April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ducks Rx, buckstix, barrel browner, cpa, ClapperZapper, AaronN), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,206
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

ALL my doubling issues have been with two trigger guns...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

ALL of mine were with shotguns.......

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had an equal number of doubling issues in shotguns with one trigger, and with two. I've had it with hammerguns, and with hammerless. Single trigger guns still have a separate lock for each barrel, and each lock is subject to problems.

A bad sear/hammer/tumbler engagement is not limited to one trigger type.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first double was an old J Stevens Arms & Tool Co 12 gauge. It was a 2-trigger gun & doubled on me once when I pulled the back trigger first. An investigation revealed the holes through the sears for the axle were worn & the sears could rock a bit. The left sear sat just a bit lower than the right one so if they happened to get together & the back trigger was pulled it would lift both sears. There was space between the sear bodies so I put a small coil spring around the axle to keep the sears pushed apart & it never doubled again as long as I had it.

There are enough different possibilities as to the cause that a Hands-On diagnosis is essential for proper diagnosis. In the case of my old J Stevens as long as the right trigger was pulled first it was not truly a safety issue, more of an inconvenience. "IF" it is from a worn sear tip or bent in the tumbler this is a definite safety hazard. Pulling the other trigger first is not the answer in this case as any abnormal Jar could set it off, & it might not have to be all that abnormal. It should definitely be tended to.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I dropped It off at the smith on Friday. I could make it to fire by snapping the barrel closed. Shooting the right barrel first so it doesnt happen isnt my idea of safe!!!! Plus I would never sell it with a problem like this. But I do Know guys that would. I know of one individual that if hes selling a gun beware there is a reason!!!!

Last edited by Woody402; 09/23/18 07:55 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.