March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On Nov 14, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Milton Fxxxxxx <Milt@Fxxxxxxx.net> wrote:
Dear James,

As you suggested I am attaching a photo of the FAIR Iside SxS to make it easier to identify it. I purchased it new in box with all paperwork on 10/23/18 from xxxxxxxx.

Specs:

12g
30 barrels
Serial number 288755
Imported by IFG NA LLC, Amarillo, TX on the barrel
76mm, 3 chambers

Ammo: Herters Low recoil

IC choke tube in the right barrel
Mod choke tube in the left barrel
Both tight

I patterned the Iside at 16 yards on a steel pattern plate, 42 x 42 using white Lithium grease on the plate.
The right barrel printed true to aim. The IC pattern was centered both vertically and horizontally.
The left barrel with your modified choke tube printed true vertically however centered about 8 to the left of center.

I love the handling characteristics of the gun and I love that I can change choke tubes to fit the situation since I shoot mostly older SxS guns.

I would appreciate your help in resolving this issue.

Mr. Fxxxxxxx,

We sent your info and pics to FAIR and they informed us that the pattern produced by your gun is within factory specs.
Sent from my iPhone

So many guns, so little time!
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This should give you an idea how they stand behind their quality. This is a brand new in box gun. It would be funny if it was not so sad.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't shot my Iside .410 yet. First chance, it will be shot on the pattern plate to check regulation. This is always my biggest fear in buying S x S guns. It is also a problem with O/Us, but not as often it seems.

FWIW, 8" is the allowance that Beretta cites for regulation as well. I think it is ridiculous, myself, that any gun manufacturer will allow that much error in building. Eight inches at 16 yards is awful.

Sorry you had this misfortune, Milt. I know how disappointing it is.

SRH

Edit: Just had a thought , Milt. Try all the other choke tubes in the left barrel to see if maybe, by chance, it is a bad tube that is causing this. If the others also print way left, you'll know for certain it's the barrels.

Last edited by Stan; 11/18/18 08:01 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Builder,
Just a thought, but could the choke tube be at fault. I would conform it by trying another choke tube.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Milt,
take a straight-edge and lay it along the forward most portion of the left barrel where the tube is of constant diameter. You should be able to see if it is straight or bowed inward along its length. If straight, the issue is the boring of the threads for the choke tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If so what is the solution ?

None.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd try another choke tube also but I'm betting it won't solve the problem.

You'd think they'd want to see the gun and if it's off they should replace the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eccentric choke tubes can be made to correct this type of problem but at a fairly steep unnecessary cost on a new gun. You dont expect the need to fix things on a new gun like chokes bored wrong or barrels not regulated well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel regulation isn't included in the price of junk guns.

I might add that all the vintage English SxS's that I've owned had perfectly regulated barrels.

When aimed like a rifle off a rest all the O/U'rs I've patterned all shot at least a 1/2 pattern low with the bottom barrel at 40 yards...a few worse.

The two 1960 vintage Winchester 101's I own a 12 and a 20 are spot on at 40 yards.

When Beretta or Browning is confronted about it you hear the same song and dance as you heard.

Manufacturers know that very few people that will go to the length of testing point of impact on their guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Eccentric choke tubes can be made to correct this type of problem but at a fairly steep unnecessary cost on a new gun. You dont expect the need to fix things on a new gun like chokes bored wrong or barrels not regulated well.

I've heard all that but it's never worked out in real life for me....in my experience it's just been a waste of money.

Best to sell and take a loss...or shoot it and forget about it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.