have walked today. I owe my dogs, big time, for keeping me moving.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds familiar Ted. Gus doesn't like the cold, but he likes to go out with me and I with him. Cold here, not quite as bad 2F and lighter wind than yesterday.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The end result of a good run:

Best,
Ted

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.