March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#519030 07/23/18 01:19 PM
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently acquired a new a "Garden Gun." A single barrel .410 by Harrington and Richardson Arms Co., Worcester, Ma. It's a Bay State model which was their "economy model." Not sure why but the "economy model" has a checkered walnut butt stock and forend. As well as an ejector. The gun cleaned up very nicely for a gun made in 1940.

Now for my question. The entire ejector mechanism appears to be located in the barrel lump and I do not see anything else that interacts with that mechanism. The ejector is activated every time the gun is opened. Anyone know if this gun is functioning correctly before I start messing with the ejector mechanism?

Thanks,
Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an H&R/NEF in 12 gauge. The ejector kicks off every time the gun is opened on it as well. It operates independently from the trigger mechanism. Gets to be a pain when you have an unfired shell in the chamber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's how all the old single barrels worked. Ejection whether fired or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the most part these old singles did not have any form of positive extraction. The extractor/ejector was simply pushed in on closing against a coil spring in the barrel lump. On those which did not eject the spring pushed the extractor out on opening. Those which ejected had a catch which held the ejector in until the gun was opened. The catch was then tripped & the shell ejected. If that catch is not present then it will simply act as an extractor without ejecting.
Neither had a mechanical means of starting a "Stuck" shell. but was entirely dependent on the strength of the spring. This was pretty much universal on the "Hardware" singles. High grade Single Barrel Trap guns & such were of course more refined.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not all single barreled guns had ejectors which functioned every time the barrel was opened. Ithaca Knick singles only ejected spent shells.

jerry born

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Ithaca Knick was one of the "More Refined" trap guns I mentioned, not the typical hardware/farmers gun. Note that even on those I stated "For the Most Part", that did leave room for possible exceptions, though off hand I am unable to name one specifically of the guns being mentioned IE H&R or equivalent.

Miller/TN
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. It's been about sixty years since I had a single barrel and couldn't remember how the ejector worked.

Dennis

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=DLA].... The entire ejector mechanism appears to be located in the barrel lump and I do not see anything else that interacts with that mechanism. The ejector is activated every time the gun is opened. ...
[/quote

There is usually a sear for the mechanism to trip the ejector that has a slightly extended 'foot' out the side of the bbl lump.
Usually the left side.

That foot engages a shelf inside the frame as the bbl is opened and pulls the sear downward,,That releases the ejector itself which is under spring pressure and snaps rearward.

Closing the action/bbl pushes the ejector in and recocks it. The sear reengages it and holds it with it's own small spring giving it engagement.

Removing the bbl from the frame..forend off,,allows the bbl to slip rearward just enough for that foot to miss the frame shelf. That keeps the ejector cocked when the bbl is taken down from the gun,,or is supposed to. Some will release at the slightest mmovement when they get worn.

Also a good idea just like a SXS or other ejector breakopen to place your thumb over the ejector to dampen it when it snaps out if there's no shell in the chamber. The cross pin that limits the ejectors travel takes a lot of shock as does the spindle of the ejector blade if not done. The springs are pretty stout in them as a rule.
It's not a Parker,,but no use damaging one for no reason.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good explanation Kutter, much better than my feeble attempt. We are however in total agreement.

Miller/TN
DLA Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Kutter, great explanation. Will take a closer look when I get back home.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.