May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Hammergun, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,661
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, that duck looks far better than the one featured in A Christmas Story served at the Chinese Restaurant. Regards, Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,
The duck was most excellent. A quartered lemon went inside, garlic salt and pepper were sprinkled in and out. About 2 hours, with a small recharge of lump charcoal, I started with Sams Club briquettes. 1 Cup of damp wood chips about evenly divided between hickory and pecan, at the beginning, not because of any secret taste from that combo, it was simply what I had a cup of.
Might have to check if the sausage guy has anymore of them.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

. Paella with pheasant and deer sausage

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK Run. I hunt big lakes for divers with rowboat. Seldom field hunt for waterfowl.

Waxing is my preferred way of removing down and pinfeathers after birds are rough plucked and wings and feet removed. use the head for dipping in hot water with melted stripping wax on top. That is how poultry is made so clean for the market. The wax is usually sold as 'turkey stripping wax" and comes in big blocks. When you get it right all the wax comes off in just a few pieces and goes right back into the kettle. I use a big one that will wax a whole swan or goose.

The synsacrum is the plate of fused ribs at the rear of the vertebral column. I twist it off when I clean ducks as described earlier.

I note that canvasbacks sold for ten times the price of mallards in the market hunting days. I'm sort of like you with geese. I cut breasts into finger size pieces, bread, and bake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Night time. Check. 15 degrees. Check. Nice, Smokey hickory fire in the grille. Check.

A nice chunk of salmon, hanging out in the smoke:

A plate fit for a King. Or, me:

Alexandras own mix of wild and medium grain rice, cooked in chicken stock, steamed vegetables, fried plantain (the chick is Colombian, after all) and smoked salmon.
Fish by me. We cook almost all of our meals to order, every night.

Best,
Ted

Hal #532772 01/02/19 09:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halk
Disagree with Run with the Fox. Give me my fat canvasbacks and redheads roasted low and slow ......

Never ate a canvasback, neither a redhead. But, have had mallard, gadwall, woodies, teal, etc. Any duck that beats teal or acorn or corn fed woodies has got to go some. Just sayin'.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that wild rice, Ted? One of my favorite vegetables (and it is a veggie, not a grain). My wife makes an amazing wild-rice salad...almost a nutty flavor.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
Is that wild rice, Ted? One of my favorite vegetables (and it is a veggie, not a grain). My wife makes an amazing wild-rice salad...almost a nutty flavor.

I think wild rice is actually a member of the grass family. This is local stuff, bought in bulk from one of the tribes, guessing the Red Lake Band, since, that is where I got it. It isnt labeled.
Wild rice is a very labor intensive food to produce. I have friends that harvest it locally, it involves two people in a canoe, and, mosquitoes.

My wife ate medium grain rice almost daily in her previous life. Ive introduced her to wild rice, potatos, and grilled food. Probably some other stuff, too, but it escapes me at the moment.

She took to it like a baby duck to water.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I think "wild" rice cultivation has advanced quite a bit. The two-in-a-canoe is probably a thing of the past given it's availability in every grocery store on the planet.

Being from Minnesota, I grew up with it (it was much more expensive then) and acquired the taste. I prefer not to mix it with white rice however.

I think you are right about it being not a rice but something else.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two in a canoe thing is if you want to do it yourself. You can actually do that here.

Like, hunting. It also requires a license.

My wife didnt grow up with it (I did) and I like it both ways. But, I like it best when she cooks it, and, she mixes it with white rice.

I pick my battles very carefully.

Best,
Ted

Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.