March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, steve voss), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im always in favor of alterations which can easily be reversed. Id buy an extra choke tube and alter it .003-.005 on one side. Pattern it then take more until you had what you need. You would of course need to mark the tube so it went into your gun the exact same way every time and was not over tightened or your alterations would change you correction in a different area depending on where it ended up when screwed in. Like 9:00 one time and 11:00 or 7:00 which would drive your results batty.

For that matter start switching tubes and checking them all to see where the hit. It might just be the he modified or could just be the one barrel. Rule out simple to things first. Bad tubes, over tightened, out of round. That type thing.

jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago a friend bought a used Weatherby 20 gauge o/u. He found that he could not hit targets consistently with the gun and off to the pattern board we went. His first shot was far left as was the second. I told him that he was jerking the gun and that was the cause of the left leaning pattern. He shot again with the same result and then said you try it. When I shot the gun the pattern was even further to the left. He ended up sending the gun to Weatherby and after several months of waiting it was returned, appropriately regulated. I was amazed at the quality of service he received on a relatively inexpensive used gun.

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's because Wheatherby has a name and a reputation to uphold.

F.A.I.R is a corporation....a conglomerate of people that don't give a damn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I realize I am coming into this discussion late, but I think my experience might be relative. At one time I wanted to open the fixed choke on my inexpensive single shot Savage 20 break open. So I called Brownells and tried to order a choke reamer. The salesman on the phone talked me out of it saying I could accomplish the same thing with a half inch dowel rod wrapped in wet or dry sandpaper. Took me a while and quite a few trial shots but I got it where I wanted it. Then my buddy, who has similar Savage told me his gun shoot the pattern to right of center, about 8 to 10 inches at 15 yards. Once again the dowel rod and sand paper were employed, only to the left side of the muzzle only. After a few trial and error sand-and-shoot sessions, we were able to move the left edge of the pattern.

Luckily for us both, those inexpensive guns do not have chrome lined bores.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I somehow seem forced to respond, but do NOT recommend what I am about to say.

When living in Alaska I had a shooting and hunting friend who really loved German Guns. He was a fanatic about patterning and could not keep his hands off of a muzzle to "work" on.

He used a Dremel tool on many of his nice guns. The patterns did change, but I think some of his mistakes would shoot an "L" shaped pattern. The moral is, you can drastically change the pattern and impact center by screwing with the muzzle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be interesting to know at what range the patterns converge.

If this shotgun had shot 4" right and 4" left, there never would have been any discussion.
What if the left barrel is actually the "true" one?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Milt,
I say this with utmost respect, but, you need to set down with some accurate measuring tools, all the chokes for the gun, and enough paper and a few different loads to find out what is happening with POI.
You have almost admitted you really havent done enough work with the limits on your time to find out exactly what the problem is. It could be one of several things, or, a few things combined.
Id be willing to bet that as a choke tube gun, you can find out how to make it shoot better for you. It might just be a bad tube, or, a bad installation of that tube. I have a few guns that dont pattern certain loads well. I have had more problems with 20 gauge guns and loads than any others. But, one of my 20s might throw the best patterns of all my guns.
I think you are still a little ways off from declaring the gun or its builders no good.
You have some homework to do. It might also involve a good barrel man.
I wish you the best of luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Im always in favor of alterations which can easily be reversed. Id buy an extra choke tube and alter it .003-.005 on one side. Pattern it then take more until you had what you need. You would of course need to mark the tube so it went into your gun the exact same way every time and was not over tightened or your alterations would change you correction in a different area depending on where it ended up when screwed in. Like 9:00 one time and 11:00 or 7:00 which would drive your results batty.

For that matter start switching tubes and checking them all to see where the hit. It might just be the he modified or could just be the one barrel. Rule out simple to things first. Bad tubes, over tightened, out of round. That type thing.

Jon,
Based on my little experience with moving the pattern with muzzle work, I don't think .003-.005 would make a notable difference in this case. My thought is some number like .015-.025" is more likely required for this situation.

builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

CZ,
I am sure I can adjust the stock however 4" at 16 yards is not OK in my book. As Stan says, it needs to shoot exactly where I am looking. No matter how you shake it, the barrels are *" apart at 16 yards. I tried 35 yards and it did seem to be further however I needed tighter chokes to make sense of it. I had left them home.

So many guns, so little time!
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl,
It uses Vernona LX chokes and I need to see if I can find them. I have a Rizzini O/U with the same choke tubes however the O/U uses extended chokes. If Coosa's method works then there is plenty of thickness to bevel but I would wind up with an odd looking gun. On the other hand it extends the barrels to almost 32".

So many guns, so little time!
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.