March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, smlekid), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't built too many wheels. I know I can't do it fast. The only thing titanium around here is the cylinder in a S&W 360PD Airweight Chief's Special.

The bikes are all low end. When upgrading components was cheaper than a new bike, they got upgraded components. If you keep your eyes open, you can find plenty of free bikes, and I've fixed and given many bikes away. I have more than I need. Just like guns. But a bike ride is always good fun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Honeymoon with 1st wife was on Nantucket. We rode the ferry over from Woods Hole but left the car. So we biked. It was her idea. I fell off and road-rashed my leg. Never believe anyone who says "its just like riding a bike"!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Karl, I sometimes use my bike for snipe hunting where the fields are a mile from the parking lot and only foot or bike travel is allowed. Same for some of my turkey hunting. The bike is a Craig's List Cannondale with an alloy frame. I have gun rack permanently mounted on the handle bars for such occasions. Before bird seasons, I let my Brittanys pull me around the neighborhood to get them in shape. I'm a lost cause.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why don't you ride that up to our favorite woodcock haunts, Gil? Leaves much less of a carbon footprint than a truck. grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

GLS,
That really is a great idea. I once came across a small game hunter on a logging road with a .22 rifle attached to his mountain bike. The bike is a good way to get to a hunting destination, rather than hiking if you can. Don't forget, the legs still get a good workout.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

MTB is not a bad way to get around. One can get Schwinn or Mongoose for <$200 and Huffy for about $100. I have "street threads" on mine and use it as a way to get some exercise. I did $20 upgrade from traditional seat to Schwinn buttock one sparing pressure on groin area.
I thought Cannondale was NE kind of thing like SAAB automobile. One learns something new on this board every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now we can see why the full name of Manufrance was Maanufacture Francaise d'armes et cycles. And it was not the only shotgun maker to get involved with bikes, others are:

BSA
HUNTER ARMS
REMINGTON BICYCLES
LEFEVER BIKE CHAIN
FOX MACHINE COMPANY
JOHN LOVEL BOSTON
A.G. SPALDING
IVER JOHNSON ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS
SIMSON OF SUHL
GREENER (F.GREENER)
F.WILLIAMS, (AMERICAN GUN AND CYCLE WORKS)
FN BELGIUM
BROWN BROTHERS (yes, the prestigious UK maker)

GLS love that scabbard!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I had an old Schwinn mountain bike that I used years ago in one of our woodcock spots except it was for turkeys. The road in places was a washout and no four wheel drive truck could get through. I'd have to carry the bike across the washout and pedal onward. I've also used the newer bike for silent and fast movement at Fort Stewart during spring turkey season. It's not easy carrying a turkey while pedaling a bike. I usually have to walk the bike with a turkey but it's welcome burden.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

SGLer, here's a better view of the gun racks without the "scabbard" or gun case. That was a good reminder you posted about the early days of gunmakers and bikes, thanks. Photo taken during the third day run along the ricefields in the Tour de Snipe. 1959 M37 16 gauge. Gil

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the list of former bikemakers Darne was omitted. Here's their expedition model cycle that, as was with their shotguns, didn't appeal with some folks over here.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.