May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Philbert, Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,802
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

I really admire y'all for being tough enough to handle cold like that, Ted. I think you must have to be raised up in it to have the right mindset. I can't even imagine it. I've hunted ducks for days on end in Arkansas when the temps never got above freezing, but sub-zero temps is something else entirely.

Prayers for your safety and comfort.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Although the temps are -32 dg. today where I am, it looks like it will warm up enough this weekend to get some clays in.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is one fine lookin' Setter, Ted. How old is she, and how many seasons on grouse has she seen? You use a bell on the collar when she is afield?? Our weather here in Mid-Michigan reminds me of some of the wintry scenes in the movie "Fargo"-- based in your State, but the title comes from a city in ND-

When I get "holed up" with this inclement type of Winter weather, I watch "Fargo" and "The Shining"-- and then I don't feel so bad.
Stay well, and stay warm.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

She will be five in April. More pheasants than grouse, just the way the chips have fallen. Not much of a retriever just yet, but, I am stubborn. She has found every bird Ive ever killed over her, just not picked them up.
She was deathly ill the first year of her life. We got through it, but, lost much. Long story. Another time.
She is belled when afield. We use a beeper collar, as well. We might head up to the pheasant farm for some pen raised birds, this weekend.

This was our last trip out this year, wearing her finery. Yes, the tip of her tail and a few of her paws were bloodied. She is a hard charger.

Stan, had you been raised here, youd be out there too. Just a different mindset getting out in the cold. I, cant imagine working a bird dog in venomous reptile or alligator territory, the cold seems tame by comparison-if it is going to kill you, you can see it coming from quite a ways, at any rate.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hard those "Poppin Trees" here in southern mid-TN back in 1998. We had an ice storm on Christmas Eve. We were without electricity for 7 days & temps did not get above freezing. We had a gas heater we could run without electricity & cook on a gas stove, which we could manually light so made it pretty well except for Water. I am on a private spring for water & use a shallow well pump to bring it to the house, a distance of around 400 feet but not much lift. I would take a bucket to the spring & lift off the cover & dip drinking & cooking water. To flush the toilets it was closer to go to the creek with a 5-gallon bucket & dip up water. My daughter & Son-in-law had gone to do some last minute Christmas shopping that day & left our 8 months old granddaughter with us. We also had my 78-year-old mother in the house with us. We all survived. My Daughter &SIL lived about 25-30 miles from us & had planned on coming that night to pick up their "Baby", but all the roads were closed, we kept her all week. Every time I stepped out of the house I could hear numerous trees cracking all around when the thaw finally came I was utterly amazed there was a single one left standing. About 100 ft from my house a large & tall Wild Cherry tree had bent over till its top was nearly touching the ground but did not break. Following spring it was loaded with wild cherries as it normally was but I could not get to them to pick them. That year I simply walked out there & stood on the ground & picked a lot of those little cherries. My Wife made some Cherry preserves & it was delicious.

The coldest I can recall here in my area was back in the late 1950s when it got down to -15F one night. That day a man came by who had run off the road & asked me to pull him out with my tractor, a B JD, which I did. I had been having a problem with one of the radiator hoses leaking & had not got it replaced yet so had drained the antifreeze & just put water in for this short task. The problem was when I brought it back into the shed I forgot to drain it. Next morning it hit me & it was frozen solid. We covered it up & put a heat lamp on it & was still 3-4 days before it even began to drip a bit. Absolutely Amazing but it did not crack a single piece of cast iron in the block or anywhere.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To answer the question posed in the title, you start looking to go South like Brian is in his Quail thread. wink
Stay warm, Ted. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

It went to 0 here on Christmas morning back in the early '80s, and down to 5 the next year, but that was waaay out of the norm. I was running a trapline back then and did so that morning, as per usual. I remember well the only critter I had that morning was a huge old boar 'coon.

Miller, not saying that this is the reason the block didn't crack, but I have noticed that steel outside faucets which have stood years of cold/hot extremes don't seem to bust nearly as quickly as a new one, when you forget to leave them dripping. Always figured there was a "seasoning" that takes place in the cast iron/steel, over time and temp extremes. But, I have no proof of that. Maybe the old B had been "seasoned" well.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

You leave your outside faucets dripping ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

When it gets cold enough at night I leave them all dripping. It works down to zero, I can attest. I notice that in ARKANSAS most of the outside faucets are big, freeze proof things. I don't recall ever seeing one here. Several dripping faucets also ensures that the well pump runs often enough all night to prevent the little pipe nipple under the pressure switch from freezing, too.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Netflix and chill.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.