March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (KDGJ, JDH, Jimmy W, BEY, craigd, ChiefAmungum, 1 invisible), 371 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,989
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
I am in 100% agreement with you on the cast iron. In my part of the world though we made JohnnyCakes on a cast iron Griddle & Cornbread in a skillet.
When my Dad & Mom married Dad's mother gave Mom a griddle which had the handle broken off. Mom lived to 93 & never had another griddle. I still have it though my Wife & I found another with the handle intact prior to getting Mom's so we don't use it that much now. These griddles are round with a diameter of 10 inches & a shallow wall around them no more than 3/8" deep. To make the "Hoe Cakes" we pour a ladle of batter on & let it spread to about " thick brown it & flip & brown the other side. Many recipes for these call for only corn meal & water, but we generally use some milk & an egg.
We also make potato cakes from leftover mashed potatoes essentially the same way.

All I have ever known or read on the subject was there were essentially three classes of cornbread based on their thickness. The thinnest was the Johnny or hoecakes, next up was pone bread & then the thickest was Skillet bread.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Where is "here", Replacement?

Today, I am in the wilds of Riverside County, Southern California. The politics suck, but the weather is tolerable. I did not hunt today, but the guys in our blind shot limits of teal and divers. Oh, the horror of it all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like mighty good bird hunting. I doubt if I would really like winter like you have, but then again, you have duck hunting and we have ice. Oh well, it's been a good time to clear the oxbow to hunt next year.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Those temps can sure be really rough on man and machine alike. But they're good for making hard water! I don't usually keep fish, but my buddy felt like he wanted to have a perch and pickerel dinner after a long day on the ice, so we kept a few. I don't have any pictures of his dinner, but the cheddar/pork smoked sausage on the ice was wonderful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good lookin' eats, amigos- The Johnny Cake "debate" recalls a joke-- something to break the grasp of "cabin fever" here in MI I guess- river frozen over, all the resident geese have moved South- so our MI "late bonus" season it Kaput I guess.

Billy comes home from school, at the supper table his father asks him: "Well, son, what did you learn about today?" "Pop, we learned about mathematics-- you know, like Pie Are Square"-- Billy's father thinks for a moment, and says: "Humm- well that can't be right. Any fool knows that Pie Are Round, Johnnycake Are Square!" RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I'm with 2-piper, in Alabama we call them hoe cakes also. Your photo was of good looking cornbread. My mother didn't have a griddle so she cooked hoe cakes in the bottom of the same skillet she cooked corn bread in. Sometimes the children call them fried corn bread, but their mother knows they want hoecakes. We eat them at any meal( they are faster than corn bread), but at breakfast we usually eat them with butter and good thick cane syrup. BTY I like corn bread with my chili also, but a different recipe, and the chili is different too. Chili is like Gumbo, there are as many recipes as cooks, and they are all good.
Mike

Last edited by Der Ami; 01/27/19 10:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I hope you won't mind one more diversion from your original post but the corn bread terminology posts have my memory working overtime. I was raised in a very southern home in the very deep south and we spoke with very deep southern accents using old southern dialogues. We kids were always confused about johnny cake, hoe cakes, pone and corn bread. It seems the definition of each varied buy the age of the speaker and the area you were raised in. What you have prepared would have been a hoe cake of pone. If baked, it would have been corn bread. If fried, it would have been a hoe cake and about one half inch thick. Johnny cakes were made with flour or corn meal (in my generation equal amounts of both) and fried just like a pan cake.

My grand mother died in the 1970's at past 100 years old. Her mother told her johnny cakes were so named because they were a staple fed to Confederate soldiers during the war of Northern Aggression.

The Old South is pretty much dead and gone but some of the customs are worthy of resurrection, such as lynching. It should, however, be reserved for and used only in the most severe cases- such as anyone caught putting sugar in corn bread! Just the thought of it makes my blood boil and my soul scream for revenge!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller,
A skillet like this?

I should have bought stock in the Lodge Co. I have a ton of the stuff. I do not use this one often, and I mostly use it on the charcoal grille for smoking chillis and vegetables that I want grilled. My roots dont extend very far south, and I wouldnt have thought to put corn batter of any type in it, or, fry same.

Cary, if Im in a hurry, Ill use a box of mix. There is corn and wheat flower in my cupboard, and I know how to use them. I do mix about equal parts heated honey and butter, and drizzle it on cornbread. Bad habit, I guess, but, I like cream in my coffee, also.

I havent ice fished in years, but, have my doctorate in same. We wouldnt keep a northern unless he was big enough to allow for easy removal of the Y bones, or we were going to pickle them in Silver Satin wine.

Perch might be the best fish swimming.

Have to run the dog and visit my disabled Mom and Brother, today.

It is still cold.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always appreciate the members here taking the time to open their front door and invite us in- thanks Ted. I shoulda known there would be a difference of opinion on the proper label for cornbread, primarily based on its thickness it would seem. That's not a staple where I hail from, but I always learn something here, and I wish I had one percent of the knowledge Miller has.

It does remind me of an experience a couple decades ago when my son and I were on our second pheasant hunt together. We had settled in at a small wobbly table in the only diner in a one stoplight town in SW Kansas. Two locals in overalls were nursing an always full cup of jet black motor oil, politely but firmly entrenched in their disagreement on the low temperature for that morning. It was a difference of one degree. I noticed that my son was also listening to the debate, as each contestant presented his case, wholly assured of its veracity and validity. Then one of them pulled out his ace in the hole, an empirical trump card to force his friend to fold:

"Clem, you know the official town temperature is taken from the thermometer on the old silo on Main, and it read 18 degrees." He settled back almost imperceptibly in his chair, a slight grin starting to escape from one corner of his mouth.

Clem stared impassively as his cup was brought from "add" to "full." Without looking up, he replied in a cold monotone, "True enough, Joe- but that thermometer is 65 feet off the ground." I turned to see an eye squeezing smile covering my son's face.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one Mike!!

And, BTW, pickled pickerel in 1" cubes are fantastic! And the pickling dissolves any and all bones.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.