May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (btbell, 2 invisible), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,548
Posts546,190
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can use Plaster of Paris to aid in the filling of grain pores. It works quite well and speeds up the filling process.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recall needing a filler for a divot on a stock. I didn't have any wood putty and never liked the stuff anyway. I took a spare stock blank of similar color and sanded up some dust and mixed with superglue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I try that it comes out really dark. Am I doing something wrong?

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found that super glue doesn't take finish well. The plaster route has worked for me or make some saw dust, mix with finish and paste up the area and sand down.

W. E. Boyd
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Milt,
Same here. If it's in an area of marbling that won't stand out, this works. If you need lighter color, you may have to graft a tiny piece of wood into the stock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use PCO as my go to finish. You are not on the wrong track. Put three coats on. Level sand....dry. You are not trying to sand to wood. Just leveling out the highs and lows of the finsih. When the pores disappear you are ready to put on the top coats.

I use 320 to level sand. You are correct that 600 doesn't give enough "slurry" for filling pores. Since you are at that 600 level now. Going backward is counter productive. One may use the finish to build and fill pores. You just have to be patient. The can says 6 hour dry time between coats. I prefer a little longer. After 3 coats, I will let the finish set 24 hours before I level sand. I suggest you tape off your checkering. It will save you hours of labor later on.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used rottenstone to fill pores. Worked very well, but I doubt I will ever do it again. I just use oil. Eventually, it shrinks and has to be redone, but I am not the "one last coat forever" school of gun finishing.

The ditty that ends, "... and once a year for life." is closer to my mantra.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
Not a fun job. I used to have a 3/8" plug cutter with matching drill point bit that would work but the plug cutter had trouble cutting anything harder than pine. I have found yellow builders glue (aliphatic? whatever that means) to leave the least trace.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
I have used rottenstone to fill pores.

Sounds like a plan devised by TeddybOy....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used plaster as well as rottenstone. I like rottenstone for the final buffing out the shine to a nice warm matte glow. But the plaster fills the pores and is relatively speaking, invisible with oil. I want to say this recommendation came from one of our English brothers on the board and it has served me well. It's cheap, why not give it a try if you're having issues filling?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.