May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Borderbill, eightbore, mel5141, dogon, Licensed to kill, KY Jon), 386 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,827
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
In 1940, wearing moccasins, I went to Caswell Elementary School in Saskatoon in those temperatures. I've never heard since the squeak of snow under my feet.

I hope that was moccasins and really heavy wool sox...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who have never experienced the squeaking of the snow under foot while playing outdoors at 20 below zero, the creaking /squeaking of the snow is a unique sound and can never be forgotten.

Even now, with a bit of nip, I long to be outside on those coldest winter days.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cold can do some strange things, when it was really cold up in ND my good Estwing hammer would chip off the face of it driving cement nails. How do you drive nails at -30 with mittens(leather choppers) on, you lick your mitten and stick it in the nail bag and the nails stick to it you just turn your hand till one of the nails is facing the right direction, start it and turn your mitten until the next one is facing the right direction

Really cold snow would wear on a snow blower blade like you were blowing sand through it (7' Erskine pull thru blower).

In my tent I had a 30 gallon Olive shipping barrel to keep my water in and it sat near the stove, it would freeze the bottom 6" of the barrel, the top would stay liquid. You could sit in my tent in a T-shirt but have to wear your sorrel liners to keep your feet warm.

Ice on the lakes would crack and the cracks would fill with water, freeze and expand. It would keep this up through the winter and push to ice up on the shore, wrecking any docks left in, on bad years wiping out retaining wall, boat houses even pushing up over the highway in some places. Highway 169 by Garrison, MN is one I remember it getting up on the highway

Last edited by oskar; 02/06/19 05:53 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The morning I shot my first deer with a flintlock, it was -24 below zero F. I had to leave camp and drive to a designated State Game Lands about 20 miles away. My truck barely turned over, but the engine sparked to life just as I thought the battery was finished. As I drove the snow covered dirt road going to the hunting area, I noticed my truck was bouncing to the point that my head was hitting the roof. I thought the dirt road had really deteriorated. This went on for nearly five miles, and was very rhythmic, and varied with my speed. It gradually lessened and then finally stopped. I realized that the extreme cold had made the flat spots on the bottom of my bias-ply truck tires take a set overnight, and it took several miles of driving until the tires rounded back out.

I shot my deer at about 9:00 AM when it was still nearly -20 below. Removing my hunting coat and gloves, and rolling my shirt sleeves above my elbows for the gutting chore was nippy. After I opened the body cavity, I reached into the belly to roll out the stomach and intestines, etc. Sticking my frozen hands into those warm guts felt like fire, and I briefly pulled back because it felt like I was being scalded. Then I gingerly put my hands back in and left them for a long time to thaw out. Guts never felt so good! We had close to a foot of snow on the ground, and the top was frozen solid enough that in most places, I could walk for 50-60 yards without breaking through the icy crust. The deer also slid very nicely on the frozen surface, and that was by far the easiest drag I ever had.

As Clapper Zapper says, being out on sub-zero days is exhilarating, if it isn't too windy. What other time can you wet your whistle by sucking on ice in your frozen beard? Most of my hunting buddies don't share that thought, so I spend those days mostly hunting by myself. Probably not smart, but I love it. Typically, the only sign that there is another human in the world is to look into clear cold skies and see a contrail from a jet.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said Keith.

On those coldest days, we have the whole world to ourselves. Glad you were successful on the deer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think I could hit a nail at minus 30..

Sidelock
Sidelock

No work, no eat, Joe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

70 today...24 tonight.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not 70, today:

About a foot, of fresh white stuff, here. It isnt done snowing yet. The cold front will follow the storm, lows below zero degrees in the evening, highs around 5 above on Saturday.

It will be over, soon.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

82F here this afternoon. Pine trees pollinating, vehicles turning yellow, daffodils blooming. Bass are likely already bedding.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 02/07/19 06:48 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.