May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (tanky), 545 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,637
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Pete
I am not familiar with the Vanguard finish, but the Mk V W'by finish is not poly. It is a fullerplast two part epoxy finish. It is one tough muther. I did a stock for a guy with years of scratches and dents...and that is hard to do with that finish. I started with 150 grit which didn't even cut through the finish. I had to go to 60 grit on a power finish sander.

Good luck.

Exact same finish. I toured the factory in Japan in the 1980's. If was a spray on finish and then put into very large drying booth.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Browning used to advertise DuPont Imron as their finish a few decades ago. That stuff and Fullerplast are just about as resistant to strippers as I've stripped. I ended up using an aircraft stripper. Probably can't get the strong strippers anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I scrape off any finish. It isn't as difficult as it may sound and is a lot less messy than liquid strip products. Doesn't cost anything other than the sharp edge of a couple of common blade knives.
Won't hurt you like the chemicals unless you get careless.

Just a nice sharp regular edge to the blade and use it as a scraper. No need to turn the edge over and form a cabinet makers type finishing scraper though they can be used too in the process.

The common blade used carefully will curl the old finish right off and down to the wood smoothly. Then you can go further if you want to and remove some scratches and marks too.
Work from any direction.
Careful how you 'enter' the work so the blade doesn't leave a mark on the surface. You want to gradualy come down onto the surface and begin scraping the surface.

Using your thumb to back up the blade works well one handed as a gauge of sorts. Your thumb feels the surface before the blade hits it and allows a soft landing onto the surface.
Two hands on the blade, one on the tip, will allow good control that way when scraping in heavier cuts into the thicker orig finish.

The work goes quickly. Ready for a some sanding afterwards but very little generally.
Some of the orig finish may still be in the pores of the wood depending on how deep into the surface you go. But that'll help fill the grain for the next finish and will disappear especially w/ wet sanding (if you use that method).

Clean up is a broom and dustpan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter, that's fine for those modified varnish/poly finishes from Browning, Beretta, and such, but that epoxy finish on a Weatherby Mk V is another thing.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had success removing these finishes by heating them with a heat gun and then scraping them.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

That will work, but you better be REAL careful...
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 09/03/18 11:42 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

my go to solution for removing most finishes is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), the solvent utilized in making fiberglass.

35 years ago had a browning rifle with the typical "alligator" cracking of the factory double-based urethane finish. lived next door to an engineer who worked for a large petrochem plant, and he brought me small samples of every solvent they used/produced - none of them would touch the stuff.

ultimately had someone tell me to try mek, and sourced some from a fiberglass boat repairman. it simply melted the finish away with little time or effort. it can be found at any paint company stores.

my method is a small disposable pan (tinfoil pie plate will do), and a cheap paintbrush, always work outside (this stuff is quite nasty) and wear chemical resistant gloves, eye protection, etc. I hold the stock upright in the pan and start at the highest point. simply continue to brush the solvent onto the finish until it is gone. as it runs down the lower areas it will start the process before you reach them.

in my experience, 15-20 minutes will take care of virtually any finish. the volatility of mek insures that it will not soak into the wood (it evaporates extremely quickly), so you are left with a bone-dry surface without any hazards related to chipping/sanding/etc.

happy labor day to all!
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

That was an excellent first post Tom. Welcome on your first post.

You set the bar pretty high for yourself. I hope there is more where that came from.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by John Roberts; 09/03/18 01:59 PM.

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) had been banned as being a cancer causer?

foxes rule
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.