May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, earlyriser, Wild Skies, Dan R, L. Brown, 1 invisible), 320 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,924
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought seriously of "multi-use" for birds and game and decided one or the other afield 50 years ago. I have one rifle/smooth in aircraft survival kit, the right place for me. RWTF is right on: .22s for squirrels are a great start for hunting, still or running. When we were kids it made no difference.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan yes and I do. The more I snip off the poorer they hide me and my dog and boat. And of course pushing the boat in concentrates the stems along the gunnels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If memory is correct in the fall squirrel season of 1964 I was introduced to Standard Velocity .22 LRs. Prior to that, I had not even known they existed. After trying them I never looked back & have shot almost nothing since. The Squirrels simply do not pay as much attention to one of them going off as they do to the Sonic Crack of a Hi-Vel .22 LR. Never found them lacking in killing power if one shoots straight. Once rolled over two young groundhogs with one shot, I thought I was shooting at one didn't see the one behind him. Also knocked out a few coons which showed before dark while squirrel hunting with them.

I was never a really good pistol shot but did kill some squirrels with a Roger Mark 1 as well as a groundhog or so with it. The problem there was simply one of shoot-ability.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halk
Stan yes and I do. The more I snip off the poorer they hide me and my dog and boat. And of course pushing the boat in concentrates the stems along the gunnels.

And, I thought I hunted in some bad stuff. But, if there's any way possible I get out of the boat, hide it a ways off, and slip back to the hole in waders. Can't always, I know how it is.

Can't say I ever shot behind one because I was pushing brush out of the way with my barrels, tho'. Hang in there, halk.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper, have you ever tried subsonics? The high grade subsonic hollow points are more accurate and quieter than the standard velocity ammo, in my experience. Just as deadly but less meat damage should you miss the head shot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
2-piper, have you ever tried subsonics? The high grade subsonic hollow points are more accurate and quieter than the standard velocity ammo, in my experience. Just as deadly but less meat damage should you miss the head shot.

I always used .22 shorts, for the same reason. My rifle, a 552 Remington, with a K4 on it, was THE squirrrel rifle in my group of buddies, and would cycle garage sale .22 short, long, and long rifle interchangeably. The Marlins, Winchesters and whatnot all demanded LR ammunition.

My 552 autoloader is about as accurate as my 581 bolt action, and that is actually saying something.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: halk

And, I thought I hunted in some bad stuff. But, if there's any way possible I get out of the boat, hide it a ways off, and slip back to the hole in waders. Can't always, I know how it is.

Can't say I ever shot behind one because I was pushing brush out of the way with my barrels, tho'. Hang in there, halk.

SRH

Stan, I suspect halk hunts waterfowl in similar conditions and temps as I do. You arent standing in waders in water for very long when there is ice forming where the reeds meet the water. If you cant find something to stand on, you have to use the boat.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
When I was doing most of my Squirrel hunting I was shooting a Mossberg, 144MC as I recall, with a 7 shot detachable magazine. (Most incorrectly call these Clips). It had a spacer rod you could screw in the bottom of the magazine to block it off for shorts. I bought one brick of short hollowpoints & tried them. It was a Tack Driver with the Standard Vel LR but shot about a 40% pattern in the 30" circle with shorts. Was a lot more economical to stay with the LRs than acquire another gun which might not shoot right either. If I had been serious into groundhogs & such larger critters I likely would have gone with high-speed hollow points, but for the squirrel, I just stayed with regular standard velocity solids. Neither killing power nor meat destruction was ever a problem with them. When I started a had an economical source for CIL (Canuck) brand which I used for quite a while. As this rifle did not have a dovetailed receiver I machined a dovetail rail out of aluminum & anodized it black, using a car battery & Rit Dye. Mounted a Bushnell 3x7 .22 scope with a 7/8" tube. After I used it a bit I set it to 5 power & never moved it again. The 5 power setting gave it a large enough exit pupil it was bright right up to dark. I went to work early in the mornings so did a lot of my hunting in the afternoons.

At that point the "Target" loads were about 3*times as expensive, "Perhaps" they would have shrunk my group size by " but it just wasn't worth the expense. I got the CILs from a gentleman I worked with who coached a junior rifle league & he would let me have all I wanted at cost. I would probably have to have driven at least 50-75 miles to have even found a dealer who stocked the standards at that time, much less the higher quality stuff.

Later I did find a dealer who ran a Country Gunshop who kept a good supply of both types, but I had done so well with the regular stuff I just stayed with it, shot mostly Win T22s after that.

Those 552s were nice rifles incidentally, in fact, I don't think I ever shot an older Remington .22 from their lowly Single shots on up that didn't shoot way above what their price would reflect.

I had taken that old Mossberg in on a trade for something in my younger & less intelligent days & soon found the only way to recoup my investment was to shoot it out of it, which I did. I could not in any way badmouth its shoot-ability as long as I stuck with the LRs.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an 1890 Winchester growing up that shot only shorts and it was great with them. But when it had to be relined, I changed it to long rifle and use subsonics.

I have many squirrel rifles but my favorite is a very tricked out 1885 Winchester which usually has a 4x Unertl SG scope on it, though it might be equipped with an MVA tang sight instead.

In any event, discovering high quality subsonics (I prefer Eley), has been a game changer in so many ways.
Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD, since you are such an expert on most everything, do you still think that golden retrievers are more dangerous than coyotes?

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Second, many hunters have a rather ignorant idea of what a coyote represents. They see them only as threats and competition which then justifiy their being targets of opportunity. Both of these justifications are pretty weak. Golden retrievers are more dangerous than that coyote and yet, had that coyote been a golden instead, I doubt anyone would have shot. anyone that finds coyotes a threat to raising puppies or chickens or children probably should have none of the above if they can't figure out how to avoid that problem. So the threat issue does not wash.

Brent

Pets, children, or chickens must never be permitted to be outside in your yard... according to BrentD, well known expert on most everything.

Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.