Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have just stated my sentiments perfectly. Well said.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
It's niche was with women and chill'ern...

That's what I thought too jOe. But then I broke down on a dare and started shooting released quail with my Ithaca Lefever nitro special .410. I was surprised as how much fun and how effective it was...Geo

Time I did that I told them next time I come I'm bringing me a long handled tennis racket to swat them pen razed quails with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only game in town these days, jOe...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe ain't never seen how "quailbirds" that are raised with no contact with humans, in flight pens, trained to fear hawks, and released in August, fly by the time cold weather comes, either. If he had he would know better than to think they all have to be kicked off the ground.

I shot quail last year in October that were all but indistinguishable from wild birds, and had been released in August. The owner and I bumped into a big covey late in the day that we think may have been true wild birds, or some of last year's releases, or birds that were raised from hatches by a previous year's released birds. But, the coveys we had been in all afternoon flushed so wild that we didn't even get within good gun range of them sometimes before they got up, just from the sound of us walking up towards the pointers in the dry grass and leaves.

I grew up hunting wild birds. I know what it was like. I have also seen what it is like to have to kick up birds. Those are not the only two kinds of quail.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep convincing yourself it'll become easier the older you get.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your universe is not the world. You admitted you've shot released birds once, but you know all about them. Yeah, right.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not much I can add to this thread. But I was working on a 410 this week and I can tell you it puckered me a bit. I had the barrels supported on each end with soft wood blocks in a pressbrake and was pushing down on them in the middle enough to curve them an amazing amount just to bend them about .010" on this lil' Italian sxs that I have more pesos in than I'd like to admit.Lots of spring-back in those barrels. I was taking out a slight upward bend they had which caused me to shoot this gun consistently high. If I've learned anything from shooting 410, it's the gun fit is critical, moreso than a 12g.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hope you are all enjoying the 410 debate and the films we produce.
here is one of our films that you might enjoy
regards from the UK

Dave Carrie [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/UJf7Mb7lKj4[/video]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to hear the barrel bending went well, Chuck. If you have the chance, and the inclination, I know several of us would appreciate your posting details, and pics if available. Maybe over on the DIY Gunsmithing forum here.

Very good film, miroku. I really enjoyed that one.

Thanks, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Good to hear the barrel bending went well, Chuck. If you have the chance, and the inclination, I know several of us would appreciate your posting details, and pics if available. Maybe over on the DIY Gunsmithing forum here.

Very good film, miroku. I really enjoyed that one.

Thanks, SRH

Stan,
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the bending/straightnening. I was pretty sucked up and didn't think of pictures. But I'm sure a pic of the barrels in their full curve on the pressbrake would get some comments. It was a hot day in my friend's shop and one of the toolmakers was running the 8ft hydraulic pressbrake while I held the setup. Sweat was running down my face as we had to sneak up on the amount of bend using the pre-set limit on the machine, so as to not overbend. We repeated the bend maybe 30-40 times, checking with a straightedge after each bend. The gun is that little tiny framed Ferlib with rose and scroll, 28" barrels, 5 1/2 lbs, straight stock, DT. I like the gun a lot, but have always shot high with it. Looking at the stock fit, I didn't think I could see over the breach if I lowered the comb or bent the stock down. So, I checked the barrel straightness. It had maybe .010" of up sway. Not really detectable looking alongside with the eye, but with a straightedge, it was visible. The goal was to take that out. Shooting at the pattern plate and clays should tell if I did what was needed.

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/01/18 11:07 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.