May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 257 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought this on Gunbroker.

Nice French double from a renown maker. The bad news is the barrels were cut and 21" is a fairly short barrel. The good news is I have been looking for a fast handling open (read: no) choke gun for woodcock, grouse and rabbits in thick cover. The engraving is very nice and the receiver appears to be "French grey". Anyways, should be an enjoyable gun in the field if I can shoot it. My main concern is the rib hollow being properly filled. I guess I will know when I pick it up. What do you think?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/778108146

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like it would be a really effective bird and bunny getter.
Nice looking fences by the way.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Karl, I'm hoping everything is solid on the gun and it patterns well. I've always heard good things about VC...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Given the correct loads, you'd be surprised at how well the open choked gun will do it's job at closer ranges.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

HELICOBLOC, V-C proverbial Stop, Acier Diamant, church windows & straight-hand grip, nothing short 'bout this St. Etienne offering less the tubes.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=488564&page=1

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Raimey, there is some very interesting information on that thread. Any idea why there are two sets of numbers on the frame?

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a pretty decent old gun. I'm not crazy about hacksawed tubes, but, if you have a good use for it, you got a great deal. Of late, many double guys are convinced they simply can't be seen shooting less than 32" tubes, but, lots of my guns have 26" barrels, and seem just fine in a grousy thicket, or, a snowy cattail slew, when I'm trying to quickly find my Setter, who is on point.
Guns get kinda LOUD when the barrels are cut short like that.

Shoot it in good health.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted,

You're absolutely right. My 25.5" barreled Bernie Gamecock rings my ears and (this is the topic of a thread I've been thinking of writing for some time), I need to find some hunting ear protection for this season.

That said, I absolutely LOVE long barrel guns in the fields and the waterfowl marshes. I know short barreled guns are not en vogue these days, but as you said, they can be extremely handy in the tight quartered alder and aspen thickets or when walking through walls of greenbriar, grape or multiflora rose. Sometimes, function is just more important than fashion to me. I'm hoping this gun will give me a small advantage in these specific situations. Then again, I could be terribly wrong. I'm still learning...

I should add that the seller didn't list it, but I called and asked if there was a "65" on the flats and he said yes. With all the 12 gauge 2.5" chambered guns I've been acquiring lately, it appears a case or two of RSTs will be on the purchase list before this fall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd hazard a guess that the H512 is a V-C sub who filed it & struck it up for V-C to finish in-house? Then the 1085 to be that of V-C? Would be nice to see an image of the flats.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I'd hazard a guess that the H512 is a V-C sub who filed it & struck it up for V-C to finish in-house? Then the 1085 to be that of V-C? Would be nice to see an image of the flats.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

I will surely do so when I pick up the gun...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.