March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mills, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, Jimmy W, John E, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
pmag Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do you know anyone that can switch a safety lever on an R14 from the left side to the right side.

Thanks

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of the few 'smiths in the US that know their way around a Darne, here's one you can call and ask if it can be done:
http://jjperodeau.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wherez that darn X'spurt Mr. Sniffle'beAn when you need him...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Swapping sides of the safety on an R Darne is not a big deal. I swapped mine myself on a 16 ga Halifax' I found it to be even more objectionable that way, at least to me, so turned it back around. These would be great guns if they just had a convenient safety.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greetings!
Pete, Gil has given you the name of the gunsmith I would recommend. What Miller has posted is somewhat true, depending on what Darne you have in hand:

The photo shows my R10, photographed and seen many times on this site, with the breech removed, flipped downside up, safety rotated down for clarity, and my tool of choice for R model Darne safety swapping pointing at the little flat spring that retains the safety. One only need pry up on the spring, pull out the safety lever, and reverse it while holding the spring up.
Then, the fun begins.
There is a detent, a flat spot filed into the shaft of the safety lever, that will no longer be under spring tension, so, you will have lost the indication of safety on or off. You can re-file another detent if the lever works out OK for you ergonomically, which, as Miller has also pointed out, isn't always the case. You may also find that the cuts in the shaft of the safety lever DO NOT align with the sears, and the safety either does not function as a safety, or, does not allow the triggers to trip the sears.
This case requires a bit more investigation and work, and, just from what I have seen over the years of dealing with Darne guns, if you need help figuring out how to flip the safety on a site like this, you aren't likely to be the guy to make it work after that discovery.
Send it to JJ.

Unrelated to Darne guns, I have been off-line for a while. I am fine, and wish to thank those concerned with my welfare. I am at a point where I need a new computer, and find myself not terribly interested in taking care of that problem. That, and spring has always been a very busy time for me. As Craig noted elsewhere, I have an 11 year old son, and as we have done every year since he was five years old, we participated in the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour, completing the 90 mile, two day tour on 50+ year old, 70 lb. English three speed bicycles:

There are perhaps 150 people who do the tour with the local English bicycle club. Most of them drop their cars in Red Wing, climb on their bikes and have no SAG for either the ride down Wisconsin 35, or, the ride back up US 61 in Minnesota the next day. The Colombian chick gets shoved into the cab of the F150, that has spare parts, tools, beer, and compressed air available in the bed. I have become, I suppose, a necessary evil to this group-I serviced a flat tire, this year, and pressed a cotter, sitting on my butt at the Maiden Rock rest stop, last year.

I am stunned at the number of people who hear about the ride, buy a $15 thrift store Raleigh, that has hung in the rafters for 4 decades, and show up on Saturday morning, without so much as a drop of oil being squirted into the rear hub.

Christopher has outgrown his 17" 1963 Raleigh Colt, and this will be his last year on it. The photo shows what you often start with for an older English bicycle that meets specific requirements (this is a small men's frame, that should fit him for several more seasons, when completed). It will be restored, and made ready for a club ride this fall, and he will use it for next years tour.

I've been busy. My brother and mother are disabled, and I spend more time every year helping them get through their days. I look at the for sale section every day, but, posting with the computers available to me at the moment has become a PITA.

I'll try not to be a stranger. Best wishes to you all.

Ted Schefelbein

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, you are the Darnemeister, Le Maitre des Darne, and I believe every word you say about Darnes and Darne clones. But a 70lb English 3 speed?

I toured all over North Florida in 1959-60 on my English 3 speed. We'd pack our stuff in a pair of jeans with the legs tied in a knot at the knee, sling them over the rear fender and off we'd go in the middle of summer with the heat and humidity. Its a wonder heat stroke didn't take us out. And I'm sure that they didn't weigh 70 lbs. Even a Schwinn with front headline, double cross braces and tail fins wouldn't weigh that much. Anyway, sounds like a great ride.

Gene smile

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene,
The Men's 23" in the picture is 58, empty. A bike lock, tea stove, several bottles of water, along with my lucky cresent wrench, go in the Caradice bag. You feel every pound going up the 2 1/2 mile Bay City hill on the WI side.
My Schwinn ballooner newspaper boy's bike, is 72, with the baskets.
My Schwinn Le Tour, rid of steel wheels, seatpost, and a few other sundrys, is 22.

I ride, or, get dragged by my Setter, on a bike, every day.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,

Thanks for the pics and the post! Really a trip down memory lane that made me smile. Happy riding!

Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great posts, Ted. Love that family activity stuff. 91 degrees here in the ole miss at 5:30 p.m.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I've found that biking with the family is a great way to spend Summertime together while getting the legs in shape for bird season. I've flushed some birds on the Rails To Trails routes revealing possible coverts!
Karl

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.