March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 295 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back many years ago, my wife decided to ride RAGBRAI--the Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. We weren't looking for anything fancy in the way of a bike. Found the right bike shop. They recommended a used Raleigh. Worked out quite well, and she still has it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Danre shoot guns and 50 dollar junk bikes....those were the days. cool

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Back many years ago, my wife decided to ride RAGBRAI--the Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. We weren't looking for anything fancy in the way of a bike. Found the right bike shop. They recommended a used Raleigh. Worked out quite well, and she still has it.

Sheldon Brown would have agreed. Your wife is a tough girl.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
My wife and I do a lot of bike touring in the off season of bird hunting, sometimes 500-1000 miles a summer. I noticed that you have what looks to be a Brooks English saddle. Those seats make almost any bike feel like the best, very comfortable after they conform to you bottom!
Vintage steel bikes hold a special place of respect in my heart, and I see a good number of them on the tours. Mine is an 80's vintage chrome Schwinn that I have ridden 26,000 miles on so far, and wouldn't give it up for anything more modern. Biking is a great way to keep the legs in shape for bird season.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

26,000 miles...boy you're a biking fool Karl. Teddy probably ain't rode 5 miles in his life time.

This past spring my friend fed an older fellow supper in middle Tennessee he was in his mid 80's and on his way from New Orleans to Michigan on a bicycle with a little trailer behind it. crazy
Told me about his bike ride across America and riding completely around New Zealand years back with all it's one lane bridges....

I asked if he ever saw the movie Forrest Gump....he said he had.

I then told him as far as people I've met he was definitely the Forrest Gump of bicycles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In bikes, as in shotguns, I could not find precisely what I wanted so made my own cocktail- titanium Merlin MTB frame, 1X8 gearing with narrow-wide 30T chain ring before the setup became fashionable. Total weight 22lbs.

Wish I could do the same by joining Darne barrels (the ones minus the bottom rib) to a Dickson non ejector side pedal frame.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing as esoteric as a titanium frame (I won't be riding in Europe in any bikes races) but, I have done similar:

This is a bike I lusted after as a kid. 1972 Peugeot UO8, the base model. They were light for how much steel they contained, and mine has been on a diet. Wheels, seatpost, and a few other parts are now aluminum. The pedals and the brakes were among the few things Peugeot got right, and they, along with the shifters, are OEM. Advertised as having long seat stays for better use with paniers, it has relaxed frame geometry, and is a hoot to ride. I prefer steel farmes.

More steel:

1973 Schwinn Le Tour. The kid who got this for Christmas in my neighborhood didn't ride much, and it ended up in a dumpster with two flat tires when his family moved. I used it the way it was sold for perhaps two decades, and then put it on a diet. These bikes were produced by Panasonic in Japan for Schwinn. This one is down to an honest 22 pounds with Greenfield kickstand.

I still ride my three and five speeds more than my 10s. I have some carpel tunnel issues sneaking in due to my job, the uprights are more comfortable these days, and I'm seldom in a hurry. Just like my guns, I don't have a collection, I have an accumulation.

The right English gunmaker will refurbish a gun for you, perhaps you could specify no lower rib on a sidelever? Its just money, right?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That Le Tour color is so iconic of the era. I remember it well, and even lusted after the bike just for the color, but never got one. I recall they were pretty darn heavy compared to others in their class.

thanks for the tour of your bike "accumulation". Pretty nostalgic for sure.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you guys remember the "Teledyne Titan", titanium frame. Used to get purple finger prints on it from your sweat.
I have a Schwinn Tandem, an old Varsity model, a Continental, and a bunch of Euro 10 speeds. Bottechia, Ghanna, Gudereit, some others.

I used to get $3.00 a wheel in 1975 to spoke wheels. Built, trued, tensioned, and out the door, a pair an hr. Spoke until your fingers bled.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remember, only steel is real! I've avoided carbon fiber and aluminum ones because steel just feels correct. It's interesting how bikes are coming full circle, with longer wheel bases and more relaxed geometry with room for larger tires. A great way to condition one's legs for bird season.
Karl

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.