May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Marks_21, FlyChamps, Jtplumb, HalfaDouble, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,804
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

The faucets on a house, in this country, are long affairs that extend back inside so that the actual valve is in the heated basement or interior. They don't freeze or break if the house is warm and so long as the hose is removed from the faucet to that outer 12" can drain out when turned off. We never leave them dripping.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan-- my best friend, a farmer- has a JD B, and also an A--both date back before 1950, I think the A has a battery start- the B has the "Armstrong" flywheel set-up. Next time I see him, I'll ask about the cold and how it may have affected either one-I know neither has power steering- I've driven them a few times, and we have set one up with a buzz saw rig, big old belt off the flywheel- hand clutch- great idea--

As for frozen pipes, you most likely know this, but for others, here's one way to thaw a frozen pipe- if you have a Lincoln "Buzz box" transformer AC welder- set the amperage on 75- that will be in a circle on the front panel- on 75 amp. output, you get a 100% duty cycle- all the other settings are on a 20% duty cycle. Lincoln designed this with the farmers in mind-

Run the ground clamp to one end of the pipe run, and the stinger to the farther end- you can use cable extensions if you have them--to add to the developed length of the current flow-- turn on the machine, and monitor the pipe for temp change to your finger touch--

??- and I'll ask Andy about this, next time I'm up his way-- Would a crankcase oil heater, running off a 110V line, help against a block cracking in severe cold weather. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can answer that, about the block heater ....... YES!! I have only used the types that fit into a freeze plug hole, but they work perfectly.

About the only thing that ever freezes up around here is the little pipe nipple under the pressure switch. It is easily thawed in a few seconds with a BernzOMatic torch. Anymore, if it is to get any colder than the low 20s I keep a heat lamp under the cover for the pressure switch and inline brass valve. That works perfectly.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never experienced -30 degree weather in my life and hope I never do. Life stops around here at 0 F and below. smile 18 this morning but forties this afternoon. I've caught up on my reloading, bullet casting and refinished a couple of rifle stocks due to the inclement weather so not a total bust.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had to live where a lot of you guys do, I'd go to bed at first frost and hibernate until opening day of turkey season. We get cold, but at least we know it'll warm up next week...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second that...46 here today and 62 Saturday.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Block heaters! I guess because i'm from Winnipeg, I've had three people ask me this week if I could check under their hood and see if there is a block heater.

In Winnipeg, many, many parking lots, especially city owned or for large companies with many employees, have electrical outlets at each parking spot. This is so the block heater can get plugged in. For decades, visitors to Winnipeg in the summer might ask if there were a lot of electric cars in Winnipeg.

My preferred choice when living there was just to not turn off the car when it gets really cold. Go to a dinner party....leave the car running for 5 hours.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might need to put a heater on that blOck head of yours might help you with the jOe bug stuck inside

Just saying

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent three years living in a tent near Spooner WI. Like every morning you strap on the ski's and check the trapline and then go ice fishing, predator calling.

I spent 12 years living east of Fargo, ND and one year we went 63 days with out it getting above zero. That winter we had a slushy snow on Nov 8 and the ice was still on the roads(except where the chains ground down to the payment) in the spring, The kids in shop class were making extra money fabricating 1 foot extension for our ice augers as the ice got to 4 feet thick that year. Detroit Lakes where the snow was plowed over the roads had frost go down 10' and you could see where they were burning in the bottom of pits in the road so they could dig down and repair frozen pipes.

Those A's started well with ether, mine had e-starter. My AC-WD had a block heater and 7' snowblower my drive way was 3/4 mile long.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Minus 30 something, wow that's cold. I've just thrown another peasant on the fire after reading that.
Maybe Blighty's not so bad after all. It's been freezing today but was working with coat off and sleeves rolled up the other day.
Does the cold noticeably affect the lock time of your guns when you're out in those sub zero temperatures or do you keep your shells in your pockets to warm them ?

Rust never sleeps !
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.