May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, Karl Graebner, DaveB), 547 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,557
Posts546,315
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our Ohio grouse are non exsentance, a lot of us grouse hunters cornered the ODNR and pointed to WN. 10 years ago. ODNR pointed out it should have no effect on grouse but should be detrimental to crows. We have more crows than you can count and no grouse and very few blue jays, all to WN.
Just my 2 cents

Sidelock
Sidelock

The government is here and they would like to help you!

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had read that all corvids were very suseptable to the West Nile virus, but, I can honestly say I still see plenty of ravens, jays, crows and whiskey jacks every time I'm in the northern part of MN. If they have suffered, you can't tell it by me.
After last years rosy reports, and my poor results, I will take DNR reporting on just about anything with a 3/4 ton pickup full pinch of salt.
In MN, we are suffering the foolish leadership of one Mark "Mumbles" Dayton, and careening from one disaster to another in state governance. MN Sure, MN Lars, millions in state day care funds leaving the country to finance Somali rebels, oldsters being robbed, murdered, butt raped and beaten in state inspected nursing homes, and these are simply the ones that made the news. The DNR is chronically underfunded, and mismanaged. We [censored] about the hunting and access, but, the entire state governance is a dumpster fire, here, today.
I am hoping for far better leadership in the state, this fall.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Georgia's DNR has undertaken an effort to raise funds for "extra" equipment they need to help combat night hunters, and other miscreants, who have them out matched with high tech thermal equipment. Early this year they offered a GA DNR Law Enforcement license plate to the public. I signed up to get one of the first ones that will be issued, at a NWTF banquet this spring. I hope it helps them get the tools they need to better enforce the game laws, especially night hunting.

https://gadnrle.org/sites/default/files/...%20fillable.pdf

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

West Nile does have a particularly serious impact on corvids. However, what happens over time is that birds that have been exposed and survive produce successive generations with greater resistance to the disease. So while WNV may be a short term problem for grouse, it's less likely to be a long term problem. Which is at least some good news for those of us who might have to suffer through a few seasons' worth of reduced numbers. The bad part for the near term is that it's happening when we should be looking at the next peak in grouse numbers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

WI DNR and the RGS are now doing a scientific test/study and have testing kits available for hunters to gather scientific information to determine whether WNV is actually having any effect on the Grouse population. Remember Turkey are unaffected in the wild by WNV, it maybe that Grouse are also.

RGS is not supporting any season change in WI or any other state without scientific evidence that WNV is actually effecting over all Grouse populations. Unfortunately Pa has altered it's Grouse season, eliminating late season Grouse hunting, on an unproven WNV theory.

In the next few seasons there should be enough testing data collected by RGS and WI DNR to determine whether WNV is actually effecting over all Grouse populations in the wild. At the present time there is no actual evidence either way. No proper WNV scientific study/testing has been accomplished on Ruffed Grouse in the wild at this time.

The Grouse population fluctuation is well with in the accepted natural rate in WI at this time. Further as Larry Brown indicated this WNV problem will cure itself over longevity by natural selection. However in the short term it could be a serious problem if in fact WNV is actually causing Grouse to perish early.

Ryman Gun Dog
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; 07/26/18 03:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just read a report that a dead blue jay in Marathon County, WI (Wausau), just south of me, tested positive for WNV.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blue Jays were one of my favorite birds they alerted me to a lot of game over the years.

Years back dead Jays were laying everywhere and all tested tested positive for WNV. It's a rare occurrence to see one today.

The question I have is how the hell did WNV get in our country...it had to come in with a group of muzlums.

Maybe Larry our local Muzlum loving ex'spurt can tell us how WNV got here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Just read a report that a dead blue jay in Marathon County, WI (Wausau), just south of me, tested positive for WNV.

Luckily (well, at least to grouse) blue jays are in the Corvidae family, same as crows and ravens. If we start getting high numbers of positive test results in the Galliformes family (grouse, turkey, pheasant) then it is time to worry.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Blue Jays were one of my favorite birds they alerted me to a lot of game over the years.

Years back dead Jays were laying everywhere and all tested tested positive for WNV. It's a rare occurrence to see one today.

The question I have is how the hell did WNV get in our country...it had to come in with a group of muzlums.

Maybe Larry our local Muzlum loving ex'spurt can tell us how WNV got here.

Right now, we're not doing a very good job letting the ones in that have been "vetted" by acting as interpreters with our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's after promising them visas:

www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/they-fought-te...2027?li=BBnb7Kz

Long article, but the last sentence--a quote from an Army officer whose life was saved by his interpreter--pretty much sums it up:

"The most important equipment that I had for my survival and, more importantly, the survival of the soldiers under my purview, was the interpreter standing next to me."

Those of us who've operated in foreign countries pretty much understand that if we don't speak the language, then we'd better have some local who can speak Arabic in Iraq, or Dari or Pushto in Afghanistan, and who also understands the local culture. Those Muslim volunteers are risking their lives, and--as the quote makes clear--play a critical role in making sure that fewer Americans come home in body bags.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.