April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Maybe, maybe not. You won't notice me.

I am quite content to go unnoticed in times of civil strife. I embrace my lack of remarkability, my blandness bordering on invisibility. I am the hard boiled egg on white bread on a white tablecloth.

I am the English sparrow, the blackbird, and the anchovy, all wrapped into one. No one notices I've been there, before I am not.

I am the unremarkable "Grey man".

I have tested my lack of interest to others from time to time. Going so far as to introduce myself and make small talk. I leave people believing they were talking to themselves. I am they. Seldom do people remember me, or even care we met. I have almost completely perfected my frictionless path through group assemblies. I leave no footprints or distinguishable aroma's. My loudest tie is brown. My wildest vehicle is tan. The wheels are black. The windows are tinted dark. The mufflers are the quietest. The tire treads just M+S generics. I wear a grey baseball cap. A dark blue windbreaker. Loose tactical jeans. Sunglasses. No facial hair. No tats.

No one cares, and I go about my business.
Or maybe not. You won't really remember if I was there or if you just thought I was.

It's all just grey.

Yah.............grey tweed, I guess.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is that part of the fifty shades of grey?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Resurrecting this thread

As I prepare to leave Perthshire, I can only say this

Shooting driven Red Grouse in the Scottish Highlandis is one of the most sublime wingshooting experiences a man can have.

I feel the exact same way about hunting grouse in the Sandhills and Chukar hunting up in the mountains.

laugh laugh

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

There will surface a pattern to my lack of significance. I suspect when these images are finished posting, that no one will even remember who posted them. Just jelly beans in a big pretty jar.

Dickson round action, re-furbished by Mackay-Brown.

I killed a few birds with it.
It was quite dynamic.

I didn't care for the entirely matte finish.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who was that masked man???

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There will surface a pattern to my lack of significance.

Youre Canadian?

Pretty funny how fast that woman flew back from Europe.

I didn't care for the entirely matte finish.

Nothing a couple white line spacers wouldnt fix.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting photo.

Someone will ask "What is it like to shoot Red grouse over a heather backdrop?" This image will do much to explain it.

It's not flat.
The ground before you undulates like the ocean surf.
So, if you've ever shot sea ducks between the swells, that's a good start.
Now you see me, now you don't.

They are more or less at eye level.

But then, because they want to increase the sport, they tipped the sea bed on a 40 degree angle, and then, cut the butts into the hillside level and flat.

So, this image was shot dead level out front, zoomed in to about 35 yards, on a fellow picking my birds. I was in a end butt for this drive, and he had been "Flanking" to my right, so several birds were laying near his post.

So, in some sort of summary, the shooting is like teal, or Chukar, between the waves, tipped on a skew, either uphill, or down and away.

Many of my shots bristled the feathers across their backs, causing me to have my loader remind me in mid mount, "Under the chin, under the chin". Even what appear as straight on shots are actually downhill curlers. Very frustrating for a "cover the bird" kind of guy.

From my sick bed.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 08/29/18 01:06 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely photos, the weather appears to have cooperated. No chechering on the Dickson? Interesting...I think it is pretty, but I wonder If your grip was secure well shooting? What would your Guess be as to the ratio of English guns to others as well as the ratio of side-by-sides to over and unders?

Owen
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking quite good for ditch dummies in SD. Northland Outdoors shows a 47% increase from 2017.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Owen, The team of guns changed each day. Driven Red grouse is expensive, and, with the collapse of the stocks this year, many people had their days canceled.

In terms of what sort of interesting guns were used, I photographed a Purdey SxS, a trio of FAMAR's OU's, a pair of Longthorne Hesketh OU's, Mackay-Brown, Dickson, AyA #1's, and my traveling guns, the Miroku's.

Most were 12's. 32 gram English 5's. the chosen load for most.
I, shot Eley Zenith Copper plated 28 gram 5's w/ fibre wads.

But the thing most fascinating to me about the "Guns", is that they were legitimate, devoted, wingshots. Wigshooting plays an important role in all of their lives. It was a treat to be surrounded by kindred spirits.

I suppose to a degree, the economic bar is high enough to ensure this to some extent.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.