May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (cpa, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,990
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#51329 08/05/07 05:07 PM
chux Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked up a old "twin ports" damascus hammer 12 ga. and had the pleasure of putting some 21/2 shells thru it on clays, these old guns are alot of fun to shoot, smacked 20 of 25 on sporting clays. not bad for a gun i bought for 100 dollars that was hanging over some guys fireplace...deals can be had, just getting harder to find..

Sidelock
Sidelock

What are twin ports? Not pro-ported it it! Chuckle,
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chux:
How did you you determine it was safe to shoot? I'm asking because I started the thread on safety-testing a very nice old Husqvarna 15 with twist barrels, and will soon be receiving a Tisdale 16 from one of the folks here on the forum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike I think "twin ports" is slang for SxS in Alabama.

Bill I looked at a Tisdale that was sold on Gunbroker or Guns of America a while back...I hope it's not that gun.
The bores were so pitted a Cock Roach could hide in the pits.

I checked the one I saw was a 12 not a 16.

Last edited by HomelessjOe; 08/05/07 09:30 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tisdale. For what it's worth I searched for information on him and discovered that all of their records were destroyed in the blitz when Whitehall Street went up in blazes. He did have two sons. One emmigrated to Canada and later became the mayor of Vancouver. The other headed to New Zealand and established a sporting goods firm that continues today--sort of a mini Cabelas. Phoned the decendent in New Zealand and they have no information on their great-grandad. Deadend.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chux, ain't it great that in this modern world where today's latest and greatest is obsolete tomorrow, that some things just don't change. For all practical purposes a hammer gun made over 100 years ago is just as efficient as a brand new zip gun. After all, a shotgun is nothing more than a smooth tube that throws tiny chunks of lead out of the muzzle. Enjoy your "new" hammer gun and don't feel undergunned. I recently picked up a W. & C. Scott made in 1870 that is deadly on skeet. What a hoot!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20 bore tisdale (of NZ) sidelock, decent gun. Not a great gun. Like most Brit guns, judge them for the actual merits and condition of the gun, not the name. As to how do you know if it is safe, a visual inspection combined with a bore gage and a good knowledge of proofs goes a long ways, or you could have a guy who is familar with Brit doubles give it a look over.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gee, I hope we're talking about those with: flat ribs, side-clips, no safety things designed for high volume "Blood Sport" shooting. You would not want to put too much mileage on those game guns by using them for sporting games right?

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In our Oregon shoot one lucky fellow got a 25 out of a 25 on both skeet and five stand with a 1912 Claybourn. They can be shot fine if they fit. He has owned the gun less than nine months.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
chux Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Twin ports is printed on the side plates of this gun, i could find nothing at all on it, other then 1888 (date?) under barrels.
Bill, I have a very scientific method to determine if its safe to shoot, I strap it down, put a proper shell in it, tie a string to the trigger and get very far away and behind something and pull! I inspect it, and repeat untill i feel safe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.