May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, arrieta2, Steve Nash, Ithaca5E, Argo44, 1 invisible), 276 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,030
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huumm-guess I learned the car business from my late Grandpa Herman Waid- He sold used Cadillacs, after Packard "folded their tent" about mid-1950's-- He always had a clean used low mileage Caddy to drive for his personal use- nice fringe benefit.

He taught me to always buy a one-owner used car from a reputable dealer, who had all the service records, and keep it up and drive it until it became a high mileage vehicle, then trade again. He said: "Let the other buyer take that 30% first year depreciation"

My father dealt with an Oldsmobile dealer, and managed to get a used "Factory officials car- low mileage, and about 1/2 of sticker price-- His favorite saying was: "When the Olds plant manager's car gets a full ashtray, GM gives him another new one, and somebody with the proper connections gets the good deal.

My first car was a 1952 Chevy Bel-Air coupe- 3 on the tree tranny, 216 Blue Flame 6 --had 170,000 on the odometer, ran like a Rolex, belong to our family Doctor (he made his house calls with it) I paid $250 cash for it- drove it for 7 more years--

Now-a-days I drive Ford Ranger trucks (hear they are making a comeback0 I'm on my 5th one- all the previous Rangers went over 200,000 miles without a problem, given normal oil changes, serp belts, plugs, etc.. Even if I won the Powerball, I wouldn't go into a BMW dealership,pick one out after a test drive, and write a big check- ain't my style.. Foxie

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/21/19 09:35 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

People like what they like.
Driving old cars deprives you of all the advanced safety systems that have been brought to market.
As an older driver you may give some consideration to that.
Protect the other guy and yourself.

Huge advances have come to market in the safety arena.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

It comforts me that all the DoubleGun shooting F150 drivers I see are financing their trucks for 7 years on avg. It means job security.

For you or them? You a repo man?
Comforts #metoo. Love that 7% yield on F. Keep buyin’ them!

(I get kinda bored when the market is closed. It’s money that matters, do you hear what I say? It’s money that matters, in the USA.)

We are peaking in the automotive world.

Not sure what you mean here. Sales wise? Automotive world may just be starting anew with electric and self driving.

The NAIAS...

Never fails. Blizzard always hits right when it starts.

Should have got her one of these instead
https://youtu.be/cS06eprlj2I

Last edited by lonesome roads; 01/21/19 10:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

On the 7 years, it says a few things.
One, is it represents consumer confidence, and their willingness to spend more money over a longer period of time.

It also means that the market expectation is that cars will last longer, in a much higher condition, than they have previously, so people are willing to pay for them over a longer period of time. So it represents an increase in value.

On peaking, well the market is only so big. So, there are peaks and valleys, just like the economic expansion can only go on for so long, so too for new car sales.

Until electrics can crack 300 miles range, they’ll be loser’s.
The Acura NSX hybrid I just drove had AWD and launch control. Fantastic!
And, it was a real useable car. That’s how to use batteries.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point-- I meant "My personal vehicle-- Not my wife's 2016 low Mileage Chrysler Grand Caravan-- back up TV screen that kicks in when in Reverse, Cruise, heated seats and steering wheel- Sirius radio, Lo-Jack-- Bought it for her this past summer (2018) with 21,000 miles- was a factory lease car-- and she loves the color- More safety features than you can "shake a stick at"

But for me, mainly driving downtown for coffee, or the banking details, and area farms for shooting/hunting trips the Ranger trucks are ideal- Mine is a 2009- 5 speed stick, bigger 4-cyl. engine- has, cruise, tilt wheel, A/C- seat belts- and I just had the factory recall done on the air bags--

I have been driving over 60 years- No tickets ever, no accidents or even a "fender bender" and I have 20/15 vision, so no "Prince Phillip" issues, albiet he has 20 years more "On the road", even if he drives on the wrong side of it at times.

My former hunting pals, all gone now- always got me to ask the permission from a farmer to hunt his lands-- Tell you what- two possible scenarios here, you pick: (1) You drive into his muddy driveway in an immaculate Rang Rover- dressed the like lads in the David Carrie shooting videos-- and knock on the door-- (2) You drive into his muddy driveway, well-used but still running Ford or Chevy Pick-up, muddy boots, well-worn Carhartt bibs, a "feed and seed" cap on your head-- and if you don't see anybody outside- first you holler- "Anybody Home here?"-- If you don't get a reply, you tap on the door, and step back a few paces, and chances are good the Lady of the house will answer your knock. Most farms I have permission on have cats and dogs in the area- when their dog comes over, you stand still, then maybe slowly kneel down, and speak to the animal in a low, calm voice--

90% of the farmers where I hunt and shoot have livestock- By doing this, you are showing that you care for animals- and are not going to shoot their prized livestock during the deer season.

My Granddad taught me the same lesson that Southern writer John Grisham detailed (tacitly) in his great novel: "Runaway Jury"--about how you dress to fit the "territory", whether a defense lawyer in a court of Law- or a honest guy asking for permission to hunt. RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 01/21/19 11:08 AM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

No one wants to admit they are getting old.
We all are.
That’s why the state puts hurdles in front of license renewals.
Accident avoidance works in the background and never gets distracted.

Prince Phillip is the poster child for pulling a license.

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the 7 years, it says a few things.
One, is it represents consumer confidence, and their willingness to spend more money over a longer period of time.

It also means that the market expectation is that cars will last longer, in a much higher condition, than they have previously, so people are willing to pay for them over a longer period of time. So it represents an increase in value.

Or amnesia about 07 08 and 09.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox

90% of the farmers where I hunt and shoot have livestock- By doing this, you are showing that you care for animals- and are not going to shoot their prized livestock during the deer season.

Up in Buford Pusser country I heard about this fellow that had cows and would not let anyone deer hunt...

One day I saw him outside...pulled in and asked him could I deer hunt.
His reply was "I got cows and I don't let anyone hunt because I'm scared they might shoot one of my cows"

I quickly replied...."If I was wanting to shoot one of your cows I don't guess I'd need to stop and ask your permission"

"Your right you go ahead and hunt".

Sidelock
Sidelock

....The Acura NSX hybrid I just drove had AWD and launch control. Fantastic!
And, it was a real useable car. That’s how to use batteries.

By completely random chance, I ended up in an old loaner truck on a longish trip. It had been 'rebuilt' with all the odds and ends under the hood deleted. I ended up under the thing a few times jiggling electric connectors, but it kept going. Finally, the alternator died, in a small town on a Sunday, but a block or two from a place I could buy a battery.

The charge on it got me about an hour and a half down the road, a road without decent cell reception, but known to have some decent hunting near it. Just one weekend, but boy am I glad I wasn't in a hybrid, and easily my best story on how to use a battery. That fancy hybrid may have been usable, but mostly around the country club or ski lodge, eh?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well, younger brother is a mechanical engineering professor with patents in the fuel cell world. Basically batteries have reached their maximum potential. If we're to go electric in cars in massive amounts (and there is no free lunch - you have to charge the things so somebody somewhere has to generate the current), fuel cells probably will have to be taken a look at again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.