April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Hugh Lomas, LeeS, earlyriser, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 873 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,114
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 52 1 2 48 49 50 51 52
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
....started this political thread and used it to make false accusations of members who don't agree with him....

Naw, the only folks that respond here just want to share their agenda, eh?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Funny you should mention Koolaid Craig....

Yup, I know, it's more common than one would think. Hey did you hear, the administration is going to start cloning misogynists, yup right here in the US. The consumer ones will come pouring in after your dems take over again, you know, to boost the economy like at your health mills.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
...... Speaking of health care and Canadians. Our dairy farmers were not the only winners. Pharmaceutical companies did very well with our Administration pressuring both Canada and Mexico to increase the amount of time a drug remains under patent protection keeping generics off the market longer and increasing costs to consumers. Canada went from 8 to 10 years and Mexico went from 5 to 10 years. The Administration pushed hard for 12 years patent protection but settled at 10 years. Some winners for sure but not the consumer in this cases.

There is more than meets the eye. Although there will be a greater cost to Canadian drug plans and by extension patients, the real story is that the quality of generics are being disputed by physicians as being less effective than their brand name. After all the regulators do not scrutinize quality criteria of generics in the same way as brand name.

In addition, generics are more expensive here than in the US where competition is more fierce. Generics in Canada are taking advantage of the softer patent holds than many other countries. Given the current circumstances, the newest developed (cancer) drugs are hesitant in filing with Health Canada because of the softer protection time to recoup their costs.

As a Canadian, I am quite happy with this change.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not my Dems Craig...that is the part you continue to miss. I care about the policy not the party.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I buy the generic version when given a choice. I would rather have the option. I can always buy the name brand if I wish. Competition drives prices down. Better to have more choices to me. The pharmaceutical industry certainly has more going on than meets the eye. When I see Gilead selling Sofosbuvir for 84,000$ here in the US, and 900$ in Egypt I think we need more Generic options on the US market.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/resource-c...the-years-ahead

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
the real story is that the quality of generics are being disputed by physicians as being less effective than their brand name.

It's not necessarily a QC issue with generics. Although the active ingredients in generics may be the same as those in the patented drugs, the inert ingredients are usually different (i.e., cheaper), and that can cause the drug's performance to vary from the original, for some patients but not for all. Try the generics and if they work, great. If there are issues, there are alternatives.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My brother, retired oil-rig chief engineer, went to his Cuban doctor in a rural area of the province. He prescribed a $5 generic drug, replacing the brand name his deceased doctor had prescribed. "You don't need the $30 one," he said, "this is just as good." There's considerable cross-border trade for drugs in Canada.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
My brother, retired oil-rig chief engineer, went to his Cuban doctor in a rural area of the province. He prescribed a $5 generic drug, replacing the brand name his deceased doctor had prescribed. "You don't need the $30 one," he said, "this is just as good." There's considerable cross-border trade for drugs in Canada.

What is your point?? And what does your brother being a retired oil rig chief engineer have to do with your story??? Is his job of some significance here? Ive noticed over the years that you absolutely love either name dropping or adding a title to that persons name as if it increases the odds of people believing you.
You think a doctor or a pharmacist do things different here in the USA? Doctors prescribe drugs all the time, they usually prescribe it using the drugs generic or chemical name, here in the USA, most pharmacist and insurance companies give the pt the option to use or purchase a brand name or generic. Dr. prescribes a 800mg ibuprofen, when you go to the pharmacist, your most likely getting the generic, not brand name Advil.
Drugs are expensive, they are expensive to research, develop, test, and it takes years. Patent protection is used so the company has a chance to make a profit and recoup all of their expenses accrued during the drugs development. Nothing wrong with that. I like good Gunsmith work, its expensive as hell and thats bullshit, I want all of the Gunsmiths to lower their prices by 65% and get on the same page and be reasonable. I want Bertram to charge me the same price to restore my gun as bubbas garage general gun repair would charge me. Sound good?

Last edited by LeFusil; 10/13/18 12:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the key point is having the option. The problem is when the generics are a barrier to entrance to the name brand. The same can be said in the area of diagnostic testing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: VictoryXC
Stan,
...... Speaking of health care and Canadians. Our dairy farmers were not the only winners. Pharmaceutical companies did very well with our Administration pressuring both Canada and Mexico to increase the amount of time a drug remains under patent protection keeping generics off the market longer and increasing costs to consumers. Canada went from 8 to 10 years and Mexico went from 5 to 10 years. The Administration pushed hard for 12 years patent protection but settled at 10 years. Some winners for sure but not the consumer in this cases.

There is more than meets the eye. Although there will be a greater cost to Canadian drug plans and by extension patients, the real story is that the quality of generics are being disputed by physicians as being less effective than their brand name. After all the regulators do not scrutinize quality criteria of generics in the same way as brand name.

In addition, generics are more expensive here than in the US where competition is more fierce. Generics in Canada are taking advantage of the softer patent holds than many other countries. Given the current circumstances, the newest developed (cancer) drugs are hesitant in filing with Health Canada because of the softer protection time to recoup their costs.

As a Canadian, I am quite happy with this change.

No fair Patrick. You work in the industry. You actually know what you are talking about. Thats like cheating when the rest of us are just shooting from the hip. Making generics available later just HAS to be bad for consumers. Please repeat the Canadian mantra......socialized medicine at any cost. Profit bad, single payer, no accountability good.

Last edited by canvasback; 10/13/18 02:32 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 50 of 52 1 2 48 49 50 51 52

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.