March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, canvasback, SKB, Ted Schefelbein), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

70 is too young to give it up. My great grandfather was still having kids at that age with his second wife. She was 35 years his junior. They kids did age him though. He died at 109. I was told he still went duck hunting up into his 80's.

It is all about how well you get around and how you feel about hunting. I took my father dove hunting for the last time at 90. Now six years later he has no interest in hunting at all. Still fairly mobile I would gladly take him again if he changes his mind. Age is a number it is all about how you feel and what level of activity you can handle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot clays and hunted with men 70+ and had no worries and also been at clay shoots with much younger and older people that I wouldn't want to be around again. If you follow safe practices and don't worry about your score on either game or clays you will be fine.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Geo,
Hopefully, you have some opportunities to hunt that dont involve running with the youngsters. It is common on pheasant and deer hunts in this part of the world for the oldsters to block the ends of driven fields, taking what comes out before the people pushing it. This give guys an opportunity to avoid being dedicated camp cook for a few more years, if nothing else.
I would tell you bravo on having a clear mental picture on what you are, and are not up to at the moment. Perhaps you will see some improvement that allows more participation, but, participating in some is better than none.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am 70 and was out in my canoe and on shore for a duck hunt this morning.

BUT I am extremely careful and not near as agile as I once was.

You are wise to protect yourself and others in proper decorum.

I find that I am hunting in smaller and smaller parties of folks and am now down to me and at most two others, in that way we can insure safety of all

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

A few years ago, on a cold snowy afternoon in January, during our late flintlock deer season, I happened upon an interesting scene. I was still hunting and came to the edge of the woods where a small overgrown field dropped down toward a small wooded creek bottom. Out in the field, overlooking the creek bottom was an old man in a folding lawn chair. He had hunting clothes on, and was cradling his rifle. An old wool Army blanket was partially wrapped around him. I'd say he had to be in his mid 80's or older, and he seemed to be napping. Four wheeler tracks in the snow showed that he was transported there, and left to his hunting. I'm quite sure no one forced him to be out there, but given the opportunity, he made the effort to get dressed and go and sit for hours in the cold, snow, and wind. I assume his son was probably not far away, and would come to do any gutting or dragging if the old guy happened to shoot a deer.

He never knew I was there, and I slipped back into the woods, changed direction and circled toward the other side of the hollow, hoping I might push a bedded deer toward him. I thought it was really cool that he still wanted to be out there, and if I could choose the time and place where I am when my life comes to an end, it would be doing just as that old guy was doing.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: 67galaxie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
one Tennessee Red lit in an oak tree over the Polaris while the others were out on a round. I got off the wagon and shot him.

So what do you think?...Geo

I don't think you should go out with a quail shot off a limb....

jOe, that bird was in the air and all I can tell you was he did not have a foot on the ground. No ground sluicing! And I ain't 'going out'! I just ain't messing with group shooting kick-em-up quail anymore...Geo

You said he "lit"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
Thanks for sharing that great story. It's nice to imagine doing what we love when our expiration date comes. I hate to think of giving it up when the time comes due to age, but we have to know our limitations. I want to make the right choice if that happens.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend of mine killed his nice buck for the year, last week. He is 93.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad was in his 80's when the doctor said he shouldn't be shooting guns with oxygen on. He was still golfing, he just got a longer tube for his oxygen when he had to keep it on to hit the ball.

I'm 72 and am looking at getting a motorcycle for back country coyote hunting as I don't spend enough time on the bicycle to ride it very far on back country trails anymore.

Like I say retirement is great, the only draw back is you have to be old to do it. I did take a number of years out in mid-life and spent them hunting, fishing and trapping. When fur prices dropped I went back to work to make a grubstake for retirement. I've been retired 10 yrs and love every minute of it, just wish I had the body I had 30 years ago.

I'm pretty sure I'll know when it is time to hang it up.

Last edited by oskar; 11/16/18 08:47 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy I inherited my blind from shot ducks there on his 93rd birthday.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.