April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Der Ami, griz, 2 invisible), 934 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,175
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nudge,

As usual you are the troll, you have no idea what you are talking about. However you love to attack people personally. I belong to only 3 sports forums, you are an ass. With a big mouth and no brains.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beans,

"As usual" as in...over the last couple posts since I figured out who you were and said so?

You don't know me and I've never engaged you in conversation until last week, and for about 2 posts when you blew up on the Lefever forum. But I'm willing to bet many people on here know YOU...and just haven't put 2 and 2 together yet.

16ga society
28ga society
shooting sportsman

Yer all over the place dropping nuggets of misinformation and fake expertise. The world of gun forums is smaller than you think, Beans. You can't spin a web of crazy and think those comments won't catch up to you.

You were doing fine on here for about a week until you started with all the bombastic rudeness.

If you spent as much time actually studying/reading/researching information as you do doling out nonsense, you'd probably have learning a thing or three by now. YES, we know you've heard of Brophy and Hutchins. Both friends of your family, as I recall reading? Brophy interviewed your family, or something, before writing one of his books?

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phunter,
You said what I was thinking throughout this whole thread, and was on the verge of saying myself!
As to the Cody vs LCSCA letter, yesterday I received an email copy of a Cody letter from a seller on a gun I was considering buying---the statistics are as follows:
Grade 2
20 gauge
manufactured 1909
30" barrels
Having been collecting Smiths for 19 years and lettering every gun that I have purchased (all pre-'13s) the following is a standard letter I would expect from the LCSCA after having scrutinized the pictures of that same gun:
Grade 2E
Ejectors
20 Gauge
manufactured 1909
30" barrels
date shipped
serial number
when ordered
where shipped (if recorded)
inspectors name(")
stock dimensions
barrel type (material)
total production by gauge
the letter would close with an extensive discussion of the history of the gauge, engraving available, kind of wood, and available variations in the above. ALL THIS IN ABOUT A ONE WEEK TURNAROUND!!!!
RGD, Keep beating Walt's and Cody's drum !!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phunter,

Do yourself a big favor and learn more about L.C. Guns before you shoot off your big uneducated mouth, about people you do not know or have never had actual contact with, especially Walt Schiessl and myself. Your little brother hood of fools does not intimidate me what so ever. I will not take personal insult from you or any other member of this forum who believe they have some kind of credibility. Especially guys like this Psyco Nudge and his buddies.

Get bent.

XLax,

I will keep referencing Walt's and the Cody Museum. Believe it. Bill Brophy set the Cody Museum up to be the Historical Record keeper of L.C. Smith Hunter Arms Company, seems lot of people are now jealous of that fact.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/14/18 04:26 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Click on the second photo. Clearly the wood is beveled in two different areas, along the trigger and by the end of the action. It allowed more wood to be left on the lower stock and fingers but is not factory at all. To claim this is factory is gibberish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I kind of inherited the L.C. Smith Man from Walt Schiessl when he passed. I use it to honor his memory, he wanted it that way. I respect your organization however doubt I will ever join. With Walt and John's help I have recovered a few of our family stolen guns, the search still goes on for others. If you happen to run across some of the guns we talked about, I would appreciate being notified. I do miss Walt and John very much.

It seems you gentlemen now put your L.C. Smith Collectors Group above the Cody Museum, I definitely know what Walt Schiessl would say."

RDG
First of all, I still have the number of your stolen "A4" and would recognize the gun immediately if it ever came to my attention; but to date I've not seen the gun, or heard any rumors that it may have surfaced. As to the explanation of the "L.C. Smith Man" moniker, thanks for the clarification. I've not corresponded with Brother Walt since 2003 and had no idea he'd passed; so I hope he is resting in peace. Many people did indeed recognize Walt as THE L.C. Smith authority; and I was one of those people until I began doing my own serious research on the Smith gun. I never met Brother Walt personally and I hope you understand that what I am about to relate is not to disparage his memory; but simply relate a personal experience and why I don't consider Walt Schiessl the Smith gun authority he claimed to. When I acquired my 1901 vintage Special Grade LC Smith depicted in the Houchins book (maybe an A4?), I wanted to learn all I could about that gun, and Brother Walt was the first person I reached out too. I sent him a number of detailed photos and asked for his professional opinion as to the engraver. Walt hand wrote a long and detailed response (which I still have) and declared that "it was his learned opinion that my gun was engraved by none other than Charles Jerred, Jr." Quite honestly I was flabbergasted at the response I'd received, because anyone who'd done the most basic research on L.C. Smith engravers would have known Charles Jerred never worked at the gunworks until 1946; and further, since Charles Jerred, Jr. wasn't even born until 1928, he wasn't even a gleam in his old man's eyeballs in 1901 when the Special was built. So perhaps you can understand why I'd place many times more faith in my personal research than I'd ever place in any information Brother Walt was willing to share; although I will confess his "stories" were quite entertaining.
As to anyone deserving of the moniker "L.C. Smith Man"; I reserve that title for Cliff White who I first met at an Atlanta gun about 1980; and for whom I still have his business card from that meeting stating "Cliff While, The L.C. Smith Man". Although I do have my differences with Brother Cliff, he's owned more Smith guns and unique company and employee items and artifacts than anyone I've ever known or can imagine. Before he decided to liquidate his original Smith collection (because he wasn't making enough new discoveries to keep Smith collecting interesting), he owned (among many other guns and Smith things) 15 of the 30 original Deluxe Grade Smiths. No one I know has ever been able to claim that accomplishment! As to John Houchins he was direct, and often rude; but always in a humorous side-splitting kind of way, and I really loved old John. But John was an attorney, and to his passing remained convinced that all he had to do was establish "reasonable cause" when trying to prove something factual; so I and others in the Smith world disagree with some of the conclusions found in his book. Still, his book is a very interesting and entertaining read; and I, and the collecting world remain forever grateful that john expended all the time and treasure he did to get his work published.

And finally, I do indeed "put the L.C. Smith Collectors Group above the Cody Museum" in terms of what we provide to the L.C. Smith collector; and I honestly don't give a tinker's toot "what Walt Schiessl would say" because I've learned first hand his "opinions" could be worthless. If I had published the information he gave me on the Special Smith, we'd have both looked like fools. And for the record anyone requesting a Cody letter will receive from the clerk handling Smith gun request letters that day only what they can regurgitate from the line entry for that serial number contained wihin the ledger. These people are not Smith collectors and could care less about digging up any additional information, which I can attest they wouldn't have anyway. A letter from the LCSCA is far more informative and will add as much, and often more value to a Smith gun than a Cody letter.
And since I'm on a roll, I'll make one more comment for the record regarding Brother Walt. When the LCSCA was formed in 2003, I personally called Mr. Schiessl and asked, since he was the nationally recognized LC Smith authority, if he would join the organization. He thanked me for the invitation but said he didn't have time for another organization. So I protested and responded "but Walt we're doing and publishing lots of research and; since you regularly advertise and sell Smith guns, you'll be a direct beneficiary of the information we'll provide. You realize that fact, so you of all people should be a member". Bottom line was that "The L.C. Smith Man" refused to have any association at all with the LCSCA. So ended my last ever conversation with Brother Walt; and yet in spite of zero support from the nationally known and recognized Mr. Schiessl, the LCSCA, as well as the credibility of the organization itself, has and continues to do extremely well. Brother Walt obviously convinced you that you shouldn't be a part of the LCSCA either; but if you were an individual who formed his own decisions, you'd be wise to take the bold step of finding out for yourself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon,
I never claimed it was I said it needs to be looked at to determine what has been done. Pictures can be deceiving, identification markings need to be checked.
on any gun you are looking at, shooting from the hip is pure garbage.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/14/18 04:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

topgun,

Your opinion of Walt differs from mine and I knew him for many many years. As Walt grew older he did make mistakes, and I tried to advise him of such. His memory was failing toward the end most definitely. We will see how you and I both do toward our end also. Yes Walt did influence me and his opinions were never worthless you are dead wrong about that, as to not joining the club, John and I had a long conversation about it, I however make my own decisions, and from the personal attacks form people in your club here, Walt Schiessls advise was dead on and I made the correct decision. As for deserving the handle I use, I will continue to use it, in Walt honor, he was my friend. Those speaking derogatory about him are wrong. I did not take your explanation as derogatory, you had contact with him as a very old gentlemen, I hope to live to be as old, if I make the same kind of mistakes God be kind to me. I do take your unkind words about John a different way however, we had some conversations about people thinking he was entertaining, you say he was our friend, now I understand his meaning. John was an A typical male Lawyer, we got along well, I never knew him as well as I knew Walt however.

Sorry your club is not the historical record keeper for L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms no matter how much you would like it to be. Bill Brophy made that decision long ago.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 08/14/18 05:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ryman Gun Dog

Sorry your club is not the historical record keeper for L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms no matter how much you would like it to be. Bill Brophy made that decision long ago.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

crazy

I'm gonna make popcorn, get a seat outside for the sunset, and follow this. Certainly better than anything on tv.

I said it before...Andy Kaufman.

- NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somebody get the cuffs and hood for this nut case Nudge.

RGD/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.